Answered2080TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID core clock drop

Author
iLLuser
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/11/07 01:15:18 (permalink)
Hey guys,

So I noticed my GPU is having these weird core clock drop when I'm playing games. I've attached a graph of core clock and GPU temp when I'm playing RDR2. Is this normal? Am I missing something in my OC settings?

Attached are my Precision X1 settings.

DeadlyMercury
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 422
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID core clock drop 2019/11/07 01:28:25 (permalink)
You should check gpu load too. Maybe clock drops only when there is no job for gpu and it is waiting for cpu. 

"An original idea. That can't be too hard. The library must be full of them."
Stephen Fry
JME321
  • Total Posts : 83
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID core clock drop 2019/11/07 01:29:24 (permalink)
Hello that normal is how nvidia use turbo bosst 4.0 after 40c or 50c it start decrease by 15 hmz the core cpu cooler the card are the fasted will be turbo boost 4.0 will be even power target can do this when you reached the max off it

post edited by JME321 - 2019/11/07 02:13:10
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID core clock drop 2019/11/07 17:10:50 (permalink)
You should try enabling boost lock or locking your clocks with msi afterburner along with enabling max performance mode inside the nvidia control panel.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31001
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID core clock drop 2019/11/07 17:21:09 (permalink)
Run GPU-Z to identify what is the performance reason ---> "PerfCap Reason"

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID core clock drop 2019/11/07 17:24:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby iLLuser 2019/11/10 10:27:55
is this only happening in RDR2? The game sounds like it is having major issues. What is your system setup and how is your COU reacting during these drops?

This is not a “normal” GPU boost 4.0 behavior as mentioned above. The core frequency spikes down and then back up rather than settling down one bin at a time.. 15mhz is not the same as a 100+ mhz plummet for >1 sec and then right back to level.

Please use a good monitoring software to monitor the CPU and see if it is having any adverse or strange drops in clocks or utilization issues.
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5004
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID core clock drop 2019/11/07 17:25:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby iLLuser 2019/11/10 10:27:57
That's crazy, you're running right into thermal limit at 88C and even before that the card is reducing boost clock by massive amounts.  To be running +115 on a FTW3 and only be getting 1940mhz means Boost 4.0 is taking out like 200-300mhz of clock due to the high temps.  Are you sure the radiator fan and pump are actually running? Is it getting air?  Is the fan curve actually working or is the rad fan sitting at 800rpm under load - try clicking the blue auto fan button on the main page?   Something is seriously wrong.
post edited by kevinc313 - 2019/11/07 17:38:07
iLLuser
Re: 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID core clock drop 2019/11/08 08:22:35 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one
is this only happening in RDR2? The game sounds like it is having major issues. What is your system setup and how is your COU reacting during these drops?

This is not a “normal” GPU boost 4.0 behavior as mentioned above. The core frequency spikes down and then back up rather than settling down one bin at a time.. 15mhz is not the same as a 100+ mhz plummet for >1 sec and then right back to level.

Please use a good monitoring software to monitor the CPU and see if it is having any adverse or strange drops in clocks or utilization issues.

Here's my setup. The issue seems to happen in every game I play. If you meant CPU, it's stable at 5MHz even when the GPU core clock drops.

kevinc313
That's crazy, you're running right into thermal limit at 88C and even before that the card is reducing boost clock by massive amounts.  To be running +115 on a FTW3 and only be getting 1940mhz means Boost 4.0 is taking out like 200-300mhz of clock due to the high temps.  Are you sure the radiator fan and pump are actually running? Is it getting air?  Is the fan curve actually working or is the rad fan sitting at 800rpm under load - try clicking the blue auto fan button on the main page?   Something is seriously wrong.

Fan and rad are the first things I checked when I realized there's clock drop. The fan works in both manual mode and auto mode with the fan curve. One of the rad hose is hotter than the other so I assume the rad is working as well. 

I ran the Kombuster at 2k for around 1 hour yesterday. The core clock stayed at 2010Mhz for maybe 1 or 2 mins and then gradually dropped to between 1850 and 1900Mhz but no huge drops as I showed in the graph. However, the temp never exceed 70 degree. Then I ran RDR2 again with the boost clock enabled for half hour. Same core clock drop, same 3-4 mins interval between drops and same temp spike.

Do you think it's something to do with the silicon or it's simply just a bad card/rad/fan? 
AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6681
  • Ribbons : 27
Re: 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID core clock drop 2019/11/08 08:30:21 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby iLLuser 2019/11/10 10:27:31
Can you control the rad fan now? Was something one couldnt do before.

I'd move the rad fan connection to the mb and have it at 100%. Run the tests again.

Nuts to see a hybrid that hot.

Fan blowing in or out the case? Hot room? Air flow in the case?

Hot CPU heatsink pumping hot air into the rad?

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID core clock drop 2019/11/08 09:05:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby iLLuser 2019/11/10 10:27:25
iLLuser
the_Scarlet_one

Here's my setup. The issue seems to happen in every game I play. If you meant CPU, it's stable at 5MHz even when the GPU core clock drops.

kevinc313

Fan and rad are the first things I checked when I realized there's clock drop. The fan works in both manual mode and auto mode with the fan curve. One of the rad hose is hotter than the other so I assume the rad is working as well. 

I ran the Kombuster at 2k for around 1 hour yesterday. The core clock stayed at 2010Mhz for maybe 1 or 2 mins and then gradually dropped to between 1850 and 1900Mhz but no huge drops as I showed in the graph. However, the temp never exceed 70 degree. Then I ran RDR2 again with the boost clock enabled for half hour. Same core clock drop, same 3-4 mins interval between drops and same temp spike.

Do you think it's something to do with the silicon or it's simply just a bad card/rad/fan? 

Well you are definitely loading it up to the point of ramming the temp limit, which is horrible.

1440/144 in RDR2 should fully load the card so it needs to have GOOD cooling that is working.  

Obviously, reducing power limit until you can figure out what's wrong with your cooling is a good idea.

Please post a high res picture of your computer internals.  

Is your radiator oriented with the hoses on the bottom, so you're not drawing air into the pump?

If you're sure the rad fan is running 100% and is set up properly, I'm going to guess that you've got bad TIM.

post edited by kevinc313 - 2019/11/08 09:12:22
iLLuser
Re: 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID core clock drop 2019/11/10 10:34:33 (permalink)
Think I found the cause. Seems like the rad fan is pulling to much power from the card. the harder the fan blows, the higher the temp. As soon as I connect the rad fan to the mb, the temp spike's gone and it stays below 60 degree, which I believe is a reasonable temp for the hybrid card? Correct me if I'm wrong. But still the core clock is not staying above the 2000Mhz line with a +125 overclock. Is that just how the Boost 4.0 works?

Here's my PC setup if you are interested. I know it's a really tight fit cause I built it for my old 1080. Didn't realize 2080ti's that big till I get it lol. Big thanks to everyone.

DeadlyMercury
iCX Member
Re: 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID core clock drop 2019/11/10 10:38:41 (permalink)
Or maybe your fan was on low speeds...

Stephen Fry
iLLuser
Re: 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID core clock drop 2019/11/10 10:57:49 (permalink)
DeadlyMercury
Or maybe your fan was on low speeds...

That was my initial guess. After playing around with the fan setting, I realized that when the rad fan is connected to the GPU, the temp gets higher when the fan speed is higher. I can hear the high fan speed when the temp gets higher. Then I connected the fan to the MB and ran it with the same fan curve, the temp stayed below 60 degree.

It's still kinda weird to me that since it's designed to have the rad fan connected to the card, the fan should help with cooling the card instead of making it worse right?
post edited by iLLuser - 2019/11/10 11:00:33
xTemon
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 376
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID core clock drop 2019/11/10 14:34:17 (permalink)
That's because your GPU is hitting the Temperature wall. That window you show in there, where the line goes across and drops to the floor. Compare that with your GPU peak temp which is paired with your clock drops..

You're basically running that thing up to max temp, clock dropping, temp drops, then you run up to max, and the clock drops again. 

It's saving your card

I'm not sure what your system setup is, but you might have a serious problem with cooling, or you might be pushing it too hard with an OC. You shouldn't be hitting 90+ or 85+. Looks like your wall is around 87

What you should do, is default the card in X1, so it goes back to stock, (wipe any profiles), and reboot, then see what kind of temps you are running in windows. Check your room ambient temp so you have something to compare against. If you have a WC loop on the GPU, (and iirc this is a hybrid, so it's air and water), then make sure there are no kinks or tight bends in the tubes, check your rad to see if it's clear of dust, etc... 

You can also check to make sure your system is getting good airflow, and that goes for Rads as well, and then compare the temp between the GPU itself, and the memory on the card. Those cards are I think air cooled on memory, and WC on GPU, so while you might see a difference anyway, it probably won't be anything major. If your GPU is a hot spot and the memory is cool, it might indicate a problem with your Pump or Rad. 

Last thing I would do is Scan for an OC, and let the card find something using Precision, then see how that performs. 

Actually, seeing your build there above my post, I'd say pull the fan on top that's right in front of your Rad. It's pulling and your Rad is pulling from the same area. So you've basically got 2 fans pushing out through the front Rad, or pulling if you switched them, (I did), 2 fans exhausting out the top, and your GPU fan exhausting out through your Rad. It's a negative pressure system as far as I can see, and the top fans are not pushing air through a Rad, while your GPU fan is.

Anyway, I'd fix that. It's a very close fit for everything in that chassis, and whatever air is entering is going to be entering through every crack and hole in it, sucking dust in at the same time. Mostly, that would be the bottom if it's ventilated, which will cool your GPUs memory at least. I would consider swapping your CLC fans to pull, intaking air instead of exhaust, leave your GPU on Push, and get rid of that top fan in front of it. If you've got the holes on the top of your chassis, swap the top front fan to a larger fan and make it an exhaust, then put some mesh or something over the old top rear fan hole to restrict airflow there. Tape it down from the top under the grill, or something, (even a bit of crazy glue dabbed on the mesh at the corners and put on the top over the fan hole would work).

And when you can, I'd suggest moving to a new chassis with some more room in it and better airflow. I have the Corsair Air 540 and it works almost perfectly for my system. I won't say I love it, but I like it. Keeps the PSU and SSDs out of the main component area, and gives me good airflow.

I use a Pull configuration on the CLC because it brings air in from the room, rather than pulling it from the inside of the chassis, and my CPU rarely hits 50C Most of the time it's 32, so the air going through it is barely adjustment from room temp. Exhaust on two top fans, (I got rid of all the original case fans except the rear fan), and exhaust on the rear fan. PSU is in the second compartment and pretty much draws from outside and exhausts independent of the rest of the system. 
AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6681
  • Ribbons : 27
Re: 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID core clock drop 2019/11/10 17:11:40 (permalink)
Just take the rad fan off and place it on the other side of the rad with the label facing the rad so its sucking cooler air into the case threw the rad. Then it will be pulled out the top fans.

Rads like the CPU one you have installed should be setup so there pulling in cool air from outside threw the rad and dumping into the case.

So case/fan/radiator.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID core clock drop 2019/11/10 18:00:46 (permalink)
iLLuser
Think I found the cause. Seems like the rad fan is pulling to much power from the card. the harder the fan blows, the higher the temp. As soon as I connect the rad fan to the mb, the temp spike's gone and it stays below 60 degree, which I believe is a reasonable temp for the hybrid card? Correct me if I'm wrong. But still the core clock is not staying above the 2000Mhz line with a +125 overclock. Is that just how the Boost 4.0 works?

Here's my PC setup if you are interested. I know it's a really tight fit cause I built it for my old 1080. Didn't realize 2080ti's that big till I get it lol. Big thanks to everyone.

Your card should clock to about 2100mhz at a sub 30C temp with the right type of light load, on just the stock clocks.  Try the splash screen on this website:

https://www.ontvtonight.com/

With temps in the 50's and a reasonably high load and stock clocks, the card should clock to around 2055mhz (three 15mhz steps, one step per 10C) if everything is ok, so something else is going on for you to only get 1995mhz (four more steps down).  I think the boost clock and OC settings you're adding in X1 either isn't actually being applied, or somehow it is kicking out and defaulting to stock clocks/settings without crashing the application you're trying to run.  +125 (actually +120, 15mhz increments) should give a clock of 2220mhz below 30C with moderate load, which might be enough to make the card reset OC settings. Under full load with +120 and a temp in the 50's your clocks should be about 2175mhz, if its actually stable, it easily may not be. So you're like 12 steps down if your OC is actually being applied.

Your temps look good for a card operating at stock clocks and power levels with your fan config, and unrealistically low for max power and an OC.  I'm pretty sure X1 isn't doing anything.  However, the fact that you're hitting precisely the 88C OC temp limit doesn't support that theory.

It may be possible that without the bump to the power limit and core voltage limits that you would normally apply taking effect, the card can't maintain the target clocks when under load, hence the extra steps of downclock?  Just a guess.

I'd wipe X1 and install MSI Afterburner.  The single fan slider will control both fans simultaneously as a percentage.

You'll get better cooling regardless if you move the hybrid rad to a front middle intake push fan and the cpu aio to top mount exhaust.  Push pull fans on the hybrid rad if you can fit them.

You're also on the hairy edge of PSU use with that 650w unit especially if you're pushing the CPU and GPU hard simultaneously with 5 fans, 2 pumps, 2 HDD's, 2 SDD's.  Try unplugging your HDD's and use a GPU load that has low CPU load.

post edited by kevinc313 - 2019/11/10 21:49:34
DeadlyMercury
iCX Member
Re: 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID core clock drop 2019/11/10 22:10:33 (permalink)
iLLuser

That was my initial guess. After playing around with the fan setting, I realized that when the rad fan is connected to the GPU, the temp gets higher when the fan speed is higher. I can hear the high fan speed when the temp gets higher. Then I connected the fan to the MB and ran it with the same fan curve, the temp stayed below 60 degree.

It's still kinda weird to me that since it's designed to have the rad fan connected to the card, the fan should help with cooling the card instead of making it worse right?

The thing is that maybe your rad fan was running low all the time, but when card reached 88C - bios kicked fan to 100% as overheat protection.
For example, I had a bug with x1 software and fan curves: every time x1 updates fan speed - actually fan stops, so using fan curve via x1 means that fan turns off every second or running with speed about 300rpm.

Stephen Fry
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID core clock drop 2019/11/13 07:28:06 (permalink)
Bump - dying to know what was causing this.
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID core clock drop 2019/11/13 08:26:30 (permalink)
kevinc313

It could be software based since Nvidia just released a new driver for this game that resolved some issues.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
DeadlyMercury
iCX Member
Re: 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID core clock drop 2019/11/13 09:31:29 (permalink)
Well, TS said that he just connected rad to motherboard and problem is gone.
My guess that he used manual fan curve and faced same bug that I did: every time time fan speed updates - fans actually turns off and start up again from 0% to needed. That means that average fan RPM is very low and gpu is overheating like hell.

Stephen Fry
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID core clock drop 2019/11/13 09:38:16 (permalink)
DeadlyMercury
Well, TS said that he just connected rad to motherboard and problem is gone.
My guess that he used manual fan curve and faced same bug that I did: every time time fan speed updates - fans actually turns off and start up again from 0% to needed. That means that average fan RPM is very low and gpu is overheating like hell.

That's crazy, thanks for clarifying.
DeadlyMercury
iCX Member
Re: 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID core clock drop 2019/11/14 05:29:08 (permalink)
btw I can see proof that TS faced that bug: 1st of all - manual fan curve is enabled, 2nd - rad fan is set to 65%, but actual RPM is 800, and that is 40%: it must be about 1300.
There is X1 screenshots in 1st message I missed before :)

I recorded that behaviour once for evga support and used mic to check actual fan RPM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h602HsYw8sI

Timeline:
00:00 - 03:35: I am running fan on auto and warming up card with OC test - no issues here, fan never stops or something, you can confirm that by RPM values and fan sound. So fan react to temperature and spin up or slow down correctly. 
03:35 - 06:38: I am running manual (fixed RPM mode) - and there is issue: every time I press "apply" to change fan speed (even it is VRM fan) - radiator fan (FAN2) actually turns off and drops RPM to zero and only after that it starts slowly speed up. For example, at 5:10 I am changing fan from 100% to 80%: but it actually turns off and it takes 25 seconds to reaches 80% after I pressed "apply". Same for next test from 80% to 90%.
06:38 - 11:10: I am using fan curve, but there is an issue: every time fan speed updates (based on "fan speed update period" - FAN2 actually turns off so on default settings it turns off every second (7:23-7:50). I changing update period - and that affect how often fan turns off. At 9:30 I am starting another OC test to heat up GPU with next settings: update period - 30s, fan curve is flat: under 50C - 40%, above 50C - 70%. 10:00 - GPU reached 50C and fan settings changed, but FAN2 turning off every 30 seconds.
11:10 - 14:10: auto (bios controlled) again - and again there is no issues like it were on 1st part of video.

post edited by DeadlyMercury - 2019/11/14 05:31:13

Stephen Fry
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31001
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID core clock drop 2019/11/14 05:36:52 (permalink)
kevinc313

Your Post alone was enough to "Elevate this thread" ---> please refrain from using "Bump" on the EVGA Forums

I'd venture to guess it is Boost 4.0 at work - if the fan is taken Off the Card - then the fan's load is taken off the card = More Available Power for GPU

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile