New Computer water cooling loop question

Author
HayzBaby
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 483
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2019/12/05 20:33:27 (permalink)
So I am building my own custom computer desk and gathering all the parts and pieces I need prior to disassembling my current rig. Just curious if anyone has any ideas on a good loop direction, does this one work? does anyone have any other ideas of loop thoughts? Top left item is EK's new Flat Res/Pump Combo that I ordered, and then Rads on the sides.

Edit: All the parts are being laid flat in my computer desk that I am building. Pic below is the new EK Res/pump combo i was talking about. The runs aren't going to be that long from what i measured. It just looks like its a long haul. I have more than that tucked away in my tower running behind everything than I'll have just going straight shot from part to part. The Blue and Red lines are already setup to run into the blocks at the proper port for flow. Nothing is going reverse flow compared to the fin plates inside. The setup is similar to what I currently run, i have my GPU/CPU in a parallel setup meaning, they both get a little bit of cold water on the left ports into the block. Meaning, Left port GPU then left port CPU, then hot water leaves on the right port cpu and right side gpu back to the Res. I am just adding a Rad in the sequence to increase overhead in the future for cooling while also reducing fan noise since I wont have to run 3 fans at 1k rpm, i can run 6 at 500 and have the same cooling properties but half the noise. I am adding a drain port or valve to the back side of the Res once it's mounted inside the case. The bottom of the new Res has 2 extra holes drilled beside of the pump. The regular Volume series just has the 4 holes drilled in the front plate. The drain hole or the 2 extra holes are inline with the other adjacent holes on the front giving me more or less the "lowest" point in the loop order to be able to drain it easily

post edited by HayzBaby - 2019/12/06 12:36:39

Attached Image(s)

16 Replies Related Threads

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: New Computer water cooling loop question 2019/12/06 01:15:19 (permalink)
    Loop order doesn't matter as long as the pump is being fed with the juice.  That's the most important part but other than that, a drain valve.  

Also, you might want to make sure the CPU block doesn't need a specific flow orientation as some do and others don't.

My advise would be, keep it nice and simple.  Not need to hope over.  You could chain rads if need be since the fluid in the loop will reach a equilibrium (normalize) so your closest ports could head back instead of the far back ones.  Keep it as straight and short as possible.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: New Computer water cooling loop question 2019/12/06 08:06:50 (permalink)
    make sure the (reservoir) "pump" is gravity fed

keep hoses short

Remember air rises -- when your trying to get the air out of the loop.  Hey, tipping a PC case is easy compared to trying to tip a Desk

Quick disconnects can be handy

drain

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

HayzBaby
    iCX Member
    Re: New Computer water cooling loop question 2019/12/07 08:37:53 (permalink)
    Is the routing for this going to work? I ran it similar to my current rig except, I'm adding a Rad in the loop after the gpu. I don't think flow should be an issue.

Suggestions anyone?
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: New Computer water cooling loop question 2019/12/07 08:50:12 (permalink)
    No, the second rad is fine if that is where you want to put it

Many nice short water loop information in these:
    1) EK Guides
    2) EK Blog

& this Thread:  Ready to try water cooling. Where to start? Library of links-basics to expert

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14533
    • Ribbons : 222
    Re: New Computer water cooling loop question 2019/12/07 12:00:15 (permalink)
    As was pointed out above, loop order doesn't matter. As long as the pump you're planning on using has sufficient head pressure you're good to go. Only thing you need to consider is making sure the pump is at the lowest point in the loop so it's gravity fed and adding a drain port is super helpful for maintenance. 

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
    Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
    ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
    64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
    MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
    HayzBaby
    iCX Member
    Re: New Computer water cooling loop question 2019/12/07 14:07:52 (permalink)
    It's all going to be on the same plain since it'll be in a desk. My concerns were there tubing flow, like the way the water is routed. Flow shouldn't be affected splitting up the flow half to gpu and the rest going to the back rad then CPU then back to the other side
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: New Computer water cooling loop question 2019/12/08 19:00:58 (permalink)
    Your diagram is good, "splitting the flow" is something different entirely. Literally splitting the flow means using a Y or T connector and piping multiple channels within the same loop, which is best to avoid because it can cause pressure loss and one of the channels gets more flow rate than the other... A straightforward linear loop like in your diagram is perfectly fine.

Keep in mind to orient your rez/pump combo so the pump isn't sucking air, otherwise it should be fine whether in a case or on a tabletop. If it's laying flat on a desk (as I take your post to say) then you will probably want to prop up the other end so the air stays away from the pump.

Have water, will cool. 
    HayzBaby
    iCX Member
    Re: New Computer water cooling loop question 2019/12/08 19:31:15 (permalink)
    It's hard to describe in text as far as the splitting goes like I'm trying to describe.
    This is how my flow is routed currently

Idk how i can post images after the first post, this forum is ridiculous
    HayzBaby
    iCX Member
    Re: New Computer water cooling loop question 2019/12/08 19:39:58 (permalink)
    My current loop goes to the left side port of the GPU, then up to the inlet of the CPU block, out cpu, then back into the right side of the GPU block back to the rad/res/pump.

Splits the flow to both instead of 1 then the other then back.

I'm pretty much doing the same thing, except its going from left side GPU to the rear Rad, then into the CPU, then back to the GPU to exit and return across the desk to the other Rad, then back to the Res. I have no issues with this at the moment in my current rig, temps were actually better running it like this instead of going to gpu then cpu independently. They both get "half flow" as cool water, and expel "half flow" of hot water, then returns to Rad/res/pump. Adding a another Res to the mix shouldn't hurt anything. Half flow will still go to the GPU then leave and return, as the other half will go up to the rear Rad, then down to the CPU, flow into the right ports of the GPU like my current rig, then all return to Rad/Res 
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: New Computer water cooling loop question 2019/12/09 01:17:39 (permalink)
    Sorry but that's a horrible idea to split the flow and run it like that.  The fluid will find its way as stated to the least resistant part of the loop.  You would need a perfectly flowing loop but there's no such thing as perfect.  The fluid will always flow more on one side than the other.  It's always best to run the loop short and simple with the pumps in serial if more than one are added and the selection of Serial or Parallel on multi GPUs.  I've run both and had no issues but if you want the same temps all around than Parallel is the right configuration for GPUs.  Again, flow is never to be split up unless its going through GPU blocks at the most and met up at the end but hey, to each their own.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    HayzBaby
    iCX Member
    Re: New Computer water cooling loop question 2019/12/09 05:22:14 (permalink)
    I'll give it a shot. My GPU/CPU must be getting enough flow as is, because my CPU and GPU while playing the new call of duty or any other newer game, CPU never reaches 50, and the GPU stays in the low/mid 40's games maxed out. CPU idles at 23-24 most days.

If adding a foot of tubing and another Rad changes anything, I'll be highly surprised. If it does, I guess I'll have to run it serial.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: New Computer water cooling loop question 2019/12/09 08:55:25 (permalink)
    HayzBaby
    It's hard to describe in text as far as the splitting goes like I'm trying to describe.
    This is how my flow is routed currently

Idk how i can post images after the first post, this forum is ridiculous

I clicked on your Imgur image ---> Then selected "Copy image location"

Steps can be found in the:    Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

9. How to Upload and Post a Picture

HayzBaby
    iCX Member
    Re: New Computer water cooling loop question 2019/12/09 15:41:42 (permalink)
    Do any experts want to take a crack at doing a loop route? I'm sure there is a few different ways to run the tubing, open for suggestions
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: New Computer water cooling loop question 2019/12/09 15:51:49 (permalink)
    EK's new Flat Res/Pump Combo -- pump out bottom of desk --> put pump at lowest point --> shows the Res facing up - Horizontal (check EK documents for approved mounting orientation)

- Or even vertical, outside of the desk on a bracket

If that Res has unused port that may be a good place for drain out the bottom of desk

Those two radiators --> face the sides of desk ---> intake air through side of desk - then radiator --> "out" back or bottom of desk

Check the Mods Rigs section search - see what others have done

"Search by - Case" & "Key term" - Desk = 19 systems - not all had photos

HayzBaby
    iCX Member
    Re: New Computer water cooling loop question 2019/12/09 16:31:30 (permalink)
    Sadly the bottom side of the top section of the desk will put setting on another piece identical to the top, but it will serve as a anchor for the top, as well as the base to mount the legs.

So running anything under, unseen, is out of the question sadly
    RainStryke
    The Advocate
    • Total Posts : 15872
    • Ribbons : 60
    Re: New Computer water cooling loop question 2019/12/10 07:21:25 (permalink)
    Make sure to include a drain port. It's vital to the maintenance of the loop.
    https://www.ekwb.com/blog/useful-tips-part-1-drain-valve/

Install it the way it makes sense to you, just make sure you have enough tubing to get the job done. It's as simple as making sure your loop goes full circle back to the pump.

Main PC | Secondary PC
    Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
    ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
    32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
    SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
    Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
    Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile