Evga X99 BIOS flash anomaly

Author
H-Emmanuel
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/11/27 18:16:35 (permalink)
Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing a very weird issue with my Evga X99 Classified.

My 3 BIOS versions were:
#1 = 2.03
#2 = 2.03
#3 = 1.12

Within the BIOS, I flashed #1 to 2.07 and after that, the computer would no longer post, staying stuck at code 95 (sometimes 96) and eventually the CATERR LED would turn on.

Within the BIOS, I then tried to flash BIOS #3 to 2.06 and after that, same problem.

Using BIOS #2 to boot into Windows, I hot flashed #1 and #3 to version 2.03 and still the motherboard won't POST when the BIOS selector is set to them.

What could explain this weird behavior? At first I thought maybe there was something incompatible with my hardware in BIOS 2.07 and 2.06. But now that to the best of my knowledge, I've reverted back to 2.03 through the Windows flash app and they still don't work, I'm wondering what's wrong. There were no errors or power interruptions during the BIOS flash...

I reset the CMOS countless of times already.

Thanks!

5 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Evga X99 BIOS flash anomaly 2019/11/27 18:23:53 (permalink)
    First -- Did you reset the BIOS to Default -- Before Flashing it ?

Try rebooting 3 times ... when it locks just hold the power button till it restarts again ... it may work through the issue

At least that is what I did to make my X99 Classy "work" after some heavy maintenance & mods on the custom loop

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

H-Emmanuel
    Re: Evga X99 BIOS flash anomaly 2019/11/27 19:01:33 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I did.

Can you elaborate on your rebooting technique? What do you mean by "when it locks"?

I was able to "revive" the two BIOS by flashing version 1.12 (what originally came with my board). However I'd like to update to the latest BIOS for the security/vulnerability fixes.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Evga X99 BIOS flash anomaly 2019/11/27 19:17:43 (permalink)
    I did Not Flash my BIOS

After having the system down for a few weeks ... GPUs removed ... On first Reboot the MB failed at a code & just sat there several minutes.. before Win logon

So, I forced reboot - by power button .. stuck again .. after 3 min. I force the PC to boot again with power button ... System worked - Full Boot

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Evga X99 BIOS flash anomaly 2019/11/27 20:52:21 (permalink)
    Umm, version 2.09 is the latest for an X99 Classified in the EVGA Download Center..Any reason you're not flashing to that one?

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

H-Emmanuel
    Re: Evga X99 BIOS flash anomaly 2019/11/28 13:17:45 (permalink)
    Here's a little story :)

The issues I described began after I flashed BIOS 2.09 so I tried downgrading to previous versions to see if the problem would go away.

Before I started tinkering with BIOS updates and having boot problems, I had a 6850K running on 2.03. The night before swapping out to my current 5960X, I ran Memtest86 7.5 (UEFI) for 50 passes, 31 hours to make sure that if any issue arose, it wouldn't be RAM related.

When I first installed the 5960X, it hung on post code 95 and sometimes 96. After a single CMOS reset, it finally booted on the same BIOS chip (2.03) as the 6850K. I got into Windows to do some testing and oddly enough, the computer would auto-restart within an hour of running Prime95 without any error or BSOD. The core temperatures were all around 50C, same thing for the motherboard VRMs. My PSU is a Evga Supernova 1200 P2 and just a few days earlier I was running my 4.3GHz 6850K for 24H+ in some custom AVX/FMA3 small FFT loops; that was pulling 200W vs the stock 140W 5960X.

Doubting that my PSU or motherboard had suddenly died on me, I decided to check if any BIOS updates had been released in case they fixed some kind of compatibility issue. For security reasons (spectre etc.), I wanted to flash the latest version anyway.

After I flashed 2.09 and every single BIOS down to 2.02, the computer would remain stuck at post code 95/96 regardless of CMOS resets and restarts. I had to flash 1.12 or 1.20 to get those BIOS chips bootable again, anything higher would bring back the problem. This whole thing started looking like some low-level software glitch more than a hardware problem, especially considering that 2.03 worked and then no longer worked when I reflashed it.

Not wanting to take apart my 2 water loops, I did the next best thing. I disconnected literally everything that connects to the motherboard except for 1 stick of RAM, my GPU and the case power/reset/LED wires. I also flipped off all but 1 PCI-E switch.

I then attempted a first boot on 2.09 which got stuck at the usual 95/96. I did a single CMOS reset and finally, it booted all the way into the BIOS. I repeated this procedure for the 2.03 BIOS chip and that worked too.

I then reconnected everything I disconnected and still booted successfully into both BIOS (2.09 and 2.03). I just finished running a 2-hour loop of Prime95 FMA3, 112K in-place and the computer did not auto-restart. This specific test auto-restarted after like 20 minutes earlier.

All in all, this leaves me with a few questions:
    1- it seems like the CPU and motherboard struggled with their initial "handshake". Does anyone have an idea of what could have gone wrong that got magically fixed after stripping the computer to barebones? No component other than the CPU was changed during this upgrade.

2- although I haven't run Prime95 for more than 2 hours yet to completely verify that the computer no longer auto-restarts, if it is truly fixed then something weird was going on at a BIOS/CPU level. The computer would no longer boot even after reflashing the original bootable version (2.03). It's as if something at the BIOS level persisted from the 6850K to the 5960X which allowed the computer to boot but also made it unstable (auto-restart under heavy load). The moment I flashed a BIOS using the 5960X, that persistent information was gone and the computer would no longer boot until going barebone. When it did finally boot, the instability was gone. Anyone wants to speculate on this?

3- one thing I did add during the upgrade was the Classified IO cover. In one thread, someone recommended removing it without mentioning why. Does anyone know why someone would recommend removing it? Does it pose some kind of risk? (it is made of metal)

Thanks!
    post edited by H-Emmanuel - 2019/11/28 14:47:13

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile