Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
guilhermemuck
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/11/15 03:53:28 (permalink)
Hi everyone,

I just received from EVGA a replacement 2080 TI FTW3. My original card had the three red leds issue where eventually when turn on the computer the card had one fan spinning at max, no LED and unable to control the leds (resetting the machine or turning it off and on again would make the card work properly). I opened a RMA for that card and shipped it to EVGA. Received my new one last wednesday.

However, when hooking up the new card to the PC I was able to boot Windows ONCE (yes, only once) and after just a few seconds into the desktop the screen went black and the computer freezes. Resetting the machine doesn't help either because it freezes when loading windows, the screen goes black and I have no activity on the system (num lock or caps lock don't lit, no keyboard led, nothing).

If I remove the card and hook back to the pc my backup 1070ti it works perfectly.

I tried to format c: and have a new fresh windows installation with the 2080 TI hooked to the pc. The setup process goes ok, but, when the first boot occurs and the system is installing drivers it freezes and the screen goes black again, repeating the same loop described above - and - hooking up the 1070ti back it works normally.

EVGA support told me they tested the 2080 TI before shipping it to me - but I ask - did they?

The 2080 TI (the one I sent back to EVGA), the cpu and the motherboard are new. This is the first system I built using those parts, but, before that I had several cards - from 1080ti, 1070ti and 2080ti - in my previous Ryzen 7 1800X system. All I did was upgrade the core parts - 3900X, X570 motherboard and the 2080 TI - the PSU is the same. If you ask me if I am sure the PSU is capable to provide enough power to the system - YES! It's an 850 watt 80 plus platinum from Corsair.

EVGA approved the RMA for the 2080 TI, but, I live in Brazil and shipping the card back to the USA isn't cheap. I was hoping to maybe find another reason why the problem is happening, exclusively, with the replacement 2080 TI they sent me.

Like I said above, during the last 18 months I had several GPUS: (I build and sell computers, so, while keeping the same cpu and mobo I had many GPUS)

1 - EVGA 1080 TI SC
2 - ROG STRIX 1080 TI
3 - ZOTAC AMP EXTREME 1080 TI
4 - GIGABYTE AORUS EXTREME 1080 TI
5 - 1070 TI FTW2 (my current backup gpu)
6 - EVGA 2080 TI FTW3 - this one worked perfectly but I sold it with a machine I built
7 - ROG STRIX OC 2080 TI - same as above

and now, number 8, another 2080 TI FTW3 that I bought last September while I was traveling in the US.

Here is a video of the current 2080 TI problem:

And here is the video of the 3 red lights GPU I had the RMA:

So, guys, any suggestions or ideas of what is happening here? Is the replacement 2080 TI EVGA sent me really the problem?

32 Replies Related Threads

guilhermemuck
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 03:58:07 (permalink)
    Somehow the forum deleted the video links, so again

Three red lights: drive.google.com/open?id=13ZT09SDEYHqJJylEoQmzfYpsZ-ldBJCd

Current problem: drive.google.com/open?id=17kukESDqjo2t0HRJuKkL9uTHD5XnU37e
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 04:03:27 (permalink)
    Hello

You have a new & limited account - that is why links & such would disappear - read:  Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I'll review your post & links - see If I can Help

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

guilhermemuck
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 04:13:05 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Hello

You have a new & limited account - that is why links & such would disappear - read: 

I'll review your post & links - see If I can Help

Thanks.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 04:13:50 (permalink)
    Your Videos - will not play - the screen picture shows - as soon as I push play - the screen is black ?

If I "Refresh the page" the stationary opening screen displays again

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17kukESDqjo2t0HRJuKkL9uTHD5XnU37e/view

https://drive.google.com/...EoQmzfYpsZ-ldBJCd/view

post edited by Cool GTX - 2019/11/15 04:16:00

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

altonadavid
    • Total Posts : 81
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 04:18:12 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Your Videos - will not play - the screen picture shows - as soon as I push play - the screen is black ?

Can you BOOT into Safe Mode ?

Monitor & Cable type being used ?

I can see both videos playing, but yeah i would try a different monitor cable and or monitor and see if it changes, and try safe mode, if not i would say the card seems to be defective.
    post edited by altonadavid - 2019/11/15 04:21:13
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 04:19:07 (permalink)

What is PCIE set to in BIOS ?   Legacy - OR - UEFI

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 04:19:48 (permalink)
    altonadavid
    Cool GTX

I can see both videos playing

Are you logged into Google ?

Or a third part video player ?

If not I might need to get a different mp4 codec for my laptop

DeadlyMercury
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 422
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 04:20:15 (permalink)
    if problem occurs with drivers - maybe something wrong with driver itself (wrong wersion?) or gpu bios.

You can try to load windows in safe mode and remove installed driver and after that try to flash your gpu with evga utility. Also you can try to plug in monitor using different port because it could be failed too like in this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYRPOc3HQKg

"An original idea. That can't be too hard. The library must be full of them."
    Stephen Fry
    guilhermemuck
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 04:22:25 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

What is PCIE set to in BIOS ?   Legacy - OR - UEFI

UEFI. Bios is using optimal defaults, the motherboard is MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi and the cpu a Ryzen 3900X.

Monitor is a Dell 1080P 60hz, HDMI 2.0 cable.

Here are the links again:

3 red lights drive.google.com/file/d/13ZT09SDEYHqJJylEoQmzfYpsZ-ldBJCd/view?usp=sharing

current issue drive.google.com/file/d/17kukESDqjo2t0HRJuKkL9uTHD5XnU37e/view?usp=sharing
    guilhermemuck
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 04:23:40 (permalink)
    Adding to your question - with the 2080 TI hooked up I cannot boot to safe mode. The pc somehow gets bricked / corrupted I think.

altonadavid
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 04:24:08 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    altonadavid
    Cool GTX

I can see both videos playing

Are you logged into Google ?

Or a third part video player ?

If not I might need to get a different mp4 codec for my laptop

I was logged into google and they both show fine in google chrome, so i also opened them on firefox browser and they played fine without being logged into google.
    guilhermemuck
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 04:26:11 (permalink)
    DeadlyMercury
    if problem occurs with drivers - maybe something wrong with driver itself (wrong wersion?) or gpu bios.

You can try to load windows in safe mode and remove installed driver and after that try to flash your gpu with evga utility. Also you can try to plug in monitor using different port because it could be failed too like in this video:

Yes, I considered the thought, but again, I was able to format c: and do a fresh windows install with the 2080 ti hooked up, but, the moment the system boots for the first time and windows is trying to install its native display adapter driver or something the screen goes black and it freezes completely.

Also, considering the case that I may have a defective HDMI port on the brand new GPU EVGA sent me shouldn't it be a reasonable case to RMA it?
    altonadavid
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 04:26:13 (permalink)
    guilhermemuck
    Adding to your question - with the 2080 TI hooked up I cannot boot to safe mode. The pc somehow gets bricked / corrupted I think.

Do you have another pc you can try the gpu in? If so and it does the same thing you know its the card, if the other computer boots you will know its not the gpu.
    DeadlyMercury
    iCX Member
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 04:28:31 (permalink)
    guilhermemuck

Also, considering the case that I may have a defective HDMI port on the brand new GPU EVGA sent me shouldn't it be a reasonable case to RMA it?

Well, in that case you will know that it is failed port -> hardware problem -> rma - not just some software bug that you can fix without sending your card and waiting for new one.

Stephen Fry
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 04:38:40 (permalink)
    altonadavid
    guilhermemuck

Do you have another pc you can try the gpu in? If so and it does the same thing you know its the card, if the other computer boots you will know its not the gpu.

+1 test in different PC

Any possibility the Card is hitting the MB & Not fully seated into the PCIe slot ?

Try DDU in safe mode

MB - BIOS up to Date - latest ?

Manually set MB BIOS -  PCIe to 3.0

Try booting with 2 GPU the 1070 & the RMA card

guilhermemuck
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 05:29:34 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    altonadavid
    guilhermemuck

+1 test in different PC

Any possibility the Card is hitting the MB & Not fully seated into the PCIe slot ?

Try in safe mode

Yes, I am sure the card is fully seated in the slot.

I can't boot to safe mode with the 2080 ti hooked up in the system

I will test the card in another machine today to see if it works
    DeadlyMercury

guilhermemuck

Well, in that case you will know that it is failed port -> hardware problem -> rma - not just some software bug that you can fix without sending your card and waiting for new one.

Do you think that a faulty HDMI port would make the pc crash? I will test it now to see how it goes
    DeadlyMercury
    iCX Member
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 05:53:58 (permalink)
    It was causing crash for Jay after they tried to kill card with water, so yes, it could make pc crash. Although it was displayport, nod hdmi - but who knows...

Stephen Fry
    guilhermemuck
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 06:22:58 (permalink)
    DeadlyMercury
    It was causing crash for Jay after they tried to kill card with water, so yes, it could make pc crash. Although it was displayport, nod hdmi - but who knows...

Yes, I've watched videos where defective display port cables or port were causing the pc to crash or not even post, but, the card itself has only one HDMI so...

I tried to boot it up without any HDMI cable connected to the card and the keyboard went dead as expected.

Cool GTX
    altonadavid
    guilhermemuck

+1 test in different PC

Try in safe mode

I will try to test the card to my brother's pc later today but I'm afraid the outcome will be the same.

I am uploading a video where I tested the 2080 TI hooked to a PCI Express riser to discard the chance of a faulty installation to my motherboard's PCI-E slot, and the problem was there.

I managed to boot to windows once and after a few seconds it goes black again. In my little experience it is when windows tries to install the display drivers to the card.

I even considered the chance of trying a Linux boot to see if the problem happens again, but, I have no experience using Linux whatsoever.

As soon as the upload to google drive is finished I will post the videos here.
    guilhermemuck
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 06:45:31 (permalink)
    Here is the testing with the Riser

drive.google.com/file/d/18gAayeOPtSJEJPvrSkQ-s4ZaVXyKPGdf/view?usp=sharing

AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6681
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 08:02:50 (permalink)
    All I can think of is are the pci-e power connections fully seated? Are any wires pulled out on the backside of the connector? On both sides of the cable even to the psu?

Have you tried draining all power from the system and then switch to a different bios on the card?

Is the setting in the mb bios for fast boot off?

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
    Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
    G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
    EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
    34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
    Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    guilhermemuck
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 09:29:22 (permalink)
    The card was tested in another machine and I got the same issue
    AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6681
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 09:59:42 (permalink)
    Try setting the cards bios from normal to oc bios? The little switch next the left of the power connections?

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
    Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
    G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
    EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
    34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
    Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 11:03:38 (permalink)
    guilhermemuck

Time to rma again. 

Possible fix for red light issue... https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3001936
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 12:33:49 (permalink)
    AHowes
    Try setting the cards bios from normal to oc bios? The little switch next the left of the power connections?

+1 can hurt to try the Second BIOS 

guilhermemuck

Test the second BIOS - as AHowes mentioned if that does not work ....  Sorry to say that it is the card

Contact EVGA ... see if they will help with the RMA return

Point them to this Thread, so they can see the troubleshooting that was already done

guilhermemuck
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 12:46:46 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    AHowes

+1 can hurt to try the Second BIOS 

guilhermemuck

Test the second BIOS - as AHowes mentioned if that does not work ....  Sorry to say that it is the card

Contact EVGA ... see if they will help with the RMA return

Point them to this Thread, so they can see the troubleshooting that was already done

I had tested the both BIOS, unfortunately it didn't change the result.

I tested the card in another machine and was unable to boot too.

EVGA already approved the RMA for this card.

Sajin
    guilhermemuck

Time to rma again. 

Possible fix for red light issue... https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3001936

So, at the time I followed all the steps in the thread but it didn't work, that is why I RMA'ed the 3 red lights card
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 12:48:20 (permalink)
    Oh, ok.
    guilhermemuck
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 12:50:33 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Oh, ok.

The sad part here is how unfortunate I am to get a defective card for my RMA replacement! So frustrating! And, considering the fact that I live in Brazil I know I'll have to wait a looooooong time until I get another 2080 TI...

Not that this will hurt me, but, it's not the same playing games in 4K with it then playing with my backup 1070 ti
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2019/11/15 12:54:19 (permalink)
    Yep, 1070 ti definitely isn't as good that is for sure.
    guilhermemuck
    Re: Is my 2080 TI FTW3 broken? Please help! 2020/02/14 19:50:40 (permalink)
    Just to give you guys an update I received the RMA card a few weeks ago (the rma process took more than 2 months for reasons such as end of the year / holidays season and brazilian customs that held the card for 1 month) and the new gpu is working just fine.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile