980ti Hybrid High Load Temperature

Author
shafi_amazon
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/10/06 03:18:45 (permalink)
Hello,
As the title says. I am using this card for more than 3 years. A couple of months back the temperature started to rise suddenly. Now it steers around 85-90 under load with an ambient temperature of 27*C. I even tried to swap the stock radiator fan with an noctua 3000 RMP PWM based one. I tried that with 100% RPM & the temperature now stays between 70-75*C. I am well aware of radiator mounting position & i have checked that i have set that in perfect position. My case isn't restrictive at all & has adequate airflow. Since this is an AIO based hybrid there isn't easy fix. Please note when it's at load the radiator gets so much hot that i am unable to touch it with bare hand. So, the heat is definitely getting transferred from GPU core. Since this is out of warranty i am asking for the community for a quick & cheap fix. Thanks in advance for responding.

4 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 980ti Hybrid High Load Temperature 2019/10/06 11:31:10 (permalink)
    Start by checking/reapplying your thermal paste. If your pump is weak you could switch it out using this to put a new pump on your card.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: 980ti Hybrid High Load Temperature 2019/10/06 11:41:30 (permalink)
    If the radiator is getting Hot - I agree with you that the pump & TIM are probably doing their job - Moving the heat from the GPU to the liquid system

So the issue appears to be getting the Heat from the radiator to the room air

Have You ?
    1) clean radiator fins of dust ?
    2) Clean fan & heat sink for the RAM & power section of the card ?

Running which OC software ?

What settings in OC software ?

Lowering Voltage should lower temps ?

Monitor(s), resolution & refresh rate ?

EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid Review - Liquid Cooled Overclocking and Thermal Benchmarks

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

shafi_amazon
    Re: 980ti Hybrid High Load Temperature 2019/10/07 00:10:33 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    If the radiator is getting Hot - I agree with you that the pump & TIM are probably doing their job - Moving the heat from the GPU to the liquid system

So the issue appears to be getting the Heat from the radiator to the room air

Have You ?
    1) clean radiator fins of dust ?
    2) Clean fan & heat sink for the RAM & power section of the card ?

Running which OC software ?

What settings in OC software ?

Lowering Voltage should lower temps ?

Monitor(s), resolution & refresh rate ?

Hello,
    Thanks for your response. Yes i have cleaned the radiator, the GPU enclosure & everything. I am not running any OC software at all except EVGA Precision for the blower fan control. Didn't touch the voltage at all. Yes i am well aware of the benchmark result. Before starting of the issue my temp was 50-52*C at load. The idle temp seems fine sitting at around 35*C. Like i said room temperature also is not an issue because my weather monitoring system reports room ambient temperature of 27*C+/- 10% accuracy. I previously thought that maybe the coolant had simply vapoured due to long term usage(if you consider 3 years the lifespan of EVGA Hybrid card). But, since the radiator is getting hot & yesterday when i opened it i could hear the liquid moving when i give a little shake to radiator & gpu.
    shafi_amazon
    Re: 980ti Hybrid High Load Temperature 2019/10/07 00:12:48 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Start by checking/reapplying your thermal paste. If your pump is weak you could switch it out using to put a new pump on your card.

Like i said. I don't think paste is an issue. Since my radiator is getting hot. So, the heat is definitely being tranferred from GPU. Also i have asked for cheap fix. Not going for any sort of expensive solution like buying a new water cooler & kit. Just trying to fix it before letting it go(to increase resale value). Looking forward to buy RTX 2080 Super Hybrid.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile