Should I RMA?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5004
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Should I RMA? 2020/01/31 09:38:40 (permalink)
RaevThaonai
Well, I booted and it immediately started doing it. Hard to describe, I know it sounds funny but literally mouse? It's not very loud but definitely audible even with the case closed. Got into BIOS and inspected fans all by one and it kept making it.

Wait, I can't even link a youtube video? WTH?

This is obviously not my system but this sound very similar. I could try and record but I cannot upload here dor some reason also I don't want to damage it.
I used a soft padded mat when I opened the card (kinda like a work mat but as big) and I wore an anti static band so I doubt it's electrical damage.

It's the gpu fan hitting something.  Inspect carefully.
RaevThaonai
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Should I RMA? 2020/01/31 10:25:24 (permalink)
Not that I can see anything. One of the fans was spinning rather slowly while the other waan't spinning at all. I know my GPU supports zero rpm mode so maybe that's why? Idk
redarman
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 230
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Should I RMA? 2020/01/31 10:37:41 (permalink)
There's a noise from my new kingpin, check my thread and let me know if it sounds similar; like a mini-fridge noise. Anyway I also had a hard time posting a link but I found a way.

RaevThaonai
Well, I booted and it immediately started doing it. Hard to describe, I know it sounds funny but literally mouse? It's not very loud but definitely audible even with the case closed. Got into BIOS and inspected fans all by one and it kept making it.

Wait, I can't even link a youtube video? WTH?

This is obviously not my system but this sound very similar. I could try and record but I cannot upload here dor some reason also I don't want to damage it.
I used a soft padded mat when I opened the card (kinda like a work mat but as big) and I wore an anti static band so I doubt it's electrical damage.

kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Should I RMA? 2020/01/31 10:51:50 (permalink)
RaevThaonai
Not that I can see anything. One of the fans was spinning rather slowly while the other waan't spinning at all. I know my GPU supports zero rpm mode so maybe that's why? Idk

Yeah that sounds odd.  Use the software to get the idle fan speed up.

It's either the fans, fan related, or coil whine.  There's nothing else that can make noise on a normal GPU.
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Should I RMA? 2020/01/31 10:54:19 (permalink)
redarman
There's a noise from my new kingpin, check my thread and let me know if it sounds similar; like a mini-fridge noise. Anyway I also had a hard time posting a link but I found a way.

You have a noisy pump which is a widely known issue and totally unrelated to this thread.
RaevThaonai
Re: Should I RMA? 2020/01/31 11:08:08 (permalink)
kevinc313
RaevThaonai

Yeah that sounds odd.  Use the software to get the idle fan speed up.

It's either the fans, fan related, or coil whine.  There's nothing else that can make noise on a normal GPU.

Isn't coil whine a constant sound? Mine sounds almost as if it's trying to communicate in morse code. Also, I haven't had any sound coming out of it until I took it apart today in order to change the TIM. So I doubt it's coil whine...
Can an improper connection of the fan controller be the cause? I am concerned I haven't done it right
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Should I RMA? 2020/01/31 11:16:44 (permalink)
RaevThaonai
Can an improper connection of the fan controller be the cause? I am concerned I haven't done it right

..............No?

Are you talking about the GPU board fan connector on the end?  That should be connected and fully seated, I'm pretty sure it's keyed and can't be reversed.  It controls the fans and the lights on the top.  The fans should spin freely when moved by hand and they should report the about the same speed in your monitoring software of choice, assuming you are controlling them the same. 

PWM fans can make a ticking sound if you start and stop them or run them at too low of speed.  Maybe your card is now running too cool.

Coil whine can sound maybe like morse code, but it is highly dependent on GPU load.  You're not going to get whine at idle.

I would recommend a custom fan curve with it flat at 40% fans at below 45C, then 80% or 90% above 45C.  Tune to your preferences but so it stays at low speeds in normal use but then stays at the higher speed during gaming.  DO NOT USE THE BIOS FAN CURVE UNLESS YOU WANT 80C.
post edited by kevinc313 - 2020/01/31 11:21:29
RaevThaonai
Re: Should I RMA? 2020/01/31 12:09:13 (permalink)
kevinc313
RaevThaonai

..............No?

Are you talking about the GPU board fan connector on the end?  That should be connected and fully seated, I'm pretty sure it's keyed and can't be reversed.  It controls the fans and the lights on the top.  The fans should spin freely when moved by hand and they should report the about the same speed in your monitoring software of choice, assuming you are controlling them the same. 

PWM fans can make a ticking sound if you start and stop them or run them at too low of speed.  Maybe your card is now running too cool.

Coil whine can sound maybe like morse code, but it is highly dependent on GPU load.  You're not going to get whine at idle.

I would recommend a custom fan curve with it flat at 40% fans at below 45C, then 80% or 90% above 45C.  Tune to your preferences but so it stays at low speeds in normal use but then stays at the higher speed during gaming.  DO NOT USE THE BIOS FAN CURVE UNLESS YOU WANT 80C.

Well, the fans spin freely if pushed by hand. However, one of the fans doesn't spin AT ALL even when benchmarking FurMark and Time Spy and while the clicking/chirping/squeaking noise seems to stop while running benchmarks, it comes back if I restart my PC. HWMonitor reports Fan#1 as 0 RPM.
Well, if nothing else this whole scenario ensured I will HAVE to RMA... 
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49167
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Should I RMA? 2020/01/31 12:33:33 (permalink)
Rma time.
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Should I RMA? 2020/01/31 12:59:56 (permalink)
RaevThaonai
kevinc313
RaevThaonai

..............No?

Well, the fans spin freely if pushed by hand. However, one of the fans doesn't spin AT ALL even when benchmarking FurMark and Time Spy and while the clicking/chirping/squeaking noise seems to stop while running benchmarks, it comes back if I restart my PC. HWMonitor reports Fan#1 as 0 RPM.

Are you running a new version of Precision X1 and do you have the fans set and applied properly? 

Can you inspect the fan wires and board connector?

RaevThaonai
Re: Should I RMA? 2020/01/31 13:24:49 (permalink)
kevinc313
RaevThaonai
kevinc313
RaevThaonai

..............No?

Are you running a new version of Precision X1 and do you have the fans set and applied properly? 

Can you inspect the fan wires and board connector?

I've tried it all, mate. No dice.
I've requested a full refund from Amazon. I'm sending it off tomorrow.
RaevThaonai
Re: Should I RMA? 2020/01/31 13:43:36 (permalink)
I just wanted to thank all of the community here for the help and patience they exercised with me. No other forum has been this kind or this helpful. I am sad to say I will not ever buy another EVGA product again after this, the PSU that took with it half of my PC and its replacement that died within weeks.
To all of you though, and especially kevinc313, hats off gents! Once again, thank you for everything!
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Should I RMA? 2020/01/31 21:41:58 (permalink)
Happy to help out and sorry it didn't work out.  Bad fans and dodgy TIM are two fairly common issues.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile