Author
Kodi41
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/10/11 17:59:32 (permalink)
Hello EVGA,

Could you do me a favor?

Build a MB with no raid controller, no audio, no video, no Lan- build it as simple as possible and let me choose what I want/need to add on.

Give me the best of the best in such a board and I would gladly buy it.

So many MB's come with so much crap most people will never use, it makes it mind boggling, Just go back in time and build me an ULTRA stable MB with OPTIONS that I can purchase as I want/need them. But don't skimp on the options, make them wicked good. 

I believe this would really please most people AND keep cost down on your end as well. Some what like buying a old Nova or Mustang we can build it if you let us.

BTW, What does EVGA stand for?

Oh well, one can only wish.

18 Replies Related Threads

jollydet
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 164
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: I hope this is the right place to post this 2019/10/11 18:49:10 (permalink)
    Board already exists. X299 Dark, turn the audio and lan off in the bios if you wish the Dark is as stable as gibraltar's rock and is built like a tank.
    Kodi41
    Re: I hope this is the right place to post this 2019/10/11 19:16:43 (permalink)
    I am sorry perhaps I wasn't clear- you said " turn the audio and lan off in the bios " I ask why should I have to do this- if I don't need it to begin with?

Don't include such things as Sound, LAN , RAID, ect- then you don't pay for it. Much like intel including video on a processor- I don't need now will I use it NO. Why should I have to pay for it?

I promise you there are vastly better RAID, LAN, Sound cards,  and video cards then whats integrated on any MB/Processor.

Much like building an audiophile audio system. It also allows for an upgrade path w/o unnecessary integrated items that you do not use.

It also frees up the pci buss, this alone will make a pc faster when set up correctly.
    post edited by Kodi41 - 2019/10/11 19:24:20
    jollydet
    Superclocked Member
    Re: I hope this is the right place to post this 2019/10/11 20:05:44 (permalink)
    You have plenty of pci lanes to do with as you wish 44 infact. The audio solution and nic solutions are not expensive to integrate so why would they build a board without them when 99.9% of people will use them and those who dont can turn them off if needed the board will not be cheaper without them and they will have no customers. X299 chips don't have integrated video and the raid support is now built into all modern cpus. your second post has entered the realm of gibberish/rant. PCI-E bus is not saturated by any of the above devices so not including them will have no effect on system response or latency and modern chipsets use DMI interface anyway im sure TIN will be happy to chime in on that. Buy a Dark and throw in your 100GB Nic card and Raid cards if you want. Disable what you want in the bios. it would make no difference if they were included to the build you propose. Plenty of pci-e lanes and pci-e slots to play with. If EVGA was to build the board you propose it would be even more expensive as what dictates the real cost of boards is how many they will sell if they engineer and build a board for 000.1% of customers they will have to charge a pretty penny to recoup any associated costs.
    post edited by jollydet - 2019/10/11 20:19:23
    tbrown7552
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 162
    Re: I hope this is the right place to post this 2019/10/11 23:34:04 (permalink)
    ^
    Couldnt have said it better myself
    a213m
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 877
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re: I hope this is the right place to post this 2019/10/12 00:27:16 (permalink)
    Kodi41
    Build a MB with no raid controller, no audio, no video, no Lan- build it as simple as possible and let me choose what I want/need to add on.

Here you go:

On a serious note, those are server grade requirements, EVGA is a home/desktop oriented vendor, you are asking the wrong manufacturer.

My free and open source SDR-DDR5 SPD reader/writer with write protection capabilities

New: 13900K, Z790 HERO, 2x32GB 6800C32, 4090, 2TB SN850, AX1600i
    Old: 10980XE, X299SE2, 8x8GB 4000C15, 4090, 2TB SN850, AX1600i
    jollydet
    Superclocked Member
    Re: I hope this is the right place to post this 2019/10/12 00:50:08 (permalink)
    a213m
    Kodi41

Here you go:

On a serious note, those are server grade requirements, EVGA is a home/desktop oriented vendor, you are asking the wrong manufacturer.

Thanks for the laugh A213m!
    Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: I hope this is the right place to post this 2019/10/12 02:29:15 (permalink)
    Complain because you don't want to disable LAN and Onboard Audio and insist on motherboard model without them is pointless. 
    Many people disable one by one 5-6 options in BIOS they don't need but no one complain why they exist on motherboard.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: I hope this is the right place to post this 2019/10/12 11:15:37 (permalink)
    Share your wants with EVGA through this

https://www.evga.com/support/suggestions.asp

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 17474
    • Ribbons : 61
    Re: I hope this is the right place to post this 2019/10/12 18:51:23 (permalink)
    Nobody is going to to build you something like this. Companies build feature rich products for the masses because bottom line is money.

Just get something and disable what you don't need in the bios.

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger" 
    Affiliate Code XZUMV9TJW5
    Associate Code: 7PM43CU71IB2IAP
    education may be expensive but wait until you get the bill for ignorance
    A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: I hope this is the right place to post this 2019/10/12 19:24:38 (permalink)
    I can understand the point of wanting a simple board with a focus on features he would want. It makes sense but I think LAN might be going a bit too far and limit what a consumer would want. Also the savings wouldn't be as much as I think a lot of people would think. It would be interesting for someone from EVGA to talk about it but my guess is that the savings would be like $15 to $20 depending on if it had RGB lighting on the board or not. The final price between a feature rich board and a bare bones one could be the difference in price you would see between the same board on Amazon and Newegg right now.

I want you to know it's good to submit feedback to EVGA since I am sure they will look at what customers want and address topics that multiple people think are good ideas. The Dark board is listening to customers who want a great board without RGB added for example.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Kodi41
    Re: I hope this is the right place to post this 2019/10/13 08:48:29 (permalink)
    jollydet
    You have plenty of pci lanes to do with as you wish 44 infact. The audio solution and nic solutions are not expensive to integrate so why would they build a board without them when 99.9% of people will use them and those who dont can turn them off if needed the board will not be cheaper without them and they will have no customers. X299 chips don't have integrated video and the raid support is now built into all modern cpus. your second post has entered the realm of gibberish/rant. PCI-E bus is not saturated by any of the above devices so not including them will have no effect on system response or latency and modern chipsets use DMI interface anyway im sure TIN will be happy to chime in on that. Buy a Dark and throw in your 100GB Nic card and Raid cards if you want. Disable what you want in the bios. it would make no difference if they were included to the build you propose. Plenty of pci-e lanes and pci-e slots to play with. If EVGA was to build the board you propose it would be even more expensive as what dictates the real cost of boards is how many they will sell if they engineer and build a board for 000.1% of customers they will have to charge a pretty penny to recoup any associated costs.

Well to be honest you sound very angry for some reason- oh well.

Moving forward, 44 lanes is simply not enough- ever try raiding quad NVMe? Have a look at even 2 NVMe in raid 0, there is simply not enough bandwidth for these drives to communicate with the cpu. Add in dual video cards and you out of space. An easy way to solve this is PURPOSE built mother boards. Delete all the crap that you don't need and wala you now have the lanes to the cpu you need. How do I know this= cause I'm running raid 0 Samsung 970's and a pair of engineering sample Samsung 980's there is hardly any difference when raiding these. And FYi I'm running an x299 Asus workstation board. I like my z270ws better.

What else? W3175x? Are you kidding me. 10k for a pc? Or should I go AMD?

NVMe is the future, simple as that, so build what we need NVMe support.

post edited by Kodi41 - 2019/10/13 08:52:51
    FROSTYBE3R
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 242
    Re: I hope this is the right place to post this 2019/10/13 09:34:05 (permalink)
    Kodi41
    jollydet

Moving forward, 44 lanes is simply not enough- ever try raiding quad NVMe? Have a look at even 2 NVMe in raid 0, there is simply not enough bandwidth for these drives to communicate with the cpu. Add in dual video cards and you out of space. An easy way to solve this is PURPOSE built mother boards. Delete all the crap that you don't need and wala you now have the lanes to the cpu you need. How do I know this= cause I'm running raid 0 Samsung 970's and a pair of engineering sample Samsung 980's there is hardly any difference when raiding these. And FYi I'm running an x299 Asus workstation board. I like my z270ws better.

If you're doing stuff that requires 4x nvme just get epyc 7742
    jollydet
    Superclocked Member
    Re: I hope this is the right place to post this 2019/10/13 11:15:43 (permalink)
    Kodi41
    jollydet

Far from angry sir! Frustrated perhaps when you say why do i have to pay for X and demanding certain things removed that will not give you additional capability. Deleting all that "crap"  proposed will not give you more PCI-E lanes that you want as the rest are still linked through the chipset not the cpu. The z270ws board you use supports cpus with 16 lanes and then uses a PLX chip Giving you a total of 32 with a latency hit.. Nearly everyone has gone away from PLX chips due the fact they incur a latency penalty something you said you wished to avoid. Here is what the blockdiagram for x299 looks like. If going from 32 lanes to 44 Native lanes is still not enough

You need a different platform as FROSTYBE3R suggested that has more lanes and has electrically wired pcie 16x slots like threadripper (64 lanes) or EPYC (128 lanes)
    A board like a dark will support 10x nvme drives + a gpu if you so need otherwise you need a server orientated platform. All the best.
    post edited by jollydet - 2019/10/13 11:21:05
    Kodi41
    Re: I hope this is the right place to post this 2019/10/15 17:05:39 (permalink)
    "A board like a dark will support 10x nvme drives + a gpu if you so need otherwise you need a server orientated platform"

Thank you for that information I didn't know that. Can you explain how this is possible in RAID mode on the board you speak of? What prevents bottle necking say 2 NVMe drives in RAID 0.

NVMe (in raid) is so "Dark" right now it's hard to find real answers.
    Kodi41
    Re: I hope this is the right place to post this 2019/10/15 17:13:17 (permalink)
    I checked the specs, the board only has 2 NVMe slots. Are there add in cards like Asus and Gigabyte? I see nothing listed.
    FROSTYBE3R
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 242
    Re: I hope this is the right place to post this 2019/10/15 17:29:23 (permalink)
    Getting x299 dark for daily use workstation stuff, what a joke, skip this board and leave it to actual overclockers who appreciate it.
    Kodi41
    Re: I hope this is the right place to post this 2019/10/15 17:38:46 (permalink)
    FROSTYBE3R
    Getting x299 dark for daily use workstation stuff, what a joke, skip this board and leave it to actual overclockers who appreciate it.

Wow nice people here. I Guess you assume you know my usage, ok that's fine. Thank you for nearly no help what so ever. 
    BTW- even x299 is very limited with NVMe RAID - what good is all that processing and video power if your drives are playing catch up.  Overclocking a SYSTEM means the ENTIRE system not just memory and cpu. W/O Fast drives, all the speed from the rest of the system means nothing.

With that, I prefer this thread to be closed.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: I hope this is the right place to post this 2019/10/16 08:55:04 (permalink)
    Locking Per OP request

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile