EVGA SC15 - Please help a noob here!

Author
AleCisla
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/01/09 23:45:17 (permalink)
Hi guys,

I need someone that could possibly help me with a few things. I'll try to go straight to the point and be as specific as I can:

1- I have to use Precision X Mobile, as I tried that X1 and others, but it's too complicated for me. I'd like to know what is the "best" fan curve for my laptop SC-15? I know this is a general question, but I'd like to know, what is the maximum temperature I can let my CPU and GPU reach? I have one Custom Setting, which I call the "Low" setting, for when the laptop is idle doing nothing, and I have a second setup which I call the "High" setting, that I use when playing games. On my "HIGH" profile, I have setup both CPU and GPU to this values: starting with 50-50, so 50 degrees uses 50% of the fan. Then I incremented in orders of 5%, so 55 degrees - 60%.... 60 degrees - 70%,... 65 deg - 80%, till the last one 70 degrees, 100% fan. Is this too much? Not enough? ... I don't want to let the laptop overheat, but at the same time, I don't want to damage the fans... what do you guys think? What is a reasonable balance between the two, for gaming situations?

2- I'm trying to understand what CPU and GPU frequencies mean and their relation to each other, because I think I'm having some stuttering in my games because they're not syncronized (I know I might be wrong, so please correct me here). I have everything setup correctly, no apps running in the background, all my drivers are updated, all the silly settings from windows are "closed" or "off"... and STILL, I have some stuttering every now and then. I can feel that everything is running ok and smooth most of the time, but why I can't get a constant and permanent flow of my game without that spike every now and then??? How do these people on youtube can play a game for an hour, two hours with no stuttering???

So I downloaded MSI Afterburner to check all my temps, CPU usage, GPU usage, etc... and everything seems to be fine. Temps are low, GPU usage is higher than CPU, and framerates are constant as well as frametime. There's not a lot of variation, everything seems to be ok.
So when I opened the Task Manager to see where that spike was, I realised that when it happens, the graphic for the GPU goes down. So something is happening to my GPU flow that causes this "dip" and I can see clearly the line jumping at the same time on MSI Aftburner, showing the spike. So I know for sure that the spike is happening on my GPU and not CPU. Why is my GPU having this "hick up" every now and then? I'm using NVIDIA Profile Inspector as well, but EVERYTHING is as "vanilla" as possible, the only thing I change there is the label for the G-Sync not to show on the screen and then depending on the game, V-Sync on or off and other minor settings. I have basically everything I can think of as "vanilla" as possible, if that makes sense.... and still have those dam spikes. So, is it possible that my CPU and GPU are not syncronized properly? Should I try to overclock my GPU to match the CPU? Is this even a thing, or I'm absolutely wrong about all of this? (I bet is the last option)  ... :-(

If anyone could help me to find a solution for this, I'd appreciate and be very thankful, as I don't know what to do anymore. But please, don't reply telling me to update my drivers, because I've done that and I'm pretty sure that my computer is vanilla as possible, as I said. I wanna go deeper in this problem and understand really why this happens, and how to fix once and for all.

And by the way, this computer is brand new! I haven't changed anything like regedit, services, etc... as I said, everything is "as vanilla as possible".
Thank you.

12 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA SC15 - Please help a noob here! 2020/01/10 07:57:50 (permalink)
    Moving to proper location on the Forums - All Other EVGA Products

Home » All Forums » [Other EVGA Products] » All Other EVGA Products

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: EVGA SC15 - Please help a noob here! 2020/01/10 08:34:07 (permalink)
    Sounds like you have done quite a bit of the standard checks/ tips....so that is great.

There has been 1 other thing I can think of that exhibits that exact symptom for many people. 
    It is the built in Windows Xbox game DVR settings... They have changed a little bit over the past Win 10 updates but are generally the same.

making sure the recording function is 'OFF' is very important for keeping stuttering down....

https://www.howtogeek.com/273180/how-to-disable-windows-10s-game-dvr-and-game-bar/

Like i said, some of the screens have been moved around  some in past updates but generally this will give you an idea of where to / how to check.
    ------

Next suggestion would be to make sure you are NOT running GFE ( geforce Experience program ).  It also has been shown to cause weirdness for many people.  -> https://appuals.com/how-to-uninstall-geforce-experience/

Third, I have NO experience the Evga SC15 laptop , just laptops in general , but I would not expect a laptop ( even a gaming laptop ) to ever be completely stutter free 100%..... so that might just be the way it will go sometimes..?

Good Luck.

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA SC15 - Please help a noob here! 2020/01/10 09:36:49 (permalink)
    Run GPU-Z & look @ the sensor Tab

What settings have you changed in Nvidia control panel

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

AleCisla
    Re: EVGA SC15 - Please help a noob here! 2020/01/10 10:59:51 (permalink)
    Thank you for your reply guys!

-Steve, I have done all of that already. All the game settings are off, DVR, Recorder, Game Mode...The whole section.
    In fact, I got rid of all of the Xbox apps that comes with windows and I uninstalled GeForce Experience as well, I read about not being good by many people. Thanks for your help!! :)

-Cool GTX, I installed this GPU-Z and on the sensor tab I have: (wish I could just post a picture here showing)

GPU Clock = 1404.5 MHz
    Memory Clock = 2003.4 MHz
    GPU Temperature = 50 C
    Memory Used = 741MB
    GPU Load = 0%
    Then everything else is on 0% and Idle, but I noticed something here, the CPU temperature is fluctuating! ... is jumping from 49 to 52... then up to 64? And the graphic is going up and down non stop, also the System Memory Used keeps fluctuating quite a lot.... is this normal?

I just checked Precision X Mobile, and yes, my CPU temperature is fluctuating a lot... I mean, 10+ degrees of variation that quick? The GPU side looks so stable.

I haven't changed anything in NVCP, I left everything on 3D settings, physics to GTX-1060....colors to NVIDIA setting, 5% boost on the color itself... that's it. And on NVIDIA Profile Inspector, I only activate the label for the G-Sync in the Global options, coz then I switch it off for every single game, as I make a test first to see if G-Sync is recognizing the ".exe" file that I chose. And I make sure that Single Monitor is selected on the "Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration", which is basically just to tell NVCP that I have only 1 monitor. And that's it. Everything else is faded, not changed. Thank you for your help!!! :)
    -------------------------
    EDIT:
    I think I found a way to send the screenshot...
    By the way, all of this CPU temp fluctuation is in IDLE. I'm not doing anything right now... :(
    post edited by AleCisla - 2020/01/10 11:05:37

Attached Image(s)

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: EVGA SC15 - Please help a noob here! 2020/01/10 11:33:00 (permalink)
    AleCisla
    So when I opened the Task Manager to see where that spike was, I realised that when it happens, the graphic for the GPU goes down. So something is happening to my GPU flow that causes this "dip" and I can see clearly the line jumping at the same time on MSI Aftburner, showing the spike.

Post a pic of this happening.
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: EVGA SC15 - Please help a noob here! 2020/01/10 11:35:13 (permalink)
    I wouldn't think the laptop cpu heat should vary that much when doing nothing ...?

Have you checked the task manager to see what programs are accessing at idle ?  See if anything looks like it is using memory or process cores at higher than normal .... 

You could have a virus or a rogue program sucking up resources. 

or it could be bad TIM paste job , causing a slight overheat to the cpu - which would cause a speed clock drop due to heat.( in turn causing stutters )

Those are petty much the only other ideas I would have....

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA SC15 - Please help a noob here! 2020/01/10 11:42:44 (permalink)
    +1 for what Steve_b mentioned about CPU 

Learn about Using the EVGA Forums here: Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

AleCisla
    Re: EVGA SC15 - Please help a noob here! 2020/01/10 16:43:43 (permalink)
    Sajin this is the screenshot. Its a space flight simulator I like, Orbiter 2016. I use to play with no problems in my old computer, and this one although is brand new, gives me this "hick ups" every minute, or so.

Attached Image(s)

AleCisla
    Re: EVGA SC15 - Please help a noob here! 2020/01/10 16:55:00 (permalink)
    And yes, Steve and Cool GTX, I mistakenly left the windows updates "ON", then after I went back to check everything, there was a couple of updates waiting for restart. Sorry that was my bad. After closing everything I could think of, blocking Windows updates, I noticed that the CPU temperature was oscillating a lot less than before, but the core frequency still kept going up and down. I don't know, maybe it's supposed to be like that and I was just panicking. Also, the fans were going quite high for an idle state, but now after restart and not touching anything, to make sure its in IDLE completely, everything seems to be normal...

But those spikes still happen in all of my games, I play DCS World a combat flight simulator, again on my old machine, no problems. On this one, that hick up every 30 seconds, 1 minute... And I'm playing everything using Full Screen, with G-Sync on... and V-sync off, which I don't think could be the culprit, but then again, I'm a noob. 

I'm gonna have a look on that Starter Thread you mention and see if I can find something there too.... for now, thank you guys very much for helping me!!!
    Alex.

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA SC15 - Please help a noob here! 2020/01/10 17:12:39 (permalink)
    Looks like you may have a bad hdd/ssd as your disk usage is spiking while your cpu & gpu usage is dropping out.
    AleCisla
    Re: EVGA SC15 - Please help a noob here! 2020/01/12 13:32:01 (permalink)
    Sajin, this computer were sent to me by EVGA as a replacement, a few days ago. Outside, looks brand new, but I noticed a few details already: a scratch on the bottom lower front of the laptop, looks like it was dropped or crushed, but it's not totally visible, as it follows the same dark colour of the frame. And the screen has two distinct "green-ish" patches on the corner, only visible when the luminosity of the screen goes to a black colour, like when Windows is loading, I can clearly see. But apart from this 2 things, everything seems to be normal, and new. Do you think I should consider another RMA? I still have 1 year of so of warranty. But I don't want to get stuck with this computer later on, and then find out that it's broken after another year of use.... I paid a lot of money for it. :( 

Testing my CPU over and over again, I came with no conclusion about the changing in temperature. Leaving the laptop in IDLE completely for 5 minutes or so, gives me a change in CPU temperature like so: 32, 31, 32, 41, 36....31, 32, 42, 35.....??? Is this normal, I mean... maybe the sensor  is not doing his job properly, or maybe the sensor is ok, but the CPU has a problem....?
    I'm not an expert, that's why I came here to ask you guys to help me identify what's going on with my computer.

Also, the stuttering in one of my games, I kind of solved.... by setting the ".exe" file of it, to "Always run as an administrator"..... some tip I saw in a website, giving tips about how to get rid of stuttering. And it worked, the framerate feels more consistent and stable now. But for all the other games I have, the stuttering is still there.... sometimes very short, sometimes noticeable and annoying.
    Now, I found a bunch of files that I saved from my old laptop (same model as this), the one that went to the RMA....and I found the Registry file that I had saved on it, amongst this files. I'd like to know, would it be possible to compare this registry with my actual registry from this new computer, and then try to find what's different in between them???

Because I made a few tweaks on the old one and I got rid of the stuttering!!! But I can't remember what exactly I changed it!!!! :(
    Maybe I could try to find the differences in between them, and copy some of those changes to this one? Or all the changes....?
    Is this even possible?

Thank you all for your help guys! It means a lot to me!
    Alex.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA SC15 - Please help a noob here! 2020/01/12 13:47:22 (permalink)
    Sounds like you should rma just for the screen issue. Temps sound normal. 

Comparing the registry.   Good luck with that.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile