EVGA

Changing X299 Dark Initial Display Output (i.e. which PCIe slot to display on boot)?

Author
Malichite
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/10/12 20:54:32 (permalink)
On my other Gigabyte X99 system there is the option to change which PCIe Display Adapter is used as the primary display output for accessing BIOS / initial OS installation / normal boot.  For example on the Gigabyte X99 / X299 boards it is called "Initial Display Output" in the BIOS where you can easily toggle PCIe slots 1-4 to use as the primary display. 

I have looked through the X299 Dark's manual/BIOS and I can't find any other option to do this aside from disabling the PCIe slot itself, which isn't what I want to do.  Am I just not looking in the correct place or is this not an option on the X299 Dark?

I am specifically trying to configure a GPU Pass-through and I need to boot Linux (MINT/Manjaro) from the secondary GPU in a lowest x8 PCIe so I don't hamper the perf of the faster x16 primary GPU.  I know that I can do that through blacklisting in Linux, but it makes it more of a hassle to always have to switch display devices on boot since the secondary card won't show anything until in Linux (i.e. unable to enter BIOS or change Boot options which switching back to primary until OS loads). 

5 Replies Related Threads

Tech_JoseC
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 383
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Changing X299 Dark Initial Display Output (i.e. which PCIe slot to display on boot)? 2019/10/14 17:55:40 (permalink)
    Hello! Unfortunately there is no option to change the primary display output on the X299 Dark. If this is an option you would like to see, you can always leave your suggestions and comments here https://www.evga.com/support/suggestions.asp
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30969
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Changing X299 Dark Initial Display Output (i.e. which PCIe slot to display on boot)? 2019/10/14 20:55:13 (permalink)
    no iGPU no boot option

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Malichite
    Re: Changing X299 Dark Initial Display Output (i.e. which PCIe slot to display on boot)? 2019/10/18 10:32:40 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JoseC
    Hello! Unfortunately there is no option to change the primary display output on the X299 Dark. If this is an option you would like to see, you can always leave your suggestions and comments here

OK I will make the request, but I don't think this will happen given X299 is slated to be EOLd soon enough.

Cool GTX
    no iGPU no boot option

That isn't a hard rule for the chipset, as I mentioned that Gigabyte X99 (BDW-E has no iGPU) and X299 (SKL-X / CascaseLake have no iGPU) both have this option.  This is very useful for someone that is wanting to use GPU pass-through and drive Linux using a low-perf card like a 1050Ti in the lowest PCIe slot, reserving the upper two x16 slots for higher perf GPUs.  Sure it is possible to workaround with a KVM or blacklisting cards in Linux, but it is a pain on initial setup and again if you need to change anything in the BIOS.

Thanks,
    a213m
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 877
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re: Changing X299 Dark Initial Display Output (i.e. which PCIe slot to display on boot)? 2019/10/19 18:16:11 (permalink)
    Malichite
    OK I will make the request, but I don't think this will happen given X299 is slated to be EOLd soon enough.

That's not true, X299 boards will support upcoming Cascade Lake-X CPUs, motherboards are getting new BIOS updates for new CPUs.

My free and open source SDR-DDR5 SPD reader/writer with write protection capabilities

New: 13900K, Z790 HERO, 2x32GB 6800C32, 4090, 2TB SN850, AX1600i
    Old: 10980XE, X299SE2, 8x8GB 4000C15, 4090, 2TB SN850, AX1600i
    Malichite
    Re: Changing X299 Dark Initial Display Output (i.e. which PCIe slot to display on boot)? 2019/10/24 17:31:32 (permalink)
    Well given that they are quiet on the X299X boards, maybe they will continue to support CascadeLake with one or two patches, but there is no way around that fact that this chipset is getting a bit long in the tooth.  Also the suggestion submission was quickly replied to stating that "none of their boards support this, but they would forward the request along anyway"... so not likely.

I really like this board, but I haven't found any workaround in Linux to support my needs as everything I find suggests just changing that in the non-existent BIOS option.  Maybe I'll have to give up and look at one of the other partner X299X revisions that do support the "Initial Display Output" in BIOS. Oh well...
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile