Post radiator leak repair update!

Author
drougnor
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2715
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 18
2020/01/21 02:41:44 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one pmd me from where they're currently located asking for pictures of the current setup, so here it is in it's currently jank glory!

First is how I had to 'fit' the big radiator in my current setup! This is NOT a small case, but because I use a lot of real estate with storage drives, I am VERY limited on radiator locations. The shroud is to keep the miracle fans properly housed.

Here, you can see my pump/res combo feeding into the radiator, from the rad down into the cpu, and the CPU out to . . .

The GPU stack - On top is my 2070, that feeds down into the 1080ti which feeds down into my 1070 FTW. Yes, I know I'm mixing different card types in a water cooling loop. Yes, I KNOW I shouldn't do that because it means nothing lines up for clean tubing. I'm also not much for caring because it WORKS, and I get to prove that I can solve fun puzzles!

And a closeup of the 1080ti that's on loan - the_Scarlet_one, I removed the angular cover around the port housing to save a little bit of room  for my fitting magic, but that backplate giving me some Tron-like reflections! (I have a backplate for the FTW on the way as it looked naked compared to the other two cards.)

That last pipe goes back up to the side of the pump as a return, and you can see the quick release that I use as my drain at the bottom most part of the loop.

This is it, my primary folding setup as enhanced by our good friend and folding Family member the_scarlet_one!

Thank you again for the Radiator and the loan of GPU! I'll keep it safe and warm for you (Just not as warm as the old loop USED to run with that old radiator!)

d

3 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31004
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Post radiator leak repair update! 2020/01/21 15:50:32 (permalink)
    impressive plumbing ... how long did it take to figure out that combination of fittings

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Post radiator leak repair update! 2020/01/21 18:28:11 (permalink)
    How do you like that PSU? I have one that I haven't installed, read a few noise complaints. 

I like/love thick rads!! They do pose install issues sometimes. 
    drougnor
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2715
    • Ribbons : 18
    Re: Post radiator leak repair update! 2020/01/21 19:10:50 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    impressive plumbing ... how long did it take to figure out that combination of fittings

This time around, maybe 20 minutes. The first time I did an 'all fitting' setup it was closer to an hour of fiddling and scratching and testing and fiddling some more. The worst part is making sure you have the right coupling fittings and rotating fittings for each run so you are able to put the male threads on either end and have them rotate freely so you can properly tighten everything down . . . And then making sure you don't loosen a middle connection while tightening an end connection accidentally.

What's annoying me is I could have replicated the taller run on the bottom, but didn't realize it until I'd filled the loop with water.  But, when I get my replacement card and waterblock, that's another chance to drain and play.

notfordman
    How do you like that PSU? I have one that I haven't installed, read a few noise complaints. 

I like/love thick rads!! They do pose install issues sometimes.

The PSU is great for me so far, as long as I manage to keep my wattage within reason.  I haven't had any issues with it noise wise, and the ONLY problem I've had was I lost some cables in the move, but I was able to buy replacements online fairly easily.

And yeah, I was honestly shocked with how much more room was used up, but I'm not giving up the extra cooling overhead now that I've experienced it!  As soon as I can get the Phantex 719, that sucker has PLENTY of room all over the place to hide fat radiators like this, As well as TONS of room to store HDDs, so I'm looking quite forward to upgrading in the future.

d

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile