Google's working to bring Steam support to Chromebooks

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102300
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2020/01/19 04:21:17 (permalink)
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/software/google_s_working_to_bring_steam_support_to_chromebooks/1

According to Android Police, Google's working on bringing Steam to Chrome OS, bringing PC gaming into the company's PC platform. This work is likely being done with the co-operation of Valve, who have championed non-Windows PC platforms for quite some time. Chrome OS' version of Steam is likely to run using Linux on Chrome OS, allowing Valve to bring PC games to another PC platform before its competitors. Valve would also bring Windows games t Chrome OS using its Steam Proton emulation software. 

Valve's motive here is clear. They want to bring Steam to more operating systems, widening their userbase while generating goodwill amongst the PC gaming community. With Valve facing increased competition on Windows, the company is keen to cement its position on new OS' before any of its rivals can. Should Linux and CHrome OS become stronger competitors against Microsoft's Windows 10, Valve would have a lot to gain. Adding AAA gaming titles to Chrome OS would also greatly benefit Google's PC platform.

No timeline has been announced for Steam's arrival on Chrome OS. That said, Valve is sure to become the first major PC gaming platform to arrive on Chrome OS, with Epic Games, GOG, Battle.net Origin and other Steam competitors having no known plans to bring their platforms to Linux, Chrome OS and other PC OS'. On Chrome OS, some of the Google Store's most popular downloads have been free to play games, revealing a market for games on the OS. Only time will tell if Valve's move to Chrome OS will be a successful one.

Personally I think this is a risky business situation, but Google apparently believes it is a risk worth taking.  

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

3 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Google's working to bring Steam support to Chromebooks 2020/01/19 08:47:31 (permalink)
    I think it is a good thing, but it kind of goes directly against the marketing for Chrome OS. Chrome OS was marketed as a lightweight OS where everything is in the cloud, it's very secure against viruses, and there is no data on the laptop to lose. This would be a huge step in the other direction. I don't know if most Chromebooks even have enough storage space to download games. Google's Stadia makes way more sense on Chrome OS because it has similar goals and philosophies.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Google's working to bring Steam support to Chromebooks 2020/01/19 09:26:35 (permalink)
    I find it interesting because most Chromebooks are under powered CPU, GPU, RAM ....

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Google's working to bring Steam support to Chromebooks 2020/01/19 17:38:13 (permalink)
    It'll just be a streaming app for Steamlink.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile