EVGA X99 FTW clicking noise and reboot

Author
majinbuxl
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/10/14 08:49:32 (permalink)
Hi guys,

I have an issue that really has me scratching my head. I've had my computer for 4 years without any issues and I rarely mess with it. No overclocking either. Recently I bought a new Corsair hydro H100i cooler because the old cooler was making noise from time to time (figured a bad/old pump or something). So I took the old one out, installed the new one, plug everything back in and sure enough I can't for the life of me get a successful POST now. I keep hearing a clicking noise at regular ~1 second intervals coming from the mobo speaker and the mobo keeps restarting. I think the clicking is the restart switch or the normal start click on the mobo but something is preventing the mobo from moving past the first second or so of the boot sequence. I can see the first 3 or 4 post codes on the mobo then it clicks and the codes restart over again. 

I had found a youtube video of someone recording this exact issue (can't post links so just youtube search "EVGA X99 Classified Restart Bug" by gh0stp1rate)
His seems to stop at code 19 not sure if that means anything. I will have to check what code mine stops at. 

At first i thought it was a short somehow due to the new liquid cooling block but i tried removing it, tightening it, reinstalling it and the problem still persists. Even tried reseating the CPU and still no luck. I thought maybe one of the fans or the mobo itself was shorting on the case but i took the mobo out of the case and i still have the problem.

After like 5 hours of tinkering i was able to get the mobo to only click once and then do a successful boot by removing all the ram sticks and installing only 2 in slots 1 and 3. I am kind of thinking it has to do the with the memory sticks not making full contact somehow? Or possibly bad sticks? Wiggling the sticks gently seems to be the only thing that makes a difference. I tried using compressed air on the slots but no matter what i do i can't get a post when all 4 of my memory sticks in slots 1, 3, 5 and 7. Seems strange to me all 4 sticks worked fine before but now that i replaced the cpu cooler only 2 work?

Could it be that i need to set the right voltages in the bios? I didn't have to do this before so that I'm not sure it would make a difference. I tried clearing CMOS before and it didn't change anything.

Here are my specs:
Case: HAF X
Mobo: EVGA X99 FTW
CPU:  Intel Core i7-5930K 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i hydro
GPU(s): EVGA GTX 2080 Ti
PSU: Corsair 1000W
Memory:  CORSAIR LPX 4GB x 4 2666 MHz
Operating System:  Windows 10 Pro 64bit

post edited by majinbuxl - 2019/10/14 09:38:32

9 Replies Related Threads

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: EVGA X99 FTW clicking noise and reboot 2019/10/14 08:54:35 (permalink)
    Since you removed the old cooler and installed a new one, the first order of business is to make sure that you didn't knock any cables or cards loose and try to boot again. For cables, I'd check both the PSU side if it is modular, and the other end where it plugs into the motherboard/devices.

If after making sure every cable and card is firmly inserted doesn't work, the next step would be removing the new cooler and making sure the CPU is seated properly. Then, when you reattach the cooler make sure that you aren't torquing it down too tightly (which can cause some funky problems).
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA X99 FTW clicking noise and reboot 2019/10/14 09:20:55 (permalink)
    +1 arestavo - covered most of the issues you did not mention in your troubleshooting

The PC was unplugged & you used ground strap while removing / replacing parts ? [or at least touched ground first]

Try moving the CPU cooler to the 2nd CPU fan header

Only have Keyboard & mouse plugged into USB 2.0 ports - what happens if you do Not have KB & Mouse plugged in ? (no sound or other devices)

Have you disconnected All other drives - Except the Boot drive ? / test with spare SATA cable ?

Have you Tested the 2nd BIOS on the MB ?

I'll also add --> Seems you may have bent a pin or two under the CPU.  That would explain the RAM issue you mentioned

Could be the RAM failing a self test causing those reboots.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

majinbuxl
    Re: EVGA X99 FTW clicking noise and reboot 2019/10/14 09:55:02 (permalink)
    I tried unplugging and re-plugging the cables back in both on the mobo and on the PSU (it is modular). They were stiff as hell to get in/out but that didn't fix the issue.
    I tried re-seating the cpu like 3 times. I guess if i have a bent pin how do I know? I tried taking a picture of the socket using my phone but they are so tiny its very hard to tell. I tried blowing air on the socket too thinking maybe some old thermal paste crumbs fell in there.
    I tried loosening/tightening the cpu heatsink, didn't seem to make a difference. The screws are big enough that i can hand tighten them. How much torque is too much? I just tighten them by hand till i barely couldn't anymore. I'm assuming thats ok.

majinbuxl
    Re: EVGA X99 FTW clicking noise and reboot 2019/10/14 10:23:39 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    +1 arestavo - covered most of the issues you did not mention in your troubleshooting

The PC was unplugged & you used ground strap while removing / replacing parts ? [or at least touched ground first]

Try moving the CPU cooler to the 2nd CPU fan header

Only have Keyboard & mouse plugged into USB 2.0 ports - what happens if you do Not have KB & Mouse plugged in ? (no sound or other devices)

Have you disconnected All other drives - Except the Boot drive ? / test with spare SATA cable ?

Have you Tested the 2nd BIOS on the MB ?

I'll also add --> Seems you may have bent a pin or two under the CPU.  That would explain the RAM issue you mentioned

Could be the RAM failing a self test causing those reboots.

Yea I kind of wonder if either I forgot to ground myself or maybe I was a little rough when installing the heatsink. I didn't take out the sticks and maybe I bumped them during the install?

I tried unplugging the cpu cooler and all fans (literally just 8pin and 24 pin power remained plugged into the mobo) just to see if it would start (didn't want to overheat the cpu so I tested only like 2 seconds) and the issue is still there.

I tried switching to the other bios and it did seem to change how long it took for the restart to occur. Like instead of 1 second reboot its like 2 seconds. I kind of wonder if bios/voltages are the issue now? Could it be the ram connections have gotten worn out and may need more voltage to work properly?
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: EVGA X99 FTW clicking noise and reboot 2019/10/14 16:51:34 (permalink)
    You could try pulling out the CMOS battery, unplugging the power, then holding down the power button for 20 to 30 seconds to clear the BIOS settings.

I'm guessing that wont help since you already tried the second BIOS, so you may want to see about troubleshooting with EVGA's support folks - https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/
    majinbuxl
    Re: EVGA X99 FTW clicking noise and reboot 2019/10/14 17:11:11 (permalink)
    arestavo
    You could try pulling out the CMOS battery, unplugging the power, then holding down the power button for 20 to 30 seconds to clear the BIOS settings.

I'm guessing that wont help since you already tried the second BIOS, so you may want to see about troubleshooting with EVGA's support folks - 

Thanks will check with them too.

Not sure if this is related at all but after I got home today I was able to boot with 2 sticks again which is an improvement. Out of curiosity I checked the bios and my memory frequency was automatically set at less than 2666 mhz, something like 2440 mhz. I never messed with these settings before so maybe I've always had it like this but it didnt seem right so I changed it to xmp profile 1 which is 2666 mhz which is what my memory is rated for. Voltage was set to auto at 1.211 which is right but just in case I set it to a manual 1.211. I'm going to try installing the other 2 dimms with these bios settings and see what happens.
    majinbuxl
    Re: EVGA X99 FTW clicking noise and reboot 2019/10/14 20:03:40 (permalink)
    OK so I'm not exactly sure what did it but I fixed it! Writing this now with all 4 sticks of ram in slots 1-3-5-7!

I took a good look at the dimm slots and noticed slot 4 (which was always unused) had a tiny bit (think half a rice grain) of dry thermal paste stuck inside. No amount of compressed air would get this bit out. So i used a little hard bristle brush to break the crumb apart and scrape it off. This likely came from the hardened thermal paste that flaked off when i changed heat sinks. No idea if the stuff is even conductive but hey.
    The other dimm slots looked clean but I used the same brush on the other dimm slots for good measure. Just ran the brush through the slots a few times and used more compressed air.
    Also I had set ram voltage to 1.35 and made sure it was recognized as 2666mhz with xmp profile.
    Since i could boot with two sticks in slots 1 and 3 I tried installing another stick in slot 5, wiggled it a little bit and tried booting up with 3 total sticks installed. Worked fine.
    Then i tried installing the last stick in slot 7, wiggled it a little bit and sure enough even this one worked and the system booted again.

So my best guess is that something in the dimm slots was causing the short or the sticks were making poor contact in the slots. Either way seems to work now! Will keep my fingers crossed :)  

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA X99 FTW clicking noise and reboot 2019/10/14 20:35:44 (permalink)
    setting RAM voltage & timing Manually is Alway the Best way to Go

Glad it is back to Working for you

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: EVGA X99 FTW clicking noise and reboot 2019/10/14 21:50:50 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    setting RAM voltage & timing Manually is Alway the Best way to Go

True story..Manually setting the RAM to the manufacturers rated speed, timing and voltage is best..And if they will boot/run at a 1T/1N Command Rate (CMD), that's great, if not, then a 2T/2N or 3T/3N CMD.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile