Author
vegajf51
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 561
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2019/11/19 19:54:08 (permalink)
https://hothardware.com/news/amd-zen-3-epyc-milan-cpu-ipc-gains

Very interesting, I knew they were going to a single 8 core CCX to help reduce latency but first I am hearing of a new architecture.

While speaking with TheStreet, Norrod gives us some critical insight into the Zen 3 Milan EPYC processors that will be coming out in 2020. First and foremost, Norrod confirmed that Zen 3 will feature an all-new architecture, rather than being a further refinement of Zen 2 and Zen/Zen+ that came before it.

With that should come some nice improve in instructions per clock (IPC). AMD was able to eke out a roughly 15 percent uplift in IPC performance going from Zen/Zen+ to Zen 2, which is to be expected with the die shrink from 14nm/12nm to 7nm and evolutionary improvements to the architecture. But with a completely new architecture under the hood, coupled with TSMC's refined 7nm+ process node, we could see an even bigger jump in performance with Zen 3.

According to Norrod, AMD will deliver "right in line with what you would expect from an entirely new architecture." He also added that he is confident in AMD's ability to "drive significant IPC gains each generation." In addition to the IPC gains, the 7nm+ node should allow AMD to ramp speeds slightly, which should result in even greater performance across the board. 

Read more at https://hothardware.com/n...ns#D0wBAZQ4jFS3eUkT.99

3 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30974
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: AMD Confirms All-New Architecture For Zen 3 EPYC Milan CPUs And Huge IPC 2019/11/20 05:30:21 (permalink)
    Probably  8-10% IPC gain with Zen 3 and a few 100 MHz in clock speed

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re: AMD Confirms All-New Architecture For Zen 3 EPYC Milan CPUs And Huge IPC 2019/11/20 05:49:03 (permalink)
    I'd rather treat Zen 3 as a 2+ to curb expectations; the last thing we need is to be let down by AMD's real intent when our own hype betray us, and then blame AMD for it.

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30974
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: AMD Confirms All-New Architecture For Zen 3 EPYC Milan CPUs And Huge IPC 2019/11/20 06:24:10 (permalink)
    lehpron
    I'd rather treat Zen 3 as a 2+ to curb expectations; the last thing we need is to be let down by AMD's real intent when our own hype betray us, and then blame AMD for it.

definitely a tick

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile