EVGA

advice or suggestions for cooler temps using 2, 2070 supers

Author
bpoifvet
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/01/11 20:45:56 (permalink)
So I'm new to running two 2070 Supers on my rig.  What are some custom fan curves for optimal temps for staying cool?  Right now I just use the "aggressive" setting on both cards.  Suggestions and advice is more than welcome!!!

4 Replies Related Threads

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: advice or suggestions for cooler temps using 2, 2070 supers 2020/01/12 10:27:46 (permalink)
    bpoifvet
    So I'm new to running two 2070 Supers on my rig.  What are some custom fan curves for optimal temps for staying cool?  Right now I just use the "aggressive" setting on both cards.  Suggestions and advice is more than welcome!!!

Looking to tweak fan speeds?  Try setting up a manual fan curve. 

Looking for better cooling?  Make sure you have good cable management and if you want to go to the next level, go with a Hybrid Kit. 

If the EVGA hyrbid kit isn't in stock, look at the NZXT G12 with the option of a compatible 3rd party AIO.  Preferably 240mm AIOs.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5004
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: advice or suggestions for cooler temps using 2, 2070 supers 2020/01/12 12:16:54 (permalink)
    bpoifvet

"Optimal" temps are usually 100% fans on the cards and case fan speed balance that provides good air flow around the cards.  You can test with smoke or fake smoke and a clear side panel (if temporary - thin plastic sheet) if you really want to get into it.

Personally I prefer a flat curve above a certain threshold, say 80% above 40C, thus it will lock in at constant noise level under gaming load and the temp will float with load/power.  Then like 40% or 50% for idle / browser use, pick a temp where the fan speed doesn't jump around.

The main problem people seem to be having is not enough air flow getting to the cards, such as too much negative pressure by more top and rear exhaust than front intake, creating an air flow dead spot around the card where it sucks in it's own heated exhaust air.  Having a front mount AIO cpu cooler radiator blocking all the front case fans can be really bad for these GPU's, not for air temp but lack of air flow.

Having 2-3 really strong front fans blowing unobstructed at the GPU end, sealed case top and lots (LOTS) of rear vents seems to work well for a simple setup.  Neatly dressed or cables out of the way of air flow helps.  Also don't want any drive bays or PSU shrouds blocking any lower front fans feeding the GPU's.

If you see surprisingly high temps you may have a mis-mounted cooler or poor paste coverage, it seems to be happening.

No mention of your SLI slot spacing, I assume it's 3 slots.
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2020/01/12 12:57:30
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: advice or suggestions for cooler temps using 2, 2070 supers 2020/01/13 03:11:15 (permalink)
    Also know that EVGA allows you to disassemble their cards and replace the TIM..Warranty will not be voided as long as you don't damage the card in any way in the process.

I've heard tell that EVGA might use Shin-Etsu stuff for their TIM which can have up to 6.0 W/mk of Thermal Conductivity which is middle-of-the-road stuff..There's better, like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut with 12.5 W/mk, and MX-4 with 8.5 W/mk, but NOT better than liquid metal as they say on their product page (I've used both).

The ultimate TIM (except for sub-zero cooling) WOULD be a liquid metal TIM such as Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut with a WHOPPING 73 W/mk Thermal Conductivity!..One must be very careful when using it because it is electrically conductive being, well, liquid metal..After seeing my results, I was left in a state of shock and awe.

See: How Liquid Metal Affects Copper, Nickel, and Aluminum (Corrosion Test)

Also be aware that a GPU die usually has internal components that extend all the way out to the perimeter of it as opposed to a CPU die where the die is just in the center of the Integrated Heat Spreader, making it critical that the TIM extends all the way to the edges of the GPU die or hotspots might occur and cause problems.

Just more food for thought here.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: advice or suggestions for cooler temps using 2, 2070 supers 2020/01/13 08:41:32 (permalink)
    Got to get the heat out of the case

Max case fan rpm
    More or better case fans
    bigger Case with better airflow

GPU Temp in C = 30 = Fan % curve ---> GPU 50 C = Fan 80% ....

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile