EVGA

2080 TI Blower , is the back plate removable?

Author
Tapanojum
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/12/12 15:30:10 (permalink)
I'd like to remove the back plate on my 2080 TI blower's because I have a 4 GPU configuration and they are basically touching one other. I imagine even a slight gap would give them more air to breathe.

I'd like to know if it's possible to remove the plate and if there's instructions somewhere. I know it's probably not a very complicated thing, but I'm understandably worried about damaging a $1000 card. Looking at the manual for other cards, it looks like the direction is to pretty much remove every single screw visible on the back. After doing so, does the backplate just slide off or would I need to put in some decent amount of force to budge it?

Thanks!
post edited by Tapanojum - 2019/12/12 16:06:49

2 Replies Related Threads

sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2413
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: 2080 TI Blower , is the back plate removable? 2019/12/13 03:30:16 (permalink)
    Well i would think you could remove the backplate but if you do you would have to put most if not all the screws back in because they not only hold the backplate on they also keep the shroud in place which is very important on a blower model card to direct air flow out the back of the pc, so putting the screws back in i would put a small plastic/nylon washer on each screw to keep from messing up the pcb though. I know the screws are very small but you can still get washers that small. 

Tapanojum
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: 2080 TI Blower , is the back plate removable? 2019/12/13 11:38:22 (permalink)
    Thank you for your response!

I'm nervous about it because this system is critical to project completion that too many people depend on. Was hoping for official direction on what screws are needed after removal, what size and material washer to use if needed, etc. I can't afford downtime but at the same time I'm worried about two cards hovering around 89C.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile