EVGA

storport.sys latency issue causing computer stutter

Author
swiftd03@yahoo.com
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/01/18 14:28:56 (permalink)
Ok so here is my situation and I am kind of at the end of my rope on this one. About a week ago I started noticing a lag or more like a stutter in mouse movement and audio playing through the system from any source to any output. Happens even on the windows start up screen but doesn't happen when in safe mode. Downloaded latency monitor and get huge latency spikes from a Microsoft driver called storport.sys said "oh great, a driver issue" and set about updating every single driver known to (at least this) man assuming that that would fix it. No luck. Reverted overclock back to stock timing on everything. Switched memory sticks (location and the actual sticks themselves), ran chkdsk, disk cleanup, changed paging file size and type on every drive, removed all drives but the boot disk (SSD), even did the in place Windows recovery and have not gotten it to go away. Ran SMART on all drives and had no issues found. Here is the system specs to start:

Windows 10 1903 originally, then updated it again to multiple different versions, currently on insider build. 
EVGA Z370 FTW motherboard
Intel I5-8600k
EVGA 1080 nvidia card (updated drivers, tried both gaming and studio drivers with no effect)
Crucial FCC512M550SSD1 boot drive

The only issue that I have had in this process is when I update the storage controller to the EVGA recommended one on the website (Intel RST) I lose the ability to boot except for in safe mode, I am AHCI enabled in BIOS, no raid anywhere on the system. Tried using the drivers directly off of Intel and have the same issue, right now for drivers there I have the "Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller" this is from 2005 but no updates are available for it. Under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers I have Intel 300 series chipset family SATA AHCI Controller listed. Have also updated this several times with no resolution. Not sure where to go next.

Here is the report from latency monitor:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:14:56 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name: SWIFT-LIVING-PC
OS version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 19041 (x64)
Hardware: 134-KS-E377, EVGA INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8600K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Logical processors: 6
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 16297 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed: 360 MHz
Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.
WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.
Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 100826.40
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 306.106847
Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 100824.40
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 304.411631

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.
Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 149.316667
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation
Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.044371
Driver with highest ISR total time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation
Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.050350
ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 331344
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.
Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 100827.072778
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: storport.sys - Microsoft Storage Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation
Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 1.338489
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: storport.sys - Microsoft Storage Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation
Total time spent in DPCs (%) 1.385660
DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 585714
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 13
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.
NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.
Process with highest pagefault count: msmpeng.exe
Total number of hard pagefaults 1265
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 360
Number of processes hit: 34

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 104.085210
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 149.316667
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 2.709041
CPU 0 ISR count: 331344
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 100827.072778
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 74.510997
CPU 0 DPC count: 571744
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.898689
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 1 ISR count: 0
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 35.532222
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0.020577
CPU 1 DPC count: 7483
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.815333
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 2 ISR count: 0
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 25.964444
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0.008275
CPU 2 DPC count: 2984
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.767658
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR count: 0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 30.383889
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0.00410
CPU 3 DPC count: 1480
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.826248
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 4 ISR count: 0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs): 33.593333
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 0.004349
CPU 4 DPC count: 1334
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.792891
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 5 ISR count: 0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs): 24.1350
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 0.005826
CPU 5 DPC count: 1777

Swiftd03 

8 Replies Related Threads

swiftd03@yahoo.com
    Re: storport.sys latency issue causing computer stutter 2020/01/18 19:29:35 (permalink)
    OK, so here is an update. I left my 2 storage drives disconnected and did a full clean install of Windows 10 on the boot drive (SSD), with nothing else installed on the drive and the issue is still going. Don't even know what to think about that now. My only thought is RAM issue or a faulty SATA controller or port but SMART and memtest both checked out prior to the clean install. Ruling those out means it has to be a Windows issue but if that is the case why am I one of the few that seem to be experiencing this? 

Going to uninstall everything from the computer now and reinstall just the basics and see if that makes a difference. If anyone has any ideas or has seen this before I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks again,

Swiftd03 

chinobino.
    • Total Posts : 42
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: storport.sys latency issue causing computer stutter 2020/01/19 03:48:09 (permalink)
    Is your system overclocked? If so load 'Optimized defaults' in BIOS with F5 then save and exit and test it on stock settings.

What BIOS are you currently running?

Another thing you can try is increasing PCH voltage by manually setting it to 1.060 V, this will effect all I/O (input/output) that passes through the PCH chip, such as the Intel SATA & USB controllers, as well as the chipset PCI-e ports.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: storport.sys latency issue causing computer stutter 2020/01/19 10:18:10 (permalink)
    BIOS up to date ?

Test your RAM

SSD .. got a spare one to test with .. you never mentioned M.2 - So, replace the SATA cable
     - besides Crucial FCC512M550SSD1 is Known for Slow write speeds

Do a deep scan for malware ... rootkits

What are you seeing in CPU-Z & GPU-Z ?  Is the hardware throttling ? Temps under control ?

Any driver issues showing in Device Manager ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

swiftd03@yahoo.com
    Re: storport.sys latency issue causing computer stutter 2020/01/19 11:29:40 (permalink)
    Running the current BIOS, before and after this issue. Tried to bump the PCH voltage and had no effect.

Swiftd03 

swiftd03@yahoo.com
    Re: storport.sys latency issue causing computer stutter 2020/01/19 11:43:29 (permalink)
    Ran memtestx86 multiple times, not a single error before or after removing the overclock. Don’t have a spare SSD. I’m swapping to a different SATA cable right now and I’ll update. Resource monitor is showing little to no activity on any drive and the issue is happening with nothing running (literally the only thing installed on the computer is Windows and the programs we’ve talked about here). Temps are all low (CPU is on a closed loop cooler CPU temps are in the 20’s and 30’s). No drivers issues in device manager, everything there has been updated to the most current either through downloads from EVGA of Windows update. SMART test and Crucial storage executive has tested all drives with no issues found and speeds are all fine there. As far as virus issues I’ve wiped and formatted the only drive installed in the system and clean installed Windows direct from Microsoft’s website.

Swiftd03 

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: storport.sys latency issue causing computer stutter 2020/01/20 22:51:17 (permalink)
    Sounds like windows update,telemetryand maybe hibernation/backup working in the background. Unplug your internet from your tower and see if it eases up at the very least.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: storport.sys latency issue causing computer stutter 2020/01/21 15:27:04 (permalink)
    Maybe your ssd has a problem with it. Things to try...

#1 A new drive.
    #2 New sata cable.
    #3 Different sata port.
    #4 Test drive in another pc.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: storport.sys latency issue causing computer stutter 2020/01/21 15:32:51 (permalink)
    latest Windows update could have update PCH driver ... could be the root cause of your issues

this is an Older thread but might be helpful:  PSA: If you experience constant stuttering with the latest nvidia driver 388.13 read this!

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile