Author
Ghost13
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 214
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/12/18 14:23:58 (permalink)
Hello all and blessings.
I been folding now for about a year and just cashed in my first 55 evga bucks.
anyway, what is going on is a great thing, i myself fold for cancer .  it runs in my family, year some of us smoke and some do not . 

SO my question here is, how many systems can you run and use the same account ? 

and im wanting to build another system just to use as a folding system, what are some in put from you all on what to use.  Me i want to go with a system that is kinda old school and yet allow me to Fold with out any issue`s and gain points and evga buck each month like a server something with POWER would a X99 board work and as for the CPU what is a good cheap on to use that will allow me what i need for my needs video card or cards as well ?
I dont jack about servers so hope any one and everyone can give me advice and pointers on how to set one up .. 
Thank you again and blessings to all./..

11 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: folding now for about a year 2019/12/18 15:57:05 (permalink)
    As many as you want, just use your Name, Team & passkey when you set up the client so you get Folding Credit

I've got three of my Folding builds in my signature

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Ghost13
    Superclocked Member
    Re: folding now for about a year 2019/12/19 02:32:22 (permalink)
    i got ya, also see that they are pretty much X99 systems to .  im not lucky enuff to have 1 X99 system.  Did have a 2011V3 system at one time, but parted it out to build my Z390 system and build my sons Z370 system .. looks like ill be building a older school system in the 2011 socket set up and running older cards .. Poor man builds ... 
    yodap
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4642
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: folding now for about a year 2019/12/19 05:07:27 (permalink)
    I'm running socket 1155's and folding fine. Best gpu is 1080. Concentrate on a decent gpu.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: folding now for about a year 2019/12/19 07:01:05 (permalink)
    My Z97 MB has no issues supporting two 1080 Ti that are folding

To run More than 1 GPU you just need to make sure you have the PCIe lanes

X58 still works

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: folding now for about a year 2019/12/19 10:42:57 (permalink)
    Also if you're not using linux, doing so will net you higher points. I used it back when the multi-CPU rigs [4P/BA] were tops, but I had to have a lot of help with it.  If it was me I would just try to keep adding "decent" GPU's. Glad to have you folding and or crunching with us!! 
    Ghost13
    Superclocked Member
    Re: folding now for about a year 2019/12/19 11:03:30 (permalink)
    thanks all.  for the info and incite. 
    I been pricing used X99 stuff
    EVGA X99 Classified 
    and server grade CPU 
    Intel Xeon E5-2695v3 
    also thinking of going with triple GPU`s  
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN BLACK 
    running 8 sticks Gskill 2400mhz 32gb total for memory
    1000 watt power supply 
    on air or might go Water cooled, being how the cards already have the blocks and fittings on them .. 

or building a All AMD set up .. so far its intel  and evga stuff i been looking at .. 
    i would go with X299 but my pockets are not that deep .  \

As for the Op system id have to stick with windows 10 .  Im not a knowledgeable about linux ..
    I ran the linux with the little Penguin on it years ago but said no thanks to hard to set things up ..
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11083
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: folding now for about a year 2019/12/19 12:15:26 (permalink)
    For folding rig, I would skip the 3 Titan blacks and get a 1080Ti or 2080. Cost of electric has to be factored in the cost.
    For the x99, consider an e5-1660v3 is an unlocked  8 cores 16 thread CPU. I have mine at 4.3ghz  175$ or so.
    Titan 6gb, black and Z are good for BOINC milkeyway, not so great at folding this day and age with the newer GPUs.
    A new GPU will do as much PPD at a fraction of the cost running it. Now sure where you live, but think of the heat the 3 will produce.
    Nice in the Winter up north, but not so much in the Summer time. If you want to fold all year anyway.

If it is just a folding rig, find a x99 FTW or something cheaper. I have both FTW and Classy, its a great board too.
    So are my Asus x99 boards, very stable and cheaper than a Classy if you can find one.
    A x79 with an e5-1660v1 unlocked hexcore is an option too. Pleanty of pcie slots and pcie lanes

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Ghost13
    Superclocked Member
    Re: folding now for about a year 2019/12/19 17:47:20 (permalink)
    this is why i like the peeps here more than i do on any other page i have been one.  
    You guys give the best freaking advice and always helpful.  
    the other page i been one the people there , no matter what question you ask, its like im a idiot .  they are rude sometimes a Jack Ace in there replies ..
    Here you get upfront honest answer ..  even if i am really a idiot in the way i ask my question`s..  

So here is a BIG blessings to all .  Happy Holidays and my ya`ll  have a great year !
    Blessings 
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11083
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: folding now for about a year 2019/12/19 20:33:47 (permalink)
    As far as Linux, it is a lot better than it used to be. I have a few boxes running Linux Ubuntu 18.4
    The drivers are now in the repositories and install no problem. There are instructions all over the net "how to".
    Cut and paste is your friend. Installing folding is easy now a days. There are still some PITA things happen, but lots of help out there.
    I can get Linux installed, folding and crunching BOINC in a hour or so.

x79 and x99 xeons, the e5-16xx v1 v2 (x79) and v3 (x99) are unlocked multiplier. V4 (x99) is when they locked em up again.
    If this is a folding only 24/7 box, but the $$$ in the GPU. Get the best modern GPU in your budget. 2nd hand is fine too.
    I buy a lot of used hardware myself. More bang for the buck.
    If say 2 1080 or 1080Ti, two 2070 or two anything, consider z370, z390 and i5-8600k or 9600k.
    I like the k model for a little OC and resale value, but even a non-K can work fine for a couple GPUs

Good luck what ever you do. Ask questions, people here will help you out.

Happy holidays to you and your family.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Ghost13
    Superclocked Member
    Re: folding now for about a year 2019/12/20 03:21:05 (permalink)
    my main system is running a 8700K on the EVGA Z390 board.  
    and with what i do gaming.  my system runs 80+ at times with folding running 100% all the time.  
    thats why im wanting to build a second system to run as a folder all the time, and not maxing out my main system 24/7 ..  right now my system is at 75C.  even water cooled ...  so to leave some of that stress off my main system would be a plus, and for me to hit 21K point each month folding. instead of me having to slow down the folding or even Pause it and only get 7k each month. me hitting 21k each month would help me out alot when it comes to a discount off EVGA stuff, my pocket would alot lighter in the buying game even when it comes to buying B stock items .. 

Opolis
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2778
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: folding now for about a year 2019/12/23 19:53:38 (permalink)
    If you are worried about temps, lower the GPU power target and set a max temp of say 75 C.
    The GPU will lower clock speed obviously but the temps stay down as well.
    I save one setting for folding and switch to my "max OC" setting for gaming on my main rig.
    IMO the slightly lower clock speed won't hurt folding PPD much.

It would be interesting to compare actual numbers, but I would think you could just pause folding to game.
    Even watching YouTube with hardware acceleration on my PPD goes down.
    I regularly use the "Finish" option ahead of anticipated gaming sessions so I don't have a WU paused, losing bonus points while I game.
    Teamviewer or Chrome Remote Desktop are good free options to control this from your cell phone when you're away.

I also see you are using the Pirocast folding signature, but it has not been working for a few weeks now.
    You can also get a "less cool looking" free sig from EOC stats website instead (see below)
    post edited by Opolis - 2019/12/23 20:02:31

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile