EVGA Z370 Always Restarts to UEFI BIOS

Author
cotter32
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 234
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 6
2019/09/24 03:18:11 (permalink)

Wonder if anyone of you cats would care to comment on my weird computer behavior ?
Ever since I switched my board from legacy boot to UEFI boot, my computer always
restarts to BIOS when I use Windows power button, "restart" selection .  Everything else
works really good, and I don't restart that much, so I've given up on fixing it .  All I have to
do is press F10, and then enter key and Windows starts right up .  Also "shut down" is normal,
and cold boot with the computer case start switch is normal .  Boots to log-in screen in 13-14
seconds with Windows fast boot on .  18 seconds with fast boot off .  Also sleep is disabled .
I'm new to UEFI, but this seems wrong somehow .

My computer is:

Intel 8086K CPU
EVGA Z370 Classified K M/B in UFEI mode
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z370 Platform Desktop Memory
Model F4-3200C14Q-32GTZ
GIGABYTE AORUS AIC 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.3 3D TLC ToshiBa BiCS3 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) GP-ASACNE2100TTTDR
( Windows 10 home 64 bit system drive, GPT formatted by Windows, PCIe slot 6 )
WH16NS40 Internal SATA 16x Super Multi Blue DVD burner
( in SATA port 1 )
HyperX Savage 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SHSS37A/240G  ( data storage, SATA port 2, GPT formatted )
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s  ( data storage, SATA port 3, GPT formatted )
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING, 08G-P4-6181-KR, 8GB GDDR5X,
ACX 3.0 & LED  ( Video card in PCIE slot 2 )
LG 32” Class QHD Gaming Monitor with G-SYNC 32GK850G-B
EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W Modular Power Supply
( eco mode off )
Logitech USB keyboard, Logitech USB mouse, Xbox1 USB game controller
BIOS version 1.14, latest Windows, all drivers up to date, and Microsoft, or
Vendor provided .

Some might say, "well it's your PCIe SSD, it's not compatible ."  But, it works great, and I got the problem right away before I had it .
I was running OS on the 240Gb SATA SSD, it was fine, then I converted it to GPT, switched to UEFI booting and got the restart
problem .  Then I installed my PCIe SSD add In card, formatted it GPT, pull the data cables to the other drives, and clean
installed Windows after BIOS 1.14 update .  Then I clean installed it again, same .  Even during Windows set up .

Anyways, I'm living with it 'cause I'm too dumb to fix it, and otherwise the computer is absolutely fabulous :|

cotter32
"to the moon, Alice"

8 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: EVGA Z370 Always Restarts to UEFI BIOS 2019/09/24 11:23:24 (permalink)
    Only thing I could think of that would cause this would be that you don't have your os ssd set to #1 in the boot priority list.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA Z370 Always Restarts to UEFI BIOS 2019/09/24 12:15:07 (permalink)
    So the current OS / BOOT drive - was Clean Installed in UEFI mode ? - "PCIe SSD add In card, formatted it GPT, pull the data cables to the other drives, and clean
    installed Windows after BIOS 1.14 update"

Have you tried clearing the BIOS & loading default, then save & exit - Reboot & reentering your settings ? (or switching to your second BIOS - if your MB has that feature)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

cotter32
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA Z370 Always Restarts to UEFI BIOS 2019/09/24 16:11:57 (permalink)
    Re. Sajin;
    Yeah, but it is set to #1, and BIOS lists it by name under the boot drives .  It's the only one in the list .
    I even left SATA port 0 empty because I'm old fashioned and superstitious .  I suspect Windows/UEFI weirdness .

cotter32

cotter32
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA Z370 Always Restarts to UEFI BIOS 2019/09/24 16:29:15 (permalink)
    Re. Cool GTX;

Yes, clean installed twice .  I blew-up the first installation trying to fix it with command line stuff .
    ... always had good luck with command line stuff before that .  Live and learn .
    I cleared the BIOS and set it to default like you said, both times I think, last time for sure .
    Step by step UEFI install with EVGA manual in hand .  After that I tried clearing CMOS, and
    reflashing BIOS .  BIOS is working great except for that one thing .
    I did not switch to second BIOS as the switch is conveniently located underneath my 1080 graphics card .
    ... also BIOS 2 has never been updated .  I found one post about this behavior on the net, and it
    seems the user had more than one active boot partition .  I've run diskpart, and messed around, but
    I can't recall if diskpart told me the active partitions, or not .  I did determine that diskpart in Windows 10
    is a little different than diskpart in Win 7 .  Maybe I'll try figuring out my active partition situation, again 
    pretty soon .

cotter32
    MhzManiac
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 772
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: EVGA Z370 Always Restarts to UEFI BIOS 2019/09/24 22:12:30 (permalink)
    Windows 10 has a recovery disk partition that it formats on your hard drive when the OS is installed. It's what boots up when you have trouble with 3 bad starts in a row. That partition can send you straight into the bios screen with a UEFI system. It does sound like the OS drive is not found on reboot and goes into bios by default. There must be some other UEFI settings not set correctly. Do you have legacy and UEFI options enabled?

That is me in the picture, anyone else ever pet a live Lion?
    EVGA Z390 FTW (Bios 1.08)  i9-9900KF 8 core, 32G Corsair Vengeance LPX Dual Chl 3000 XMP-1 ,  
    Intel SSD6 M.2 2TB, Samsung 840 PRO 1TB / 512G SSD,   Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super , Win 11 Pro 64, EVGA Supernova 1300 watts, NZXT Phantom 820, Strix Raid DLX 7.1 surround, Corsair H100 Liquid , Dell S2417DG /S2409W / Acer XB241H Predator / Samsung C24F390 Curve/ Oculus Rift S VR
    cotter32
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA Z370 Always Restarts to UEFI BIOS 2019/09/25 17:21:35 (permalink)
    Re. MhzManiac

I was looking at that recovery partition with disk management, and diskpart last night .  Mine has no drive letter,
    and is on the same physical drive as partition C: system drive, boot drive .  Recovery was FAT32, the rest NTSF, all
    physical drives GPT partitioned .
    Both programs work differently in UEFI mode .  Neither tells what partitions are marked active, or will mark any
    as active ( option is greyed out in disk management ) .  I get the impression that an "active" partition is not
    applicable to UEFI booting .
    I never have any bad starts if I cold boot, but every restart from Windows is bad as it goes to BIOS ( UEFI setup ) .
    It goes; "restarting", momentary blank screen, two quick beeps, BIOS splash screen with press DEL, or F12 to
    enter setup ( A0 is in the lower right corner ), then after about 10-15 seconds the BIOS set up screen opens .
    I hit F10, then enter, and Windows boots up almost immediately .  I'm beginning to think of it as a feature
    instead of as a problem ;)
    Oh, yeah, UEFI is enabled, legacy and CSM disabled .  Secure boot is off .  Secure boot doesn't want to load
    my Creative sound driver .

"... zip, bang to the moon ."
    cotter32

MhzManiac
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 772
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: EVGA Z370 Always Restarts to UEFI BIOS 2019/09/25 20:16:54 (permalink)
    Here is a screen shot of my drives that show the reserve. You know I chased this problem before in Windows 8 and there were 2 MBR's. I used the ms config console to delete the wrong MBR and then it would reboot.

post edited by MhzManiac - 2019/09/25 20:48:49

Attached Image(s)

That is me in the picture, anyone else ever pet a live Lion?
    EVGA Z390 FTW (Bios 1.08)  i9-9900KF 8 core, 32G Corsair Vengeance LPX Dual Chl 3000 XMP-1 ,  
    Intel SSD6 M.2 2TB, Samsung 840 PRO 1TB / 512G SSD,   Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super , Win 11 Pro 64, EVGA Supernova 1300 watts, NZXT Phantom 820, Strix Raid DLX 7.1 surround, Corsair H100 Liquid , Dell S2417DG /S2409W / Acer XB241H Predator / Samsung C24F390 Curve/ Oculus Rift S VR
    cotter32
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA Z370 Always Restarts to UEFI BIOS 2019/09/27 02:57:06 (permalink)
    Re. MhzManiac;

Thanks for sharing .  My system disk looks much like yours, but with only 4 partitions .  I don't know what that 16 MB "reserved" partition is .
    Reserved by Windows, or the SSD ?  Alice's personality ?

DISKPART> list disk
      Disk ###  Status         Size          Free          Dyn   Gpt
      --------  -------------  -------       -------          ---     ---
      Disk 0    Online          953 GB      0 B                       *
      Disk 1    Online          931 GB     1024 KB                 *
      Disk 2    Online          223 GB     1024 KB                 *
    DISKPART> list volume
      Volume ###  Ltr  Label                      Fs          Type          Size           Status             Info
      ----------   ---  -----------                   -----      ----------     -------      ---------          --------
      Volume 0         D                                DVD-ROM                0 B         No Media
      Volume 1         Recovery                   NTFS    Partition     499 MB       Healthy
      Volume 2         C                              NTFS    Partition      953 GB      Healthy          Boot
      Volume 3                                         FAT32   Partition       99 MB      Healthy          System
      Volume 4         F   New Volume          NTFS    Partition      931 GB      Healthy
      Volume 5         E   New Volume         NTFS    Partition      223 GB      Healthy
    DISKPART> select disk 0
    Disk 0 is now the selected disk.
    DISKPART> list volume
      Volume ###  Ltr  Label                   Fs                  Type                     Size        Status            Info
      ----------   ---  -----------                 -----              ----------               -------    ---------          --------
      Volume  0       D                              DVD-ROM                                     0 B      No Media
      Volume  1       Recovery                   NTFS            Partition                499 MB     Healthy
      Volume  2       C                              NTFS            Partition                953 GB     Healthy        Boot
      Volume  3                                       FAT32           Partition                99 MB      Healthy        System
      Volume  4     F   New Volume           NTFS            Partition                 931 GB     Healthy
      Volume  5     E   New Volume           NTFS            Partition                 223 GB     Healthy
    DISKPART> select volume 1
    Volume 1 is the selected volume.
    DISKPART> list partition
      Partition ###      Type                        Size             Offset
      -------------       ----------------          -------           -------
    * Partition  1        Recovery                 499 MB        1024 KB
       Partition  2        System                     99 MB        500 MB
       Partition  3        Reserved                  16 MB         599 MB
       Partition  4        Primary                   953 GB        615 MB
    DISKPART>

What do you think of that mess ?

P.S. That's a boss system you got there, MhzManiac !  Looks good, too .

cotter32

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile