EVGA

Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti -- ignore DisplayPort disconnects

Author
Blackbird714
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/12/08 19:20:44 (permalink)
I am seeking an OS-agnostic solution to a problem caused by the hot-plug nature of DisplayPort monitors.  When Windows or Mac OSX detects a monitor has been disconnected, any apps or "spaces" assigned to the display gets consolidated to the primary display.  Then when the monitor reconnects, the desktops are restored, but the apps/windows remain in a shifted spot, probably on a different display.

Primary XB71HU: 2560 x 1440 @144Hz
Secondary VE278Q: 1920 x 1080 @60Hz

The reason for the monitors being disconnected is core to my computer/office setup -- I have shared keyboard/monitor and DP monitors connected to a KVM.  When I switch the displays between computers, this disconnects the DP monitors from one computer and reconnects them to another.

I’ve turned off DDC/CI (only the VE278Q allows this unfortunately), and fiddled with Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) on Windows.  This thread describes a way to reset the Windows "default" monitor configuration to match the real display(s):

None of these solutions have influenced this behavior for my setup yet.  Any ideas or suggestions?

7 Replies Related Threads

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti -- ignore DisplayPort disconnects 2019/12/08 23:39:59 (permalink)
    Might want to check and see which screen is set as priority from the Nvidia Control Panel and make sure both systems choose the same screen as priority so it all doesn't move around too much for ya if I understand your issue correctly.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti -- ignore DisplayPort disconnects 2019/12/09 07:31:00 (permalink)
    Moving to General Hardware

Home » All Forums » [Computer Hardware/Software] » General Hardware

this is mostly about your KVM switch issues

Many KVM are designed with emulation-base technology -- these units can have issues with Win 10

a DDM type KVM is the only plug-and-play compatible switch with win 10

If you do a simple screen refresh does it "fix" the layout ?

Jumping Between OS --> "Windows or Mac OSX" ---> your application is probably much harder to resolve ...

If one monitor behaves, might be time to buy a second one ... if that fits your needs

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Blackbird714
    Re: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti -- ignore DisplayPort disconnects 2019/12/09 10:29:56 (permalink)
    To clarify, the symptom on my Windows 10 PC (EVGA RTX 2080 Ti), any windows for open apps get moved around when I switch the KVM to another PC.  When I switch back to the Windows 10 PC, then right-click on the desktop to Refresh, nothing happens to change the placement of the windows that were moved.  For example, any Chrome sessions that were up on my secondary display prior to switching to another PC, when I return to the Windows PC, those Chrome windows are moved back to the primary display.

By monitor "priority" I assume you mean which display is primary?  For Windows, it is:

Primary XB71HU: 2560 x 1440 @144Hz (GSYNC, no option for DDC/CI)
    Secondary VE278Q: 1920 x 1080 @60Hz (DDC/CI is disabled)

For Mac, the "Primary" is the internal laptop display.  But honestly, Mac OSX seems to be handling the situation pretty well upon further review.  So we can ignore that for this discussion.

The reference to DDC/CI was because I read some some discussions elsewhere that suggested that disabling this feature on the monitor was a way to prevent the disconnect from being detected by connected devices entirely.  The KVM could absolutely influence behavior too; I've been in touch with the support contacts for the device, and they simply pass the switch event through as a disconnect of the display (as if it were unplugged).

I understand that Quadro cards have some additional options in the Nvidia Control Panel that might help my situation: 

This is what I'm really fishing for -- are there any low-level config settings that could be used to override how the RTX cards respond to a disconnected display?

Thanks!
    -- John
    post edited by Blackbird714 - 2019/12/09 10:32:22
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti -- ignore DisplayPort disconnects 2019/12/09 10:35:42 (permalink)
    fixed your post --> retrieved from spam filter

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti -- ignore DisplayPort disconnects 2019/12/09 10:59:30 (permalink)

Blackbird714
    Re: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti -- ignore DisplayPort disconnects 2019/12/11 07:15:42 (permalink)
    I read through those, nothing new there that I spotted that applies to my situation.  To reiterate my main question:  
    Are there any low-level config settings that could be used to override how the RTX cards respond to a disconnected display?

NVIDIA Quadro cards have a section in the Control Panel that theoretically lets you override monitor configurations, effectively ignoring the DisplayPort disconnect event.  But those options are not available for GTX/RTX cards.  Lots of folks complain of these issues, but it is a niche problem.  It seems that this forum doesn't like me posting links so I cannot reference anything to support my claim.
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti -- ignore DisplayPort disconnects 2019/12/11 12:23:49 (permalink)
    Its most likely because of the very different resolutions your running on each. Have you tried turning the one monitor down to 1080p60hz to match the other monitor, save it and then log back in and then try your monitor swap?

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile