Computer BSOD, severe artifacting, GPU crashing/ not recognized

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Wooohah
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 509
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Computer BSOD, severe artifacting, GPU crashing/ not recognized 2020/01/14 06:40:04 (permalink)
Because it sounds like what most people are saying (I've asked a bit elsewhere as well) is theres some kind of electrical problem that's causing components to fail.

I honestly dont know enough about hardware to really properly diagnose this issue. It sounds like it could be a fault PSU that short circuited some things/ damaged the motherboard and or GPU.
It could be a damaged motherboard regulating voltage incorrectly (idk)

CPU: i7 6700k 
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW 
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-Pro
Ram: (2x8GB) 16GB Gskill TridentZ @3200mhz
PSU: EVGA 750W G2
Storage: 250GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Seagate HDD 240GB Mushkin SSD
Cooling: 4x 120mm Noctua NF-S12A, 1x 140mm Corsair, Corsair H55 water cooler w/ 2x Corsair 120mm fans.
Case: Corsair 400C (Clear/ White)
Display: ASUS PG279Q (1440P 165hz IPS Gsync)

Sound: Sennheiser HD558 w/ Behringer HA400 Amp.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30996
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Computer BSOD, severe artifacting, GPU crashing/ not recognized 2020/01/14 06:41:21 (permalink)
As long as you unplug All devices connected to the PC & discharge the capacitors in your PSU ... before installing or removing the GPU ... PCIe always has power even when PC is "off" -- your unlikely to damage the GPU .... outside of static discharge .... Never touch the contacts & always ground yourself before touching

the Next likely issue is the GPU getting power when Not fully installed in the PCIe slot .... those tiny little contacts are very close to each other ... but it would usually leave an arch mark if that happened

MB ...... maybe ... not as likely in my experience - but Not impossible ...  Is the MB under warranty ?

Ripple from the PSU - as mentioned above ... Can be very hard on your electronics

I run the P2 & T2 high quality PSUs .... but Any PSU can have a failure

I doubt it is your UPS ..... and it looks like you have the UPS for All the Right Reasons

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Wooohah
SSC Member
Re: Computer BSOD, severe artifacting, GPU crashing/ not recognized 2020/01/14 07:28:41 (permalink)
Yeah when I install my GPU I always shut off the computer, turn off the power supply (sometimes unplug it) and press the power button to release any left over energy.

I inspected the motherboard for bulged capacitors, scorch Mark's, etc. As well as the GPU and found none... I'll probably have to bring it into a shop to get it inspected thoroughly since I dont have the tools (or know how even) to remove the PSU and check it.

The motherboard... might still be under warranty, I'm not sure. If the motherboard is faulty, I actually do have an extra motherboard.
The PSU has a 10 year warranty so that can be replaced if need be.

If It does end up being the power supply that's broken, which caused damage to other parts of the PC... do you think EVGA will replace it? Or at least the graphics card again if it is damaged from the PSU.

I think I've taken the correct precautions to ensure it isnt my houses wiring being the fault

Cooling: 4x 120mm Noctua NF-S12A, 1x 140mm Corsair, Corsair H55 water cooler w/ 2x Corsair 120mm fans.

atfrico
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 12753
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: Computer BSOD, severe artifacting, GPU crashing/ not recognized 2020/01/14 07:58:34 (permalink)
Wooohah
Yeah when I install my GPU I always shut off the computer, turn off the power supply (sometimes unplug it) and press the power button to release any left over energy.

I inspected the motherboard for bulged capacitors, scorch Mark's, etc. As well as the GPU and found none... I'll probably have to bring it into a shop to get it inspected thoroughly since I dont have the tools (or know how even) to remove the PSU and check it.

The motherboard... might still be under warranty, I'm not sure. If the motherboard is faulty, I actually do have an extra motherboard.
The PSU has a 10 year warranty so that can be replaced if need be.

If It does end up being the power supply that's broken, which caused damage to other parts of the PC... do you think EVGA will replace it? Or at least the graphics card again if it is damaged from the PSU.

I think I've taken the correct precautions to ensure it isnt my houses wiring being the fault

EVGA should take care of you since it is a EVGA PSU. Switch PSUs to see if the artifacts go away but i doubt it since the gpu is bad. Do you have an iGPU in your mobo.?

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
Wooohah
SSC Member
Re: Computer BSOD, severe artifacting, GPU crashing/ not recognized 2020/01/14 08:10:22 (permalink)
Unfortunately my motherboard does not have an igpu

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30996
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Computer BSOD, severe artifacting, GPU crashing/ not recognized 2020/01/14 09:20:30 (permalink)
Ask your friends & family or hit the local used market ... by an Older cheap card --> is one option for testing your PC

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile