EVGA

Beta/Test Driver for Win10 to fix cracking noise issues

Author
EVGA_Lee
  • Total Posts : 4247
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 14
2019/10/28 10:35:20 (permalink)
Here's a test driver for any of you to try, if you want.  It will update the driver and FW for the card.

This driver should fix cracking when changing the volume for all outputs:  https://cdn.evga.com/nuaudiocard/EVGA%20NU%20Audio_0.2.1.1_WIN10dbg.exe

For a handful of people that tried a previous beta driver, this also fixes a couple of the known issues with that version that I told you about.

- Notes about other issues:
  • Nahimic updates are not included in this driver.  Expectation is that we'll have a final driver with Nahimic updates for various issues next week.
  • "No change and/or distortion when setting EQ values to a + value" - This isn't actually a bug.  This is a built in overpower protection when master volume is set to 100%.  Simply lower master volume a little, and you should be able to adjust EQ and notice a difference.
  • Crash at startup for the NU Audio Software - There's no specific fix for that in this driver, but it does create a log every time that it closes or you manually close it.  Please send me a PM if you want to send me a log, and I can forward it to our team.  The log is located at C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\EVGA\NUA
Please let me know if you run into any issues.

18 Replies Related Threads

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Beta/Test Driver for Win10 to fix cracking noise issues 2019/10/28 11:42:39 (permalink)

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    The_Professor
    • Total Posts : 56
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Beta/Test Driver for Win10 to fix cracking noise issues 2019/10/29 10:31:31 (permalink)
    Hi LeeM,

want you are doing  you bring the crackle back to my card. Before i got the unoffiziell version from you, with FW 0.2D everything fine. Now i want to test, this also, because we are an commnuity here. But the crackle is back, like before! Also my card i now more silent with 0.2F
    With 0.2D the card was much louder, not sure, if you want this, but is was. Whats now happen 

EVGA_Lee
    Re: Beta/Test Driver for Win10 to fix cracking noise issues 2019/10/29 10:34:52 (permalink)
    The_Professor
    Hi LeeM,

want you are doing  you bring the crackle back to my card. Before i got the unoffiziell version from you, with FW 0.2D everything fine. Now i want to test, this also, because we are an commnuity here. But the crackle is back, like before! Also my card i now more silent with 0.2F
    With 0.2D the card was much louder, not sure, if you want this, but is was. Whats now happen 

Hmm.  I'll check with the team on this.  Obviously, that's not an expected outcome. 

If it's quieter, I'd suggest doing a complete shutdown, including turning the power supply off.  Let it sit there for a couple minutes, then turn the PSU back on and the system on.  It might just be the amp needing to be reset.
    The_Professor
    Re: Beta/Test Driver for Win10 to fix cracking noise issues 2019/10/29 10:55:41 (permalink)
    Hi Leem,

so PSU off for 10min doesnt help :( 
    I have also the feeling its much more buggy than the last offical driver. Are you able to tell me, how i can downgrade the firmware on my card? Think 0.2D will work fine again. i saved the 0.2D bin file from the installation folder.

With 0.2D AMP 100% - 10% General really nice good and loud sound
    With 0.2F AMP 100% and i have to turn the general sound to 30%
    post edited by The_Professor - 2019/10/29 11:07:23
    EVGA_Lee
    Re: Beta/Test Driver for Win10 to fix cracking noise issues 2019/10/29 11:13:30 (permalink)
    Try to reinstall the old driver and see if the firmware lets you update that way.  If not, I think I have a way to flash back to an older firmware, then you would just install a newer driver over it.  It just might take me a little while to find it.
    The_Professor
    Re: Beta/Test Driver for Win10 to fix cracking noise issues 2019/10/29 11:15:58 (permalink)
    Installing the old driver, wont change the firmware back to 0.2D. Still on 0.2F.
    Try this before you write this. Thats the reason, why im asking if there is any way :)
    post edited by The_Professor - 2019/10/29 11:18:26
    Stheeo
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: Beta/Test Driver for Win10 to fix cracking noise issues 2019/10/31 02:23:22 (permalink)
    This works great for me, no crackling when changing volume and I haven't noticed any other issues. I used to get the crash on startup, but managed to get rid of it in a weird, roundabout way (see my post #34 in the "NUA Crash at Startup" thread) and now I can't reproduce it anymore.

Edit: I can't make links here for some reason, it looks correct in the post preview buit when i actually post the message, the link just isn't there.
    post edited by Stheeo - 2019/10/31 02:27:53
    The_Professor
    Re: Beta/Test Driver for Win10 to fix cracking noise issues 2019/10/31 04:15:16 (permalink)
    Interesting that it helps you Stheeo. Not sure, if i was the only with with FW 0.2D, but when you got this, all other seems like weird. Different revions of this card availible? 
    When you bought you card?

Because 0.2.0.9 and this beta are crap for me. 
    Stheeo
    Re: Beta/Test Driver for Win10 to fix cracking noise issues 2019/10/31 05:04:31 (permalink)
    The_Professor
    Interesting that it helps you Stheeo. Not sure, if i was the only with with FW 0.2D, but when you got this, all other seems like weird. Different revions of this card availible? 
    When you bought you card?

Because 0.2.0.9 and this beta are crap for me. 

Yeah, very strange that we seem to have completely different experiences. I bought my card in july from a local store. However I never had crackling when changing the volume, sorry if I was unclear about that. I just wanted to confirm that this FW/Driver works without issues for me.
    The_Professor
    Re: Beta/Test Driver for Win10 to fix cracking noise issues 2019/10/31 05:06:11 (permalink)
    Interesting that you never had this crackle, but it seems, that not everyone got this. I bought my card in September, in germany. Maybe germany got other batches e.g.
    Driver itself works also at my side, but the FW brings that crackle at volume change back.
    Stheeo
    Re: Beta/Test Driver for Win10 to fix cracking noise issues 2019/10/31 05:26:15 (permalink)
    Mine was bought in Sweden, so I would be surprised if they were different batches, but I guess it's possible.
    kaishiden
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Beta/Test Driver for Win10 to fix cracking noise issues 2019/10/31 09:34:33 (permalink)
    Link is dead
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Beta/Test Driver for Win10 to fix cracking noise issues 2019/10/31 10:44:31 (permalink)
    kaishiden
    Link is dead

Works fine for me.

RadioHorst
    • Total Posts : 29
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Beta/Test Driver for Win10 to fix cracking noise issues 2019/10/31 11:10:12 (permalink)
    @The_Professor: 
    I bought my card this month at Amazon Germany and i had never cracking noises . I use SW 0207 and FW 02B. 
    Do you have test the card in a second computer ? Error search by exclusion is a good thing ;-). Or maybe you will use our germans 6 month "Gewährleistung" (warranty) with eversal of the burden of proof (Beweislastumkehr) in the first 6 month after buying and request for an change or repair of the sound card.

@others users:
    with this update you get fw 02F too ?

Link works fine at my computer. But i don´t have install it....  Don´t  a running system ... My EQ problem can´t solve this update, i have to wait for Nahimic update

The_Professor
    Re: Beta/Test Driver for Win10 to fix cracking noise issues 2019/10/31 13:02:04 (permalink)
    RadioHorst
    @The_Professor: 
    I bought my card this month at Amazon Germany and i had never cracking noises . I use SW 0207 and FW 02B. 
    Do you have test the card in a second computer ? Error search by exclusion is a good thing ;-). Or maybe you will use our germans 6 month "Gewährleistung" (warranty) with eversal of the burden of proof (Beweislastumkehr) in the first 6 month after buying and request for an change or repair of the sound card.

@others users:
    with this update you get fw 02F too ?

Link works fine at my computer. But i don´t have install it....  Don´t  a running system ... My EQ problem can´t solve this update, i have to wait for Nahimic update

Hi und Hallo Radio Horst,

so i will write in english its better for the other member. So i got my card from Caseking, first i was thinking, the card it self got an issue, so exchange it. But both cards got the same "problem" i also bought the 10 Years warrenty from EVGA, so everything save.
    It absolutly possible, the a specific hardware configuration causes this problem. But im no the only one. I cant explain, why this is not working for me. So 0.2B bad, 0.2F sounds really similar. The non official 0.2D is really great. No crackle or similar things. 
    The instersting thing at this 0.2D firmware is also, that the volume and the strengh of the card is much higher. So i got a 600Ohm Beyerdynamic. 
    With FW 0.2B or F the AMP is at 100% and the Master volume at around 40% for powerful music.
    With 0.2D the AMP is also at 100% but the master volume is at 10% the volume like with 0.2B or F

Strange things happen to my card 

and actually no second pc availible
    RadioHorst
    • Total Posts : 29
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Beta/Test Driver for Win10 to fix cracking noise issues 2019/11/01 03:15:51 (permalink)
    @The_Professor: 
    oh thats a shame that both sound cards have the same issue.  

Maybe to test:

- use an audio software which support WASAPI or better ASIO to avoid the DSP from Nahimic/ windows mixer. I use Qobuz to hear streaming music. There u can use WASAPI and ASIO. If you have local stored music (.wav, .mp3) then you can use for example the software AIMP:  . In AIMP>Menu > Sytemeinstellungen you can choose the Output device. See Screenshot.
    What is WASAPI,ASIO ? Here a nice site how it works: 
    https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/WASAPI.htm

But note. If you use WASAPI or ASIO then you can´t use equalizer:

https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2957445

EVGATech_LeeM
    In other words, the Nahimic features that were added works, so long as the Windows DSP isn't being bypassed by ASIO or WASAPI, for example.

- other PCIe Slot
    - chipset driver 

post edited by RadioHorst - 2019/11/01 03:21:37

Attached Image(s)

Airdoo
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re: Beta/Test Driver for Win10 to fix cracking noise issues 2019/11/02 18:14:52 (permalink)
    EVGATech_LeeM

"No change and/or distortion when setting EQ values to a + value" - This isn't actually a bug.  This is a built in overpower protection when master volume is set to 100%.  Simply lower master volume a little, and you should be able to adjust EQ and notice a difference.

Is this necessary for Line Out since amplification is handled elsewhere?

On a separate note and not trying to nag too much, is there an update on the possibility of getting "negative" mic boosting so I can drop the gain on the mic input as well as other quality of life inclusions such as side tone? (ATH-AG1X seeing clipping around ~70db)
    The_Professor
    Re: Beta/Test Driver for Win10 to fix cracking noise issues 2019/11/16 08:48:31 (permalink)
    RadioHorst
    @The_Professor: 
    oh thats a shame that both sound cards have the same issue.  

Maybe to test:

- use an audio software which support WASAPI or better ASIO to avoid the DSP from Nahimic/ windows mixer. I use Qobuz to hear streaming music. There u can use WASAPI and ASIO. If you have local stored music (.wav, .mp3) then you can use for example the software AIMP:  . In AIMP>Menu > Sytemeinstellungen you can choose the Output device. See Screenshot.
    What is WASAPI,ASIO ? Here a nice site how it works: 
    https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/WASAPI.htm

But note. If you use WASAPI or ASIO then you can´t use equalizer:

https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2957445

EVGATech_LeeM
    In other words, the Nahimic features that were added works, so long as the Windows DSP isn't being bypassed by ASIO or WASAPI, for example.

- other PCIe Slot
    - chipset driver 

I now try AIMP. But i never use ASIO or like this, do i have to activate something special? Because actually im not able to choose ASIO. Its not inside the list.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile