Watercooling loop order?

Author
flyinion
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2275
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 8
2019/10/29 09:45:24 (permalink)
No it's not the usual GPU vs CPU.  I know that's really a non issue.  I was watching LTT's latest video cause I wanted to see the new Corsair hydro X stuff in a build and he did a loop order thing that really confused me.  He went res > cpu > rad > gpu > res.  I thought you were always supposed to go from a rad back to the res so the pump had cool water both for it and to send out into the system again.  Does that really not matter?  In my own loop which is res > GPU > CPU > rad > res the side coming out of the CPU can get much warmer than the side coming out of the rad, though I guess if I had the rad in the middle it would probably even out.  Anyway I guess I'm just curious if it's ok to go from a component putting out heat back to the res/pump or if you're supposed to go through a rad first.

AMD Ryzen 5950X | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK Vector2 | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | WD SN850 2TB | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB & 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | SteelSeries Arctis Pro + GameDAC | Kanto YU2 + Yamaha sub | Schiit Magni 2 Uber & Modi 2 Uber | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro | Custom water loop

8 Replies Related Threads

Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 17474
    • Ribbons : 61
    Re: Watercooling loop order? 2019/10/29 10:38:23 (permalink)
    I dont' think it matters.  I just want the res before any component to make sure no air bubbles go back in to the system.    Putting the res and rad before the CPU can cool it.   I prefer CPU cooling before GPU.    I find I can always get better overclocks off the CPU than GPU.   But it's whatever.   

You also could put a splitter so that it goes    Radiator - res, splitter (gpu and cpu)   Splitter, back to res.     You get cooler water to both cpu and gpu.  Ideally, though, gpu and cpu should be on seperate loops with seperate radiators. 

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger" 
    Affiliate Code XZUMV9TJW5
    Associate Code: 7PM43CU71IB2IAP
    education may be expensive but wait until you get the bill for ignorance
    A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Watercooling loop order? 2019/10/29 10:51:30 (permalink)
    NO - Is the general rule .... if you run the loop long enough it does Not Matter ...

1) short sprint - chasing records the loop is not up to temp - order may make a bigger impact

2) The heat picked-up from one device can make the coolant warmer as it goes to the next device 

So, because the GPU is more sensitive to performance drop - based on Temp - I like to cool them before the CPU adds its thermal load to the coolant

Mine goes: Reservoir, pump, Rad1, GPUs, CPU, Rad2

If my CPU runs 5-10 C warmer after the GPUs - it does Not impact performance of the system

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

flyinion
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2275
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Watercooling loop order? 2019/10/29 11:23:03 (permalink)
    Thanks guys, well now I know I have more routing options if needed then when I do my case move.  

AMD Ryzen 5950X | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK Vector2 | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | WD SN850 2TB | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB & 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | SteelSeries Arctis Pro + GameDAC | Kanto YU2 + Yamaha sub | Schiit Magni 2 Uber & Modi 2 Uber | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro | Custom water loop
    bp7178
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 373
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Watercooling loop order? 2019/10/29 12:17:22 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    NO - Is the general rule .... if you run the loop long enough it does Not Matter ...

1) short sprint - chasing records the loop is not up to temp - order may make a bigger impact

2) The heat picked-up from one device can make the coolant warmer as it goes to the next device 

So, because the GPU is more sensitive to performance drop - based on Temp - I like to cool them before the CPU adds its thermal load to the coolant

If my CPU runs 5-10 C warmer after the GPUs - it does Not impact performance of the system

Have you validated any of this? 
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11083
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Watercooling loop order? 2019/10/29 14:23:08 (permalink)
    I go from the pump to the CPU to a rad. to the GPU to a rad. back to the pump. 
    Seems to work fine for me. Everything goes through a rad. before the component to be as cool as possible. 
    I like to do that because the CPU temp is important to me, running BOINC with the CPU at 100% load I want it cool, no heat from the GPU.
    Often they are both at 100% load, so no heat from one bothering the other.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Watercooling loop order? 2019/10/29 14:24:46 (permalink)
    bp7178
    Cool GTX

Have you validated any of this? 

@bp7178,       RE: Validation Response

I have not Run my IQ, OQ & PQ .... still waiting for Document Control to release the management approved / signed documents & then the opening in the production schedule to execute said validation

The engineering experiments have persisted though this delay & the results of increased PPD look exceptionally promising

I've run more than a few tests, On My Rigs [see signature for links to 3 of them]

Why do you ask ?

When OC GPUs as small as 5C - 10 C increase in temps can make a difference in Max MHz ---> because of Nvidia Boost step-downs

My CPUs even when benching, are never near their Max temps - So for me, in My Rigs --> they do not need the coolest coolant

I've Manage Over 3 Billion Points since 01 March 2019 - Folding on my GPUs  [this screen capture was 4 days ago - Now @ 3,056,974,212]

(9,651,733,584 since starting Folding at Home ~38 Months ago)   https://www.evga.com/folding/ (for current Points)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 17474
    • Ribbons : 61
    Re: Watercooling loop order? 2019/10/29 15:16:12 (permalink)
    he is just helping you to reach 18,000 posts 

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger" 
    Affiliate Code XZUMV9TJW5
    Associate Code: 7PM43CU71IB2IAP
    education may be expensive but wait until you get the bill for ignorance
    A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
    docta_tucka
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 361
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Watercooling loop order? 2019/11/14 18:22:38 (permalink)
    I do Res>pump>rad>cpu>rad>gpu>rad>gpu>rad>gpu>rad>res.  I need more radiators to mount fans on so I can see more pretty flashing fan lights.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile