Disco Elysium

Author
spyderrico
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 371
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/10/19 09:25:02 (permalink)
Any one play this game yet?  I've been checking it out on steam and it looks pretty cool.

I'm not sure that I've ever played a top down view game before.  The reviews are coming in at Very Positive right now.

The artwork and RPG elements look appealing on this title. 

7 Replies Related Threads

boylerya
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1910
    Re: Disco Elysium 2019/10/20 00:20:04 (permalink)
    I never trust reviews as I used to and ended up wasting money on games that were actually terrible that were rated much better than games I thought were great.  Here is a perfect example of a game that received a much higher rating than it deserves: https://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/15/the-unfinished-swan-review

And yet they give Darksiders 2 a mediocre rating: https://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11/03/darksiders-2-deathinitive-edition-review

United We Stand...Six Feet Apart.
    Beware Vitamin A Palmitate found in products such as 2%, 1% or Skim Milk: government research
    Garlic is the Antichrist.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Disco Elysium 2019/10/20 02:33:53 (permalink)
    It might also be good to check out YouTube or twitch and watch an early part of the game and see if it looks like something you would enjoy. Sometimes that can tell you more then a review ever could of if it's something you would like. I generally trust reviews when several sites are the same but I always keep in mind they are based on the reviewers thoughts and they are not me.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Disco Elysium 2019/10/21 06:15:32 (permalink)
    I was wondering on this game also.... could be cool

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Disco Elysium 2019/10/21 16:24:22 (permalink)
    It's a heavy text story driven game. If you like to read dialogue this is for you. If you prefer skipping through dialog, keep away from this game. It's 80% dialogue with RNG dice roll elements with modifiers based on equipment you're wearing and the particular person you're talking to. You'll be changing clothes on your character all the time depending upon who you're talking to in game to improve odds on RNG dice rolls. You're trying to solve a murder and investigating everyone after a drug and booze induced rampage and blackout.
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2019/10/21 16:31:50
    spyderrico
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 371
    Re: Disco Elysium 2019/10/22 16:16:32 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    It's a heavy text story driven game. If you like to read dialogue this is for you. If you prefer skipping through dialog, keep away from this game. It's 80% dialogue with RNG dice roll elements with modifiers based on equipment you're wearing and the particular person you're talking to. You'll be changing clothes on your character all the time depending upon who you're talking to in game to improve odds on RNG dice rolls. You're trying to solve a murder and investigating everyone after a drug and booze induced rampage and blackout.

This sums it up well.
    I purchased the game and have spent around 27 minutes playing.  I knew it was heavy on dialogue, I guess it confirms that this style of gaming is not my cup of tea.
    I did not like the RNG dice roll deal.  I realize that 27 minutes is not giving the game a "fair shake" so I will try a bit more before requesting a refund from steam.

It looked much cooler than it actually is. 
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Disco Elysium 2019/10/22 23:39:31 (permalink)
    spyderrico
    Brad_Hawthorne

This sums it up well.
    I purchased the game and have spent around 27 minutes playing.  I knew it was heavy on dialogue, I guess it confirms that this style of gaming is not my cup of tea.
    I did not like the RNG dice roll deal.  I realize that 27 minutes is not giving the game a "fair shake" so I will try a bit more before requesting a refund from steam.

It looked much cooler than it actually is. 

For a lot of people, this sort of game is more fun to watch streamed on Twitch or a playthough on YouTube. It's more fun to watch someone else stumble though it instead of doing it myself. That being said, I've got 56 hours into the game and am powering through it. You get a few in-game days in and the storyline drops off in things to do. Right now I'm wondering what I need to do next to advance the storyline. It's slowed up about the time it should be really kicking into high gear. This is very character dialogue driven and for me that is novel up to the point of when it becomes less apparent what I need to be doing next. Some dialogue only opens up when you find hidden things and win a very RNG dice roll. That gets tedious.
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Disco Elysium 2019/10/24 22:48:39 (permalink)
    Finished up the game. It was anticlimactic end IMHO. Made all the investigation done throughout the game amount to nothing. Plus game will end with a bunch of loose plot ends. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile