EVGA

EVGA 650W supernova g3 blew after 1 month

Author
Damusta
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/01/03 05:34:51 (permalink)
Hi, as it says in the topic my new rig that I build a month ago just lost it's valued member, psu. Other components in this rig:
Asrock x570 phantom gaming 4
Rtx 2070
16gb vengeange lpx
M2, ssd, hdd and sound card
:edit: ryzen 5 3600
No overclocking at all.

What i find most perplexing is that psu worked fine for a month until it "blew". By blowing i mean it suddenly shot a spark and blew my junction box fuse (10A). Naturally I tried to recreate the scenario and isolate the problem. Once fuse was back on, just adding the socket to wall would blow the house fuse again. I removed cords from the psu and added it alone to wall socket which also blew my fuse. Thus I conclude that there may have been a short circuit and psu has likely died. Luckily no visible damages in the rest of the rig as of yet.

I am going to RMA the psu through the retailer, but remain worried if there is some other error than faulty psu possible. Since after all, it ran for 1 month without issue before failing. Of course, just hour earlier i had added my new electrically adjustable table to same socket as my computer. I just cannot see why this would cause the failure. Other thing to note, is that just before failing i noticed that my headphones were only giving sound from one side. Figuring the connection had loosened somehow i went to fasten it behind computer, literally at the same time as psu blew up. Talk about coincidence..? Once again i do not see why lose headphone would relate to psu shorting itself.

I made up kinda long story here but I wanted to ask your feelings on the matter. Could the fault still be outside psu and if I should take some precautions before trying the replacement unit. I was thinking of connecting components one by one starting from MB. Here is hoping my other components were not busted also.

Any comments help I am sure.
post edited by Damusta - 2020/01/03 05:48:26

4 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: EVGA 650W supernova g3 blew after 1 month 2020/01/03 16:12:29 (permalink)
    Your house has fuses and 10 amp circuits?  Modern houses use circuit breakers and have 15 or 20 amp 110/120 volt circuits.  So, questionable old house wiring is a possible culprit.  Or, maybe just bad luck.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA 650W supernova g3 blew after 1 month 2020/01/04 09:24:57 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums

Sounds like older wiring ...  You would normally hire an electrician to confirm your house wiring is in proper condition & Safe.

I have no idea where your located .... in US there are cheap devices that homeowners can safely to plug into an outlet & test for the basics: polarity & ground

The Circuit Detective   Home Electrical Troubleshooting

A surge protection can help protect electronics from power surges.

Once the PSU was damaged .... replacing the fuse & having the fuse fail .. just supports that the PSU now has a short to ground

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Damusta
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: EVGA 650W supernova g3 blew after 1 month 2020/01/06 01:03:09 (permalink)
    Hi, thanks for the replies!

It is indeed old apartment where almost every electrical appliance is in same circuit. In my country, the output voltage is 230V so it is mostly fine.

I went ahead and got a replacement unit and the computer has been working okay for the weekend. I also noticed that before, my cpu fan would rapidly ramp up and down. I figured it was a little bad seating or a fan parameter thing but it seems to be missing. This leads me to believe that the unit was bad from the start. Might be wrong also.

I'll report if any further developments arise and get myself a surgeprotector just in case. Thanks for the help.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA 650W supernova g3 blew after 1 month 2020/01/06 11:07:47 (permalink)
    I Hope it runs strong for a long time

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile