EVGA

Updated bios, lost acces to M2 nvme (unable to post in motherboard category

Author
Grampy
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/01/29 16:50:43 (permalink)
Hello, my appologies for posting here, but I am unable to make a new thread in the Motherboard section.

I recently updated my BIOS from 2.01 to 2.05, This caused the bios to no longer recognize my NVME m2 drive, which has my os install.  This was working fine before.  I unplugged all other drives, reset to optimized defaults, cleared my CMOS, enable the M.2 socket3 under onboard device configuration, set boot mode to UEFI, but the m2 is still not detected anymore.

If anyone has any advice It would be much appreciated, I can usually fumble my way through these things, but I am a bit stumped, especially since all was well before hand.

10 Replies Related Threads

jfw06013
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 586
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Updated bios, lost acces to M2 nvme (unable to post in motherboard category 2020/01/29 16:53:05 (permalink)
    Need more info, like what motherboard are you using ect.

Grampy
    Re: Updated bios, lost acces to M2 nvme (unable to post in motherboard category 2020/01/29 16:57:16 (permalink)
    Sorry, I am using the X99 FTWK, Windows 10 64bit, I am unsure of the NVME specs.

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Updated bios, lost acces to M2 nvme (unable to post in motherboard category 2020/01/29 16:59:48 (permalink)
    Flash the old bios back.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Updated bios, lost acces to M2 nvme (unable to post in motherboard category 2020/01/29 17:00:44 (permalink)
    Moving to EVGA Intel 270/170/9/8/Legacy Series

Home » All Forums » [EVGA Motherboards] » EVGA Intel 270/170/9/8/Legacy Series

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Updated bios, lost acces to M2 nvme (unable to post in motherboard category 2020/01/29 17:03:11 (permalink)
    Your MB has more than 1 BIOS ... move the switch

Did you copy of take photos (cell phone works well for this) of your BIOS before you flashed the BIOS ?

Once in BIOS/UEFI, navigate to the “BOOT” section. Then go down to the “CSM Configuration” heading and press enter, or click on it with your mouse. a.For Windows 10 / 8.1: Set “Launch Storage OpROM Policy” to “UEFI”. Then set “Launch CSM” to “Disable”.

PDF - Manual X99 FTW-K

page 19   BIOS Setup and Windows Installation for M.2 and PCI-E NVMe SSD’s

You did all those steps ? (excerpts below)

Once in BIOS/UEFI, navigate to the “BOOT” section. Then go down to the “CSM Configuration” heading and press enter, or click on it with your mouse. a.For Windows 10 / 8.1: Set “Launch Storage OpROM Policy” to “UEFI”. Then set “Launch CSM” to “Disable”.

If you are using a SSD connected to the motherboard’s M.2 slot, re-enter the BIOS/UEFI and go to “Advanced – Onboard Device Configuration”, and set “M.2 Socket3” to “Enable”.

Go to the “Boot” Section, set “Boot Mode Select” to UEFI, and set first boot device to “Hard Disk:Windows Boot Manager”.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Grampy
    Re: Updated bios, lost acces to M2 nvme (unable to post in motherboard category 2020/01/29 17:13:00 (permalink)
    Well, I did not take a photo. Didn't really expect trouble.  Well, the board has a BIOS switch, I did not know that.  Do now.  ok, guess its too late for that.  Or maybe not, If I move the switch It should go back to default BIOS I would imagine.
    Grampy
    Re: Updated bios, lost acces to M2 nvme (unable to post in motherboard category 2020/01/29 17:21:36 (permalink)

You did all those steps ? (excerpts below)

I went through this, WLaunch storage OpRom policyt to UEFI is not shown by default, I have to first click Launch CSM to enable, then I have the option for OpRom Policy. If I then set Launch CSM to disable the OpRom option dissapears since it seems to be only available with Launch CSM enabled.

If you are using a SSD connected to the motherboard’s M.2 slot, re-enter the BIOS/UEFI and go to “Advanced – Onboard Device Configuration”, and set “M.2 Socket3” to “Enable”.

yep, enabled.

Go to the “Boot” Section, set “Boot Mode Select” to UEFI, and set first boot device to “Hard Disk:Windows Boot Manager”.

Sadly, the Hard Disk:Windows Boot Manager is not an option, very perplexing.

by the way, thanks for taking time to look at my issue.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Updated bios, lost acces to M2 nvme (unable to post in motherboard category 2020/01/29 17:54:16 (permalink)
    Your custom BIOS settings are "lost" when you flash the BIOS

If the second position / BIOS is the same older version you were using before the Flash ... then you could change the settings as needed and BOOT ... if the new version of BIOS was the issue .. did not flash correctly or was not compatible

Those MB could copy the BIOS settings to USB  - I like to take photos on my phone

If my FTW-K was using M.2 --> I'd have a way to share my settings ... I'm just using the SATA drive on mine

Note different EVGA X99 MB --> But might have some information that could be helpful:  X99 M.2 Getting it to work **STEP BY STEP** - EVGA Forums

Grampy
    Re: Updated bios, lost acces to M2 nvme (unable to post in motherboard category 2020/01/29 18:06:58 (permalink)
    Thanks again Cool GTX, going to work through it, wish me luck

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Updated bios, lost acces to M2 nvme (unable to post in motherboard category 2020/01/29 18:12:03 (permalink)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile