Feds Seize WeLeakInfo.com for Selling Access to Stolen Data

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2020/01/19 04:43:19 (permalink)
https://www.pcmag.com/news/feds-seize-weleakinfocom-for-selling-access-to-stolen-data

The FBI has shut down a website that offered hackers easy access to 12 billion records stolen in thousands of data breaches. On Thursday, the Justice Department announced it had seized the internet domain to WeLeakInfo.com, a site that was cataloging data taken from more than 10,300 data breaches at various companies and websites over the years.
Customers could pay as little as $2 to gain access to the massive trove of data, which was carefully indexed and searchable. In return, subscribers could look up a person's email address to find out what previously leaked passwords, names, phone numbers, and IP addresses had been associated with it.

Because people often re-use the same passwords across various internet accounts, the WeLeakInfo.com site was a handy tool for hackers, who could use the same data to target a victim's email addresses. According to the UK's National Crime Agency, the searchable records paved the way for cyber attacks in the UK, Germany, and the US. Investigators also noticed links with hackers accessing WeLeakInfo.com and buying other hacking tools, including malware. However, on Wednesday, police in Europe arrested two, 22-year-old suspects in Northern Ireland and the Netherlands, who made over £200,000 ($260,465) from the site.

In my opinion having such an open website invited authorities to seize it. I guess stupidity continues to grow on these types of sites. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

7 Replies Related Threads

Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2232
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Feds Seize WeLeakInfo.com for Selling Access to Stolen Data 2020/01/19 07:41:49 (permalink)
    Seems the stupidity of the average user was only matched by the stupidity of the folks running this website.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30982
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Feds Seize WeLeakInfo.com for Selling Access to Stolen Data 2020/01/19 09:11:11 (permalink)
    I wonder if the data was destroyed & servers confiscated ?

Seizing the domain & arresting two people ... seems like a drop of water in the ocean

So they do not know who owns this ...

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2232
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Feds Seize WeLeakInfo.com for Selling Access to Stolen Data 2020/01/19 11:36:18 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    I wonder if the data was destroyed & servers confiscated ?

Not sure I would destroy everything. Using it as a honeypot would be an option.

Cool GTX
    So they do not know who owns this ...

Would have thought the two running it, but it does not matter now, the FBI seized the domain.

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Feds Seize WeLeakInfo.com for Selling Access to Stolen Data 2020/01/19 16:10:33 (permalink)
    This is one of the many out there🙄. Keep that in mind

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Feds Seize WeLeakInfo.com for Selling Access to Stolen Data 2020/01/19 17:29:58 (permalink)
    They made the mistake of selling the information. They didn't steal the information, it's already information that is out there and public.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Feds Seize WeLeakInfo.com for Selling Access to Stolen Data 2020/01/19 18:39:55 (permalink)
    They made the "mistake" of taking the information which already exists on the dark web, and bringing it over to the internet in order to make more profit.  It paid off for a little while.  Whether it was worth it will depend on the outcome of the trial and total fees paid.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Feds Seize WeLeakInfo.com for Selling Access to Stolen Data 2020/01/19 21:17:43 (permalink)
    So, how about job-boards they sell you data to spammers?  I hadnt had any small phones call, spam text or spam voicemail till i used Indeed "Can I be like up urs and sue!"....
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile