Bad RMA Experience with a GTX 1080 TI SC2

Author
HunteRetnuH
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/10/21 06:18:51 (permalink)
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has had much issue with EVGA rma service.

Over the past several weeks I had started having freezes and stutters with my 1080 ti sc2. I noticed this from the the fans being more loud than usual, and I opened up hardware monitor and shut it down - it was showing 89c. I have a good intake outtake setup so this was not the issue.

Anyway, I opened up an RMA and did some research about these cards, and there are reviews of other people being in a similar boat with this card - many finding that the cooling system doesn't do a good enough job at keeping the TI cool enough, and at search an early stage in to its life cycle, I was hesitant to receive a replacement with the same model.

However I decided to accept the proposed advanced RMA, so I paid the collateral upfront. After about 5 days I received the card, and it certainly wasn't new (which I know is in their terms and conditions) however this had scratches on the backplate, as well as a chip to the SC2 logo. Now I know mistakes can happen, but this is unacceptable and it should not have even been sent out in this condition. It's not trashed by any means, but it is not suitable to replace what was a pristine item (my card). Surely in these scenarios a new unit should be sent out? I don't want to receive some refurb unit when the card I was using was still early in its life.

Now they are asking me to go through the same process again, and I am yet to send back my original card to get my refund back on the collateral. I don't want to be going around in circles here and I feel they should be doing more to make this right. It seems that, although there are success stories for their RMA, their customer service has went downhill in the past few years.

I am disappointed in the RMA process with EVGA. I have used them for  15 years and never had to use the RMA service before.
post edited by HunteRetnuH - 2019/10/21 06:38:39

Attached Image(s)

5 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Bad RMA Experience with a GTX 1080 TI SC2 2019/10/21 07:23:42 (permalink)
    Are your Sure your original card is broken ?

"freezes and stutters" ---> is More likely an OS, Nvidia driver or Game issue

The Coolers on those cards work just fine at proper fan speeds &

- Your case fans get the Heat out of your PC Before the Heat is "recycled" back into the cards cooler

-  If the TIM is properly applied & thermal pads are where they need to be

One option is:  ---> to Move your "like new" cooler to your RMA card

As you Noted the Terms are clear about what you can expect during RMA

If you are the type that takes Great Care of your equipment --- I get being disappointed though

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

HunteRetnuH
    Re: Bad RMA Experience with a GTX 1080 TI SC2 2019/10/21 07:28:22 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Are your Sure your original card is broken ?

"freezes and stutters" ---> is More likely an OS, Nvidia driver or Game issue

The Coolers on those cards work just fine at proper fan speeds &

- Your case fans get the Heat out of your PC Before the Heat is "recycled" back into the cards cooler

-  If the TIM is properly applied & thermal pads are where they need to be

One option is to Move your "like new" cooler to your RMA card

As you Noted the Terms are clear about what you can expect during RMA

If you are the type that takes Great Care of your equipment --- I get being disappointed though

It is not a driver fault when the card is reaching 89c and climbing. Funnily enough, the cooler does a better job on the one you sent, so it will be a thermal fault on the original card.

It's not a reasonable request to suggest that I install the cooler from the new item to the RMA unit. How about take responsibility for what you are sending, instead of passing that responsibility on to the consumers? Are you saying it is OK to send out an item with scratches and chips on it?
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Bad RMA Experience with a GTX 1080 TI SC2 2019/10/21 07:47:41 (permalink)
    Dude relax, it was a Suggestion

1) I am a Volunteer Moderator --> Not an EVGA Employee

89C --> First thing I would do is Change the TIM.  Factory TIM application can sometime be - not the best   Heck even My Nvidia Titan X Pascal had a poor TIM application from the factory

If you are Not experience with this ---> best to get someone who is.  Changing coolers, TIM & Thermal Pads is Allowed & does not Void the EVGA Warranty as long as you do not "break something".

Many members have No issue doing this type of maintenance ---> Knowing your personal limits is a Good thing ...

Call EVGA CS if you Need to talk with an EVGA Employee

Contact Customer Service

Email Customer Service

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

HunteRetnuH
    Re: Bad RMA Experience with a GTX 1080 TI SC2 2019/10/21 07:49:55 (permalink)

Cool GTX
    Dude relax, it was a Suggestion

1) I am a Volunteer Moderator --> Not an EVGA Employee

89C --> First thing I would do is Change the TIM

If you are Not experience with this ---> best to get someone who is.  Changing coolers, TIM & Thermal Pads is Allowed & does not Void the EVGA Warranty as long as you do not "break something".

Many members have No issue doing this type of maintenance ---> Knowing your personal limits is a Good thing ...

Call EVGA CS if you Need to talk with an EVGA Employee

My bad I thought you were an employee.

It's a matter of principle, it's not a case of me not being comfortable with it because the fault could lead from one thing to another.

I will wait and see what they say.

Cheers

edit - removed "double quote" by Cool GTX
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2019/10/21 07:54:55
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Bad RMA Experience with a GTX 1080 TI SC2 2019/10/21 07:54:01 (permalink)
    No Worries .............. I understand - it can be frustrating when you take care of your parts. 

Mine look like New even years latter

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile