EVGA

X299 Dark motherboard in a Cooler Master C700M case - need help

Author
Rlentini3
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/12/06 06:02:37 (permalink)
I didn't match up my case and motherboard very well, but I'm trying my best to make them work together.

The X299 has one USB 3 header, and the case needs two 3.0 headers plus a 3.1 header.  I found a 3.0 to 3.1 plug-in board to convert the X299 header on the motherboard for use with the 3.1 case cable.  And I found a PCI card with two 3.0 headers to enable the four USB 3.0 ports on the case.  Problem solved there.

But now the lack of an A-RGB header on the X299 is giving me a fit.  YES, I know it's called 'DARK' for a reason.  But the case has a whole board of A-RGB fan power/light controls with the one cable I need to plug in being the A-RGB header cable.  There don't seem to be any A-RGB PCI cards. That would have made my life easy because presumably I'd have PC control of the A-RGB port.

And while there are several A-RGB controllers you can stick in your case, none seem to provide PC software access or have the right ports for the C700M case's A-RGB cable. Other than suggestions to return the case or return the motherboard or not be an idiot next time... Anyone have ideas how I can get A-RGB control with the X299 in a Cooler Master C700M?  
Thanks!

2 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: X299 Dark motherboard in a Cooler Master C700M case - need help 2019/12/06 06:27:44 (permalink)
    Welcome to the EVGA Forums

I believe a controller is your only option for that specific combination you purchased

I'd start with your Fan Mfg & expand your options from there.

It may be easier & cheaper to replace the fans with a brand, that has the controller software you want

The type of RGB are you trying to setup =  Addressable ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Rlentini3
    • Total Posts : 12
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: X299 Dark motherboard in a Cooler Master C700M case - need help 2019/12/10 13:56:45 (permalink)
    Yes, addressable.  I ended up with a Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R CPU cooler, with has two A-RGB fans and comes with an A-RGB/RGB controller that goes inside the case.

The ML240R controller had the right ports/cables to set me up.  This is what I've got: the three lights from the CPU cooler go via a 3-to-1 argb cable into controller.  The case board goes into the controller via another argb cable. The controller goes to a USB 2 mobo header (for future SW control?) and into SATA power.  (The controller has three more 3-pin argb ports, two 4-pin rgb ports, and four temperature sensor ports that I'm not using.)  The controller has buttons for mode/color/speed/argb-rgb switch, and controls the case lights well. I'm fairly happy with this setup, and I believe I've read somewhere that Cooler Master is adding SW controls for controllers after they're in production.  So I might have SW control in the end as well.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile