EVGA

AMD's next-gen high-end Radeon: HBM2E memory and ray tracing support?

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2019/09/15 22:24:45 (permalink)
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/67591/amds-next-gen-high-end-radeon-hbm2e-memory-ray-tracing-support/index.html

AMD is preparing its next-gen RDNA 2 architecture for a slew of new graphics cards next year, with the company using the newer 7nm+ node with new cards launching in 2H 2020. TRENDING NOW: AMD SMASHES CINEBENCH WORLD RECORD WITH DUAL EPYC 7742 PROCESSORS Home News Video Cards AMD's next-gen high-end Radeon: HBM2E memory and ray tracing support? RDNA 2 could be a BEAST: GDDR6 or HBM2E could be used, 7nm+ node and ray tracing By Anthony Garreffa from 2 hours, 31 mins ago Comment | Email to a Friend Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 5700 8GB GDDR6 Buy at Amazon for $369.99 AMD is preparing its next-gen RDNA 2 architecture for a slew of new graphics cards next year, with the company using the newer 7nm+ node with new cards launching in 2H 2020. We know to expect these cards to feature ray tracing support, as well as an industry source of mine telling me they'll be much higher-end cards than the RDNA-based RX 5700 series. This move will see AMD on equal footing with NVIDIA's current GeForce RTX series in the RTX 2080 SUPER and flagship RTX 2080 Ti, but what about NVIDIA's next-gen Ampere GPUs expected in 2020? AMD will need RDNA 2 to be something quite special if it doesn't want to be an entire generation behind of NVIDIA's next-gen flagship.

Quick Takeaway: New Radeon card on the way RDNA 2 architecture Navi 10 successor (probably Navi 20) Ray tracing support Not GDDR6, possibly HBM2E HBM2E = revised standard, 8-Hi stack 8-Hi stack offers 920GB/sec up to insane 1.64TB/sec memory bandwidth Memory bandwidth = GOOD Crazy high-end will be server/HPC But new high-end Radeon could be a BEAST ETA = 2H 2020

Looking forward to this. Let's see if the Red Machine can really compete in 2020. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

15 Replies Related Threads

Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: AMD's next-gen high-end Radeon: HBM2E memory and ray tracing support? 2019/09/15 22:59:56 (permalink)
    I can't describe to people, Intel can't reach AMD performance before they pull back in hole and show up with new technology after 2-3 years.
    AMD have new engine and could enjoy several years improving him.
    Intel only could be happy because their position and inferiority is far better then situation of AMD when Intel jump to Core 2 Duo. 

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: AMD's next-gen high-end Radeon: HBM2E memory and ray tracing support? 2019/09/16 07:26:09 (permalink)
    better late than never, I guess...

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    castrator86
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 816
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: AMD's next-gen high-end Radeon: HBM2E memory and ray tracing support? 2019/09/16 08:40:18 (permalink)
    Should be a beast on the rendering/work-bench side of things; but I'm not sure this will translate down the line to the Radeon cards & gaming if their biggest improvement is just tacking on super fast memory onto these cards when their whole goal is to remain a bargain compared to Nvidia price-points.

Gold Leader
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3939
    • Ribbons : 62
    Re: AMD's next-gen high-end Radeon: HBM2E memory and ray tracing support? 2019/09/16 10:48:35 (permalink)
    As a Radeon user, RNDA 2.0 will change the face of graphics, literally

it took time for AMD to make their place and Big Navi most probably Navi 23 will be their ZEN 2 & 3 for the GPU market so far things are looking better than ever, nice post rjohnson11

AMD Radeons are like wine, they improve in time and I always have time and patience for good worthy technology to come around.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: AMD's next-gen high-end Radeon: HBM2E memory and ray tracing support? 2019/09/16 11:32:32 (permalink)
    The GPU wars might heating up - if performance or price are significantly different

We'll just have to sit back and wait for those Future launches .... whenever they actually happen

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: AMD's next-gen high-end Radeon: HBM2E memory and ray tracing support? 2019/09/16 11:38:46 (permalink)
    After all AMD hype has done, I hope that there is actually truth behind these claims. Far too often does the hype train get running hot and heavy, and then summers down as the truth closes in.
    Gold Leader
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: AMD's next-gen high-end Radeon: HBM2E memory and ray tracing support? 2019/09/16 11:59:02 (permalink)
    NVIDIA is more about lies than just hype rofl.. every company tries their best to gain as much market interest yes that is what marketing does right?

So far AMD has actually proven that you can buy a top performing Navi GPU for 400 USD and beat a 2080 Super, yes there are 5700 XT models that can do this... take the Power Color RX 5700 XT Red Devil as a good example, there are plenty reviews that even show that, not in all games but thanks to great driver improvements it gets super close and that for a price difference of 450 a 460 euros a 2080 Super is around 852 a 900 euros in my country the Red Devil is around 439 Euros.
    Here a lovely video proving it from Tech of Tomorrow a very neutral test watch the entire thing and you can see for yourself.

And this is out of the box performance btw

The RX 5700 XT is only the first Navi card and it's already giving these over priced RTX cards a very hard time, quite enjoyable to see if I have to be honest.
    Next gen Navi could be like a nuke to NV's market infrastructure, afterall they mentioned a NVIDIA killer GPU hehe I am curious tho, but such things are always welcome, you can't win for ever and trust me I seen super sized companies fall in a matter of weeks companies that wee triple the side of NVIDIA so anything can happen on all ends.

Also how Zen 2 obliterated Intel's Coffee lake & Sky Lake CPU's, these lake CPU's are actually reproduced old designs they kept releasing time and time again with less than 5% performance difference per CPU.
    Even the buyers were force to replace their mainboards...hmm oke then.

NVIDIA's like Apple's & Intel's when it comes to prices, they are all a joke and a major insult to the market, just how they lie and false market their products.
    If they really want to compete they have to start lowering their prices for at least 40 to 50% 
    That is if people would even want to find them of interest, also the amount of security leaks Intel has been camping with, whelp doesn't affect the AMD CPU's because they are of a better design.

Ah well we shall see indeed, so far I know what I am advising people I know, plus for the most of it people with the proper knowledge with accurate information from reliable resources over those sites sponsered by Intel Apple or NVIDIA, those are propaganda sites that are packed with tricks and lies.

I have at least the guts to mention these things you can't like everything right, and Idon't like false marketing lies.
    Most people buy AMD Ryzens & Radeons these days, they are just more affordable and they give top performance for a good deal and that is all what matters.

Like Paul from not an apple fan, I too am a fan of consumer market friendly prices and products that give you a good bag for buck.
    And yea AMD outsold NVIDIA lol

I too used to be different when I used to have a good job, but that all changed when I became disabled, I seek best bang for buck, I seek truth and ignore propaganda, i leave that to the cabbages.
    AMD offers all of that, as where Intel, NVIDIA and Apple.. they don't, they just rip you off right in your face and still try to lie around it, after the 30+ years of computing experience I know what companies to avoid.

It's a shame such well known companies need to lie about their products there by hiding their failures that is a major disappointment.
    post edited by Gold Leader - 2019/09/16 12:06:19

Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6746
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: AMD's next-gen high-end Radeon: HBM2E memory and ray tracing support? 2019/09/19 05:23:41 (permalink)
    WHAT A LOAD OF BS!!!???
    (referring to 2nd video only not the comments)

do we need to pull out the slides again?? that show NVidia on top

all AMD did do is regain Discrete GPU sales to a point they were  2 years ago....note quite - closer to where it was  a few quarters ago - just regaining what it lost in the last year
    they still have over a decade of loss to regain

1. AMD overall GPU sales are up - due to CPU SALES ONLY and those people could care less whats in the CPU -
    most are businesses and could care less what in - you could have put a onboard matrox or other 3rd party(imagine) and they could care less - just work to show basic graphics

2. some of those APU's from AMD - the GPU will be disabled to put in a discrete GPU - at a level of 3 or 4 to 1 of NVidia to AMD.... the Stats numbers with Nvidia having 75% of discrete market show that

this is not due to to fact of " AMD being better at CPU so they should be better at GPU"
    that would be a false premise

you could  be #1 at CPU and be piss poor a GPU - look at intel #1 in cpu sales- yes Intel is #1 in GPU sales but they are the worst GPU
    The only reason AMD gained on overall GPU sales was because of CPU sales- and thats all- YES AMD is making big roads in CPU sales

take it from some AMD shill or fanboy to put Absolute bogus facts out there
    (Again not referring to poster - but instead the Fanboy that made the video- who can't seem to take his hat off and really look at the data and give a measured response)

CPU sales are way up - that garners you more GPU sales by default - - They sill are not beating Intel ....they have the cpu market share
    so INTEL by default is the GPU kings???????? is that what you are saying 
    who barely make a gpu worthwhile - who if they didn't include a GPU in their cpu would not even be in the gpu market at all(no sales)

we should all give up and let INtel be the GPU maker....sort off mentallity - they are #1 in GPU sales so everyone should bow out,,,ROTFLMAO

post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2019/09/19 05:44:09

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: AMD's next-gen high-end Radeon: HBM2E memory and ray tracing support? 2019/09/19 05:57:25 (permalink)
    I think the important thing here is that AMD is learning to compete again. I am hopeful that in 2020 AMD will have far better GPUs. They probably won't have the best GPU but I think if they can make a GPU that is slightly better than an RTX 2080 and cheaper that would be a win situation. There is no way that AMD can make a GPU that can compete with the RTX 2080ti but if they can narrow the gap in performance with every GPU release I would be very happy. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5290
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: AMD's next-gen high-end Radeon: HBM2E memory and ray tracing support? 2019/09/20 16:37:34 (permalink)
    https://www.t3.com/news/xbox-scarlett-will-feature-dedicated-ray-tracing-cores-says-gears-5-dev

XBOX 1:40 mark 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ktN4bycj9s

AMD powered xbox 5 will have ray tracing cores.

post edited by seth89 - 2019/09/20 16:47:03

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: AMD's next-gen high-end Radeon: HBM2E memory and ray tracing support? 2019/09/21 05:34:09 (permalink)
    AMD's marketing has been meaningless for ages. The more they hype up a GPU the worse it eventually does or the longer it ends up delayed while they fix things. HBM2 wasn't a fix for an inefficient uArch design and it just make the cards expensive with thin profit margins for AMD. Throwing fancy expensive memory solutions at new derivatives is still not going to fix the problem. I don't think AMD has the resources left to design a performance-leading flagship card anymore, heck their marketing budget is probably as large as their future R&D budget. 

Have water, will cool. 
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: AMD's next-gen high-end Radeon: HBM2E memory and ray tracing support? 2019/09/24 07:42:20 (permalink)
    Like it or not, console tech drives AMD's GPU development. We already know next gen consoles will have raytracing. Nvidia is not driving AMD towards these innovations, but rather Microsoft and Sony are.
    Gold Leader
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: AMD's next-gen high-end Radeon: HBM2E memory and ray tracing support? 2019/09/24 10:12:24 (permalink)
    AMD is doing this themselves really, MS has utterly nothing to do with on what they are doing.
    They just don't find it of need to have RT & Tensor cores in their current GPU's because less than THREE games use Ray Tracing, so who cares? Nobody does.
    Most gamers want image quality and good performance on a global result in their games over some tech that horridly cascades the performance and image quality yes DLSS isn't great and RTX doesn't do what it should be doing, Ray Tracing isn't made by NVIDIA it's been around since 1989, so please stop over marketing something you do not own NVIDIA it makes you look stupid.

Corteks has the perfect analogy when it comes to adding Ray tracing to a GPU that barely can do parts of it< it's like adding wings to a car but you'll only fly 5 seconds but you will crash and die anyways in the end

Tom from Moore's law is Dead had a podcast explaining this with Coteks in this video:

Go to 15:28 to hear this lovey analogy
    Sorry for bringing that up but I thought it was kind of need.
    And personally I never saw the difference, I was never given the special green glasses to see the difference anyways so just marketing nonsense in the end.
    Copanies will try to go far when it comes to such things, it's a shaem it still happens these days but it's not all too surprising.

AMD thinks for all users users for Linux, Mac OS as well as Microsoft they think on a more global pattern, since their GPU's are in all major Console brands from Sony Plantation 4 & up, Google Stradia, Microsoft X-Box One & up & Nintendo Wii and up, they kind of are already ruling the market there and for your information 50% of the gamers use Consoles ;)

NVIDIA has to suffer by selling downgraded Server chips for the gaming market resulting large oversized die's that costs more in the end, impractical idea's being used, they are not even on 7nm even if they were their dies would still be larger than that of what AMD is making, TX 2080 Super at 7nm would still be around 438mm2, the RT cores need space, the tensor cores need space etc.
    Here a lovely video explaining how and why, Paul aka NAAF explains:

AMD has been behind for some time, yes that is true well max performance wise, even their goal is the mid range market this is a market that most cards are being sold, even though not having a high end card does seem rather lacking, but I'm not worried about it.
    Yet price performance sector related, they have always done pretty well.

As for using HBM2E that is a very logical move, I look forward to seeing this VRAM type in action, yet not HBM3 was chosen also interesting I guess.
    post edited by Gold Leader - 2019/09/24 10:20:21

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: AMD's next-gen high-end Radeon: HBM2E memory and ray tracing support? 2019/09/24 15:07:15 (permalink)
    Next-gen consoles will have ray-tracing. How useful it will be will be anyone's guess, but it doesn't matter. Once it's in console hardware it will probably be in multiple consoles, and at that point game studios will use it to eke out performance and/or pretty graphic effects.

Have water, will cool. 
    Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6746
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: AMD's next-gen high-end Radeon: HBM2E memory and ray tracing support? 2019/10/11 19:15:13 (permalink)
    Rumor : AMD Bringing Ray Tracing Support to Navi in December

Officially, AMD's Navi supports ray tracing in software but does not have specialized hardware built-in for ray tracing acceleration. However, while specialized hardware can help accelerate ray tracing it is not a requirement to support Microsoft's DirectX Ray Tracing feature.

https://wccftech.com/rumor-amd-bringing-ray-tracing-support-to-navi-in-december-driver-release/

it looks like they are gonna leverage Cloud computing for RT
    hardware won't come til next gen

Still AMD will take a bigger hit in performance
    post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2019/10/11 19:17:54

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile