EVGA

Fan Replacement for GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ iCX

Author
DaveLessnau
  • Total Posts : 98
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2019/09/27 17:00:18 (permalink)
The fans on my nearly two year old EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ iCX (08G-P4-6686-KR) are starting to behave/sound badly (the primary fan makes a bit of a squeaky sound at low RPM and the secondary fan clicks as it's just starting to ramp up/down).  It's not the end of the world and I can work around it with changes to my fan curve.

I'm assuming those fans are user-replaceable.  But, until/unless I take the thing apart, I won't be able to see exactly what the fans are.  And, surprisingly, I can't find any information on them online.  Has anyone replaced the fans on theirs?  I don't see EVGA replacements, but maybe there are 3rd party fans that will work.  Since the cards have a 3-year limited warranty, another alternative would be to go through official EVGA channels.  But, I don't know if they'll want to swap the whole card (which seems silly) or if they'll send just the fans.

6 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Fan Replacement for GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ iCX 2019/09/27 17:08:32 (permalink)
    EVGA would RMA the whole card if the fans are going bad.  It is very unlikely that they would send you just the cards, but you could talk to them about your options. 
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Fan Replacement for GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ iCX 2019/09/27 17:08:34 (permalink)
    If the card is still under warranty you could do an rma, and just swap the cooler. Make sure you tell the tech you need your exact card as you plan to just swap the coolers. 
    DaveLessnau
    • Total Posts : 98
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Fan Replacement for GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ iCX 2019/09/28 09:56:18 (permalink)
    I wrote EVGA Support about this and, just for a bit of semi-closure, here's the response:

"...Unfortunately, we do not have the options to send out only GPU fans. The card would have to be RMA'd if the fans are having issues.
    As for the noise. If you haven't tried already, we would recommend removing the video card and placing it on a wooden surface and then gently pushing down on the fans
    Sometime the bearings can get loose and doing this pushes them back in to place and stops the noise from appearing.
    We would recommend giving this a shot and seeing if the issue still remain.s"

I'll give their "pushing down on the fans" thing a try.  But, assuming it doesn't help, I'll probably just live with the issue until it gets more troublesome.  I can't see RMAing the whole card for a bit of noise from the fans.  Maybe I'll disassemble the card enough to see the make/model of the fans so I can try replacing them with something similar a bit later.

You'd think it would be cheaper for them to ship out two fans and have people remove a few screws to replace them than it would be to have them do it themselves.

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Fan Replacement for GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ iCX 2019/09/28 11:51:40 (permalink)
    A cross ship rma will have evga send you out another card first before you have to send yours in, so you'll have time to swap the cooler.
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Fan Replacement for GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ iCX 2019/09/29 18:44:05 (permalink)

Moved to warranty questions section.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    EVGATech_BrandonO
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 224
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Fan Replacement for GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ iCX 2019/09/30 06:23:46 (permalink)
    Like they mentioned, if you wanted to just swap out the coolers you would have to do a cross-ship RMA for the video card where they send you one first.
    You can do a standard RMA but they will end up replacing the whole card for you.

Have a moment? Please rate our service
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile