EVGA

980ti kingpin edition doesn't work once windows gets internet connection

Author
Guns22
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/01/03 09:32:58 (permalink)
Okay guys. This is driving me nuts, I hope someone can help. Ive been out of the gaming scene for a while and tecently got a pc donated to me by a buddy.

This pc worked fine before he wiped drives and shipped it to me.

I bought windows 10 and installed, after you connect to the internet during install 30-60 seconds later the screen flickers and dies and will reboot to windows logo then a black screen

Eventually as a trouble shooting the install I said I didnt have internet and the installer finishes and goes into desktop. At this point I can do whatever I want, i can reboot, I can leave it on. It all works.

When I reconnect the internet, windows says something about finishing install now that I have internet and I do so. But without fail within in a minute or two of having internet connected screen flickers then goes black, cards fans turn off. Reboot does same thing windows logo then black.

Something is being updated or changed and graphics card doesn't like it. As long as I never give the install internet everything works.

I've tried other monitors or connection types. Nothing. The computer seems to act like it's still on, itll sit there with the screen thinking it's getting a signal as long as I keep mouse moving. If Iet it idle for 10 minutes or so the screen will lose signal and go into power saving mode.

Computer works fine in safe mode, computer works fine when integrated graphics is used or when an older evga 660 is used.

What is being changed that is causing conflicts? I dont think the card it self is the problem, I think whatever update or config change windows is doing once it has internet is the problem. A driver conflict.

I've tried installing latest nvidia drivers, doesn't change any behavior.

Keeping in mind this pc worked perfectly fine 2 months ago, but it also never ran windows, it ran a mac os.

4 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 980ti kingpin edition doesn't work once windows gets internet connection 2020/01/03 11:30:18 (permalink)
    Sounds like you need to do this.
    Guns22
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: 980ti kingpin edition doesn't work once windows gets internet connection 2020/01/03 11:41:35 (permalink)
    Looks like a good place to start, I'll try a fresh install with this disabled when I get home from work.

Thank you.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 980ti kingpin edition doesn't work once windows gets internet connection 2020/01/03 11:43:15 (permalink)
    No problem.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: 980ti kingpin edition doesn't work once windows gets internet connection 2020/01/04 09:36:27 (permalink)
    Make sure you update your Win 10 to the latest version

1803 had many black screen issues

Automatic updates from Microsoft can be a pain

Also:  Windows Central - How to disable Windows 10 fast startup (and why you'd want to)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile