AnsweredQuantumState

Author
Agam3mn0n
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2019/12/21 23:52:00 (permalink)
Hi guys!

First post to the forum, and while my rig is not new and, is getting a significant TRX40 flavoured overhaul in 2020; I have decided to post it here, in part because I think its still at the very least a pretty rig. :)

This machine is called QuantumState and was completed in March 2018, a month later it received a GPU upgrade to a EVGA 1080Ti SC2. The build has been posted to modsrigs and can be found at the following link.

Needless to say I do intend on keeping up to date on my refresh of the system later in 2020.

Attached Image(s)

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: QuantumState 2019/12/22 02:08:54 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Agam3mn0n 2019/12/22 02:12:46
I wanted a 3rd gen Threadripper myself but I couldn't find any in stock anywhere so I purchased a Ryzen 9 3950X 16 core, which has more cores than my previous 2920X 12 core processor.

I am looking forward to your mod updates. Your current mod looks awesome.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Agam3mn0n
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: QuantumState 2019/12/22 02:34:35 (permalink)
Oh thanks man,

I put extra care into training cables on that build, with such a large glass side panel I knew the whatever spaghetti nest was left behind would be on display! I can imagine anyone looking for a 3rd Gen Threadripper at the moment is bumping up against the limitations of TSMC's production capabilities. But I tend to take time over builds and my current rig is still relatively capable, if it takes four or five months (and it might as I live in Oz) so be it! :) The 3950X is an excellent product too, but I'm actually more impressed with the 3900X it alone is an incredible achievement to say the least. A friend of mine managed to luck out during a sale and put together a fairly potent rig for about $1,800 based on the 3900X and a cut price EVGA 2080Ti. I'm kinda biding time until I see what Nvidia has coming as its next step from the RTX20 series too. AS I said, no rush! But I will be sure to post updates on parts, trials, tribulations and occasional festivals of expletives!

I'm currently gravitating towards the Gigabyte Aorus Extreme TRX40 mobo, I like its VRM, but I haven't yet seen EVGA's TRX40 offerings yet. I tend to buy Asus, but I think the VRM is lacking on the Zenith II, Certainly I think it would be pushed too far with the 64 Core chip rumored to arrive at some point in the future. Lots to consider, lots of fun to be had! :D
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: QuantumState 2019/12/22 02:41:30 (permalink)
Agam3mn0n
Oh thanks man,

I put extra care into training cables on that build, with such a large glass side panel I knew the whatever spaghetti nest was left behind would be on display! I can imagine anyone looking for a 3rd Gen Threadripper at the moment is bumping up against the limitations of TSMC's production capabilities. But I tend to take time over builds and my current rig is still relatively capable, if it takes four or five months (and it might as I live in Oz) so be it! :) The 3950X is an excellent product too, but I'm actually more impressed with the 3900X it alone is an incredible achievement to say the least. A friend of mine managed to luck out during a sale and put together a fairly potent rig for about $1,800 based on the 3900X and a cut price EVGA 2080Ti. I'm kinda biding time until I see what Nvidia has coming as its next step from the RTX20 series too. AS I said, no rush! But I will be sure to post updates on parts, trials, tribulations and occasional festivals of expletives!

I'm currently gravitating towards the Gigabyte Aorus Extreme TRX40 mobo, I like its VRM, but I haven't yet seen EVGA's TRX40 offerings yet. I tend to buy Asus, but I think the VRM is lacking on the Zenith II, Certainly I think it would be pushed too far with the 64 Core chip rumored to arrive at some point in the future. Lots to consider, lots of fun to be had! :D

EVGA will not make a TRX40 motherboard. They are an Intel only motherboard vendor at this time. I like the ASRock TRX40 offerings. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

MasterMiner
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 713
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: QuantumState 2019/12/22 12:09:54 (permalink)
rjohnson11
Agam3mn0n
Oh thanks man,

EVGA will not make a TRX40 motherboard. They are an Intel only motherboard vendor at this time. I like the ASRock TRX40 offerings. 

That strategy made sense... up till now. The tide is gradually shifting. Many have suggested it in other forums, but yeah... I think a threadripper board (trx40) is a worthy investment in r+d and design.

I used to mine. Now I compute.
vegajf51
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 561
Re: QuantumState 2019/12/23 16:24:03 (permalink)
Agam3mn0n

Literally every TRx40 motherboard has a really good VRM, I would look for the features you want. 10 gig, Thunderbolt, drive capacity etc.
Also will depending on your case, the many are E-ATX, I think most the Asrock's are regular ATX.

Here is a pretty awesome build with an Asrock Taichi board(which on paper has the best VRM, but again they are all good)

notfordman
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10345
  • Ribbons : 28
Re: QuantumState 2019/12/26 13:09:18 (permalink)
I like the nickname, and you did a super job on the cables. Very nice looking build! +1 
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile