EVGA

Helpful ReplyRMA two cards at once?

Author
evilhubsway
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/11/06 04:55:12 (permalink)
Hi all, so last week one of my 1080ti died on me..i have a rma authorization for it, Today i finally get time to arrange shipping and steal the 1080 from my girlfriends little used pc to put in its place for now..its not actually stealing i paid for it! lol, installed the 1080 and had a quick blast of crossout..long story short the card seemed to get quite hot while making a lot of fan noise, thought maybe i had unplugged a case fan or something accidentally so had a look..everything is normal other than the right fan on the gpu is not spinning, then it starts kinda twitching back and forwards!? Tried all the usual fixes like ddu, reinstalling the card, sometimes it seems normal when i boot up then it ramps up one fan and the other becomes erratic..after a hour of messing around im quite sure its the card, did a google in case i had missed something and i find lots of talk about bad fan controllers on this model. If i have to get a rma could i send both the cards at once to save on shipping costs? Also any advice on the fan issue would be greatly appreciated before i start a possibly unnecessary rma.

Thanks for any help/advice.   
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30975
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: RMA two cards at once? 2019/11/06 05:54:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby evilhubsway 2019/11/06 06:30:17
Each card Needs its own RMA ---> Can you ship them together with Both RMA on the outside Box ? ---> will it actually save you shipping cost ?

1) Contact EVGA CS ---> to see it EVGA RMA department can accommodate that request
     2) Using a shipping calculator to determine if the large box is actually cheaper than 2 smaller boxes

The Bigger Question ???????

Why did a previously Working GPU suddenly have issues after you moved it into the MB that your other card went Bad In ? 

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

evilhubsway
Re: RMA two cards at once? 2019/11/06 06:27:21 (permalink)
Thanks for the reply, yes its cheaper..i can fit two boxed in one large box for 1 euro more.. saving quite a bit as i live in Ireland. 

To your other point it appears the card was like this before i moved it and its a coincidence..unless you think my motherboard has a fault that only effects evga cards? i had a old 7970 in it running fine until today..swapped back and its fine still, i wouldn't have put the 1080 in without testing something cheaper on the board first.. now im worried as i was going to get another of my 1080ti from my sim rig to use in this machine as the 1080 could be bad. I have other cards to test the board with just not to hand at the moment. And the 1080 has the same issue back in the other system although i guess that's not much help. 
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30975
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: RMA two cards at once? 2019/11/06 06:46:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby evilhubsway 2019/11/06 11:04:05
Have you tried OC software to set a static fan RPM ?

Run GPU-Z to see what the card is doing

Part number of your Card is ?

Room Temp ? [Because GPU temp is relative to room & inside case temps]

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: RMA two cards at once? 2019/11/06 06:46:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby evilhubsway 2019/11/06 11:03:57
Which model 1080 is it? It seems strange the fan would twitch occasionally if it wasn’t working. Usually the twitch is the system verifying the fan is connected.

If you have overclocking software, some models of the card have separate fan controls for each fan. It should only take a few minutes to install precision and set the fan to 100% or 50% just to see how it behaves with direct voltage. (Cool GTX ghosted me)

If nothing else, it will also answer the question.

Putting both cards into one box definitely makes sense, just make sure you attach the RMA labels to the box for their respective card so that there isn’t confusion once they are out of the big shipping box at the RMA facility.
Propian
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: RMA two cards at once? 2019/11/06 08:52:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby evilhubsway 2019/11/06 11:04:23
Hi evilhubsway,

If you do ship both of your cards in one package then I would make sure your courier offers enough insurance cover just in case of damage or loss in transit.
The value of that package will be quite high with a 1080 and 1080 Ti in there.

EVGATech_DanielM
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 1132
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: RMA two cards at once? 2019/11/06 10:56:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby evilhubsway 2019/11/06 11:04:15
We typically don't recommend this as if the package gets lost in transit you are out two cards and a long investigation process. In the event you choose to do this, please mark each unit with it's respective RMA number. 
evilhubsway
Re: RMA two cards at once? 2019/11/06 11:03:05 (permalink)
Thanks for the reply's lads. The part number is 08G-P4-6183-KR  Yeah i tried setting a static fan speed..with precision and afterburner, no difference sadly..the funky fan almost spins at full speed but in reverse..then will stop and go back the other way..then sit still for a while..rinse repeat, i thought i had solved it earlier..not sure how lol but after a while it started roaring away on one fan nothing on the other, sometimes they both spin on boot sometimes only the one fan. Everything looked normal on gpu-z and it works fine other than being noisy and hot and no fan speed reading..i have never heard such a small fan make that much noise! The card is staying under 80 with a room temp of mid 60's and the fans set at 100%.. currently in a mb/cpu watercooled tj07 case..its got a nice environment but only one fan turning most of the time! it idles fine on auto and sounds fine..just heavy load/heat that makes it max out the fan. I just came back from a friends place and its doing the same on his linux machine. Going to put another card in now and then a ti aorus as a test if things seem okay..fingers crossed lol. 
evilhubsway
Re: RMA two cards at once? 2019/11/06 11:08:06 (permalink)
Propian
Hi evilhubsway,

If you do ship both of your cards in one package then I would make sure your courier offers enough insurance cover just in case of damage or loss in transit.
The value of that package will be quite high with a 1080 and 1080 Ti in there.

Hi Propian, you make a good point about insurance, thanks for the heads up..it actually works out even cheaper for the correct coverage in a single parcel rather than two.
Propian
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: RMA two cards at once? 2019/11/07 03:06:36 (permalink)

That's good to hear, a lot of people don't bother paying the little bit extra for the insurance and then regret it when the parcel gets lost and they can't make a claim.
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile