EVGA

My Mods Rig page and computer desk build is complete. Pics to follow!

Author
HayzBaby
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 483
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2020/02/11 15:53:38 (permalink)
Let me know what you guys think!?

Haven't done any overclocking on the build yet, may get into that soon just to see how my silicon luck runs!

any advise for the mods rig or overclocking stuff would be appreciated!

Couldn't get some of the pics to resize like the rest, but these should be enough to get everyone some good eye candy of the build!

Another edit to answer Cool GTX's questions:

1. The only big issues I had was with the drain port. I had to buy multiple drill bits to attempt to counter sink the hole to adapt to the pass through fitting. AlphaCool depicts the pass through fitting on their website as being like 3 inches long, when after i got the fitting in, the whole fitting was only 5/8" long. 9/16" board( plywood plus the epoxy), so I had to counter sink enough of the underside of the desk to have the fitting protrude enough to be able to get the jam nut on the other side.

***Another edit. Another tedious part on the build was lining up my top tubing as straight as possible between the CPU/GPU. I contemplated on fittings after fittings, after extensions etc. Come to realize that it was much easier after all the math and measuring the height of everything. I ran 2x longer extensions off the cpu block, I think they were 20mm or 25mm extensions, i forget. I needed them to be just high enough to pass cleanly over the riser cable coming from the first 16x slot. I was going to do the GPU the same, figure height, length etc. Then buy some more extensions to make it level. Well after cramming math and fractions for hours at a time, found out that I was never going to get these to line up perfectly because of the limited types of extensions and fittings on the market. Then it dawned on me, RECUT my 2 pieces of 2x4 underneath the video card. So I got a final, precise measurement of the CPU plus extensions. Wrote it down, Subtracted the height of the video card setup w/ fittings. Figured out the difference, then just cut 2 taller pieces of 2x4, went out and painted them and tadah. LOL perfect height match. I have them within 1/16th" or 1/8th", slapped a level on the top between the fittings and the bubble is within the lines, so I'm happy with that.

2. I decided on this certain lay out of the GPU and the Res both being flat because of the way the Rads are mounted horizontal as well. I tried my best to run the loop so when I tipped it toward me, the fittings on most of the pieces will be going upward, thus allowing trapped air to push through and float up, let physics help me out a bit hahaha. Once the big air bubbles are cycled through, i just tilt the Res up the other way, making the air bubbles rise away from the inlet of the pump, allowing all the micro bubbles to just rise naturally. I ended up plugging the PWM cable onto my motherboard that way I can adjust the flow rate in the bios, and itll be set for good instead of using the Corsair Link( also, I ran out of fan hub ports, only 6 total).

3. I laid this on the inside of the desk: Carbon Fiber Fabric is 6.2 oz, 3k, 2x2 twill weave by 50 inches wide, 10 yrds long. A slightly tighter weave than the more common 5.7 oz 2x2 twill. This is a commercial grade material. Great bang for the buck, because most people buy this then resell on amazon or ebay for 1/4th the price to make profit. It is actual carbon fiber sheets, and not the cheap vinyl wrap stuff you just stretch out with a heat gun. I dug a little to deep with this material, was not expecting it to be so strong, but also very fragile as the same time. The edges come taped so its easier to cut, which it is. But if you are trying to use that section you just cut, you then have to unpeel the tape and it sticks to the fibrous strands like crazy, thus this pulls the strands out and away from the weave and jacks up the whole sheet if you are not careful. Which reminds me, this stuff is also hard to cut. A box knife cuts it okay, and so do sheers or really tight scissors, but it seems to dull them very fast and itll just bend around the scissors lol.

Pouring the epoxy was a first time project for me, and doing it ontop of carbon fiber was a long lesson learned lol. My local Lowes didn't have any quick setting epoxy which most people use to get a leveled out base layer to stick their material to a table or desk or whatever. I had to use a dialed back mix of regular epoxy and it took a little while for it to set up so I could pour my wet coat. Another issue I had come across was that the sides of my desk are square cut sheet plywood. The carbon fiber didn't fall over the sides like I thought it would giving that nice rounded edge look. I had to eventually just wait and cut the edges off clean because they kept peeling back off the plywood due to the sharp edge and the carbon fiber being stiff as it cures. But pouring the next 3 coats was easy peezy. Waiting the 12-24 hours between coats is what ate me up inside for wanting to get the project done over a 4 day weekend. NOPE. lol

4. For the top of the desk, I am just using a pre-cut piece of acrylic sheeting. My current piece is 1/4" thick, 24"x 48". As well as matching the dimensions of the desk, plus it made for easy fractions and math to divide and trim and cut boards to length etc. This 1/4" piece is fine, but where I have the 24"x 10" gap cut out in the front(where my legs go), it tends to bow a little in the center where I rest my hands/arms while typing on a keyboard. I am hoping that the 1/2" sheet I have coming will rid of that issue all together.

5. So for my setup, I decided I would try using both Rads as exhaust on opposite ends of the desk. The rear holes that I cut out on the back side where I have my HDMI and I/O cables going into the motherboard are filtered with simple A/C intake foam like you would see as the filter element for a window unit. It is a bit suffocating as far as filtration goes, but I have all 6 fans running at 1k rpm at the moment and it seems to allow just enough air into the desk to manage my temperatures just fine, I run around 50c on the CPU and like low 40's on the GPU playing the new Modern Warfare maxed out . My tower case only had the 1 Rad with the 3 fans exhausting air out the top of the case, then a couple 140mm intake fans to just flow through the case bottom up to help the air rise naturally. I figured since I was going to use 2 Rads horizontally, having one Rad intake while the other exhaust would just introduce hot air into the desk, thus making the other Rad even hotter, while also letting hair and dust etc enter the case unrestricted. I have ran the desk unfiltered to see the change in temps and its actually surprising to see such a change. I would be fine running it that way, if temps were an issue, but only time will tell. So far so good! And just for kicks, I ran my desk at full load and all 6 fans at 2300+ rpm, whatever max is for these Corsair ML fans, and itll suck your fingers into the back 2 holes intaking air. This desk will move some air if I need it to.

6. Almost forgot. For the outside Radiator grills, instead of spending hundreds of dollars for precut or prefab'd filter screen/fan shrouds, i went and looked around at the hardware store the same day I was getting the foam screen and smaller pieces for the desk, IE: M3 standoffs and M3 motherboard screws(have to match), I had run across some Gutter screen stuff. Picked it up, measured it in store on the end table and it happen to be long enough to cover my 360 rads. But it is a steel, black rubber coated Gutter screen piece. Comes in like 24 or 36" lengths, diamond hole pattern and was a perfect match for what I needed it to do. It was surprisingly really stiff for being so thin, which is good because I wont have to worry about ramming my fingers through the material and will have some piece of mind with radiator protection. All I had to do was lay one of my EK Rad's on the piece, trim around the outside, then line my screw holes up on the Radiator. The 8 screws in the center I had to cut away some of the diamond pattern material to allow the screws with washers to line up just right, because I do not like cross threading anything, ever lol. After trimming the holes, and sanding down any sharp edges and mess ups, I went out and hung the 2 pieces on a clothes hanger and spray painted them on both sides with some 2n1 Rust-Oleum Primer/Paint combo Flat Black. Perfect match. And to top it all off, the pieces of material were only like $5-6 a piece. So HUGE win in my book. Plus, it looks more uniform being a single piece and not 3 separate  pieces screwed on the outside.

If anyone else has any input or questions, comments, concerns etc, just comment and I'll get around to you eventually!

Enjoy
post edited by HayzBaby - 2020/02/14 11:07:22

Attached Image(s)

10 Replies Related Threads

CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14533
    • Ribbons : 222
    Re: My Mods Rig page and computer desk build is complete 2020/02/12 08:01:49 (permalink)
    Are we speaking about the 6700K build in your signature? If so, build looks pretty good. Maybe a little more cables management along this sides to tidy things up a bit, but overall a solid effort and looks nice. 

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
    Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
    ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
    64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
    MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
    HayzBaby
    iCX Member
    Re: My Mods Rig page and computer desk build is complete 2020/02/12 08:03:05 (permalink)
    That'd be the one. Couldn't get a URL link to the mods Rig page to work right yesterday, said forget it lol
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: My Mods Rig page and computer desk build is complete 2020/02/12 08:25:35 (permalink)
    Post some photos in this Thread - imgur or other host site is easiest way

Tell us about your build & any issues you had to get creative to solve

Using horizontal install of GPU block & flat reservoir in your loop - was it harder to get the air out ?  (how does one tip a Desk ?  besides carefully)

I'd be interested in hearing what "carbon fiber" material you used & any "tricks" you learned about installing it

What is the material for the top of desk  Glass or some sort of plastic ?

Where does the air enter the desk ?  How is it filtered ?

You just got your first +1

Side Note: 
    Maybe Edit your Title - it is a little misleading -  "New Mods Rig page is up and ready for approval!"

I thought the thread was about changes to "The Mods Rig Page" - in General ... you see EVGA is working on it .. so I've been told

Add something like [My] &" Remove [page]" to your title = My New Mods Rig is up !  / My new desk build ..... you get the idea

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

HayzBaby
    iCX Member
    Re: My Mods Rig page and computer desk build is complete 2020/02/12 09:14:24 (permalink)
    Very good questions. I can touch on some of those topics when I get back to my computer after work.
    nofearek9
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 436
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: My Mods Rig page and computer desk build is complete 2020/02/12 11:20:54 (permalink)
    +1,nice desk!

Asus Rampage IV Black Edition,Intel Xeon e5-1680v2@4,5Ghz(36x125),Corsair XMS3 64GB DDR3(8x8)(2000Mhz),Samsung 980 PRO 512GB,EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC GAMING 8GB,Lian Li PC-60FNWB ,Corsair HX1000 PSU,Noctua NH-D15 .
    Asus Rampage III Gene,Intel Xeon X5660@ 4,5ghz,Corsair XMS3 48GB DDR3(6x8),Samsung 950 PRO 256GB,EVGA 1060 3GB SSC.
    Register your evga products           Buy evga products with discount
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: My Mods Rig page and computer desk build is complete 2020/02/12 11:36:08 (permalink)
    edit - Updated Title in All posts - to match with OP changes

Thanks for the edit, HayzBaby - the new title tells everyone what your thread is about

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

a213m
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 877
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re: My Mods Rig page and computer desk build is complete 2020/02/12 14:42:58 (permalink)
    Did you place the bucket underneath the desk to catch leaks?  Linus wants his desk PC back.

Anyways, very effective use of angled fittings. Makes loops way neater. I hate when people say "blah, blah, blah, but angles cut flow rate in half", and run octopus of tubing with straight fittings only. Flow rate slows down in waterblocks, not in joints. EK did a test and had that myth busted: https://www.ekwb.com/blog/do-angled-adapter-fittings-really-reduce-flow/.

My free and open source SDR-DDR5 SPD reader/writer with write protection capabilities

New: 13900K, Z790 HERO, 2x32GB 6800C32, 4090, 2TB SN850, AX1600i
    Old: 10980XE, X299SE2, 8x8GB 4000C15, 4090, 2TB SN850, AX1600i
    HayzBaby
    iCX Member
    Re: My Mods Rig page and computer desk build is complete 2020/02/12 16:21:34 (permalink)
    I did have a small bucket actually lol. Legs are coming in this weekend. Had them made from aluminum and will be attaching them to a mirror copy piece of plywood underneath, that way itll be modular if I have to take it down, or move it around etc.

And yes, 90's saved me on this build. The hardest part was getting the double stack motherboard risers and the CPU block extensions at the right height to match the GPU fittings. I have them within like 1/16th or an 1/8th off in height, that way it looks as straight as possible. 
    velodaddyjp
    • Total Posts : 26
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: My Mods Rig page and computer desk build is complete 2020/02/14 10:16:07 (permalink)
    amazing. Would love to take mine next level

Fractal Define Mini C | Ryzen 5 3600 | AsRock B450M-Pro| 32gb Gskill Sniper-X | EVGA CLC 240
    BEQUIET 120mm Fans
    HayzBaby
    iCX Member
    Re: My Mods Rig page and computer desk build is complete 2020/02/16 14:28:08 (permalink)
    Finished the build just a little while ago. New piece of 1/2" acrylic come in yesterday.
    Painted the sub-base board underneath the desk that I mounted the legs to.
    Drilled out the mirror side hole for the drain port to the other desk.
    Mounted everything together, peeled the covers off the acrylic   and put everything else together!

Enjoy!
    post edited by HayzBaby - 2020/02/16 16:30:32

Attached Image(s)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile