EVGA

Nu Audio Question

Author
mrplow999
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/09/20 16:21:42 (permalink)
I have a quick question regarding the Nu Audio card.
My current set up had my HDMI running out of my video card (EVGA 1080ti) to my receiver, then to my television. I have been experiencing various audio issues (HDMI sync, audio drop-outs, conflicts with other HDMI inputs using CEC/ARC  etc) with this set-up along with unnecessary added lag, so I hope to use the Nu Audio card as my primary sound card and hook the HDMI directly to the television with the added benefit of improved sound.
Currently, I get multi-channel audio output from my video card. If I use the S/PDIF out will I still get multi channel/5.1 out or will it only output stereo? If anyone has a similar setup can you please chime in and let me know how it works for you?
Thanks in advance
JY

7 Replies Related Threads

viki80
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re: Nu Audio Question 2019/09/20 19:34:04 (permalink)
    For surround, u should get a sound card that has hardware dolby,dts decoder.
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Nu Audio Question 2019/09/21 00:18:02 (permalink)
    No point buying NU Audio, if all you plan on using is S/PDIF out (Optical Out (TOSLINK Passthrough). You can get the same optical out audio quality from your motherboard. If you have software that can encode Dolby Digital or DTS, both onboard optical out and NU Audio will pass it through optical out.

Creative AE-7 Sound card software will encode Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect for both 5.1 analog and optical out.

mrplow999
    Re: Nu Audio Question 2019/09/22 12:28:42 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies. That's a bit of a bummer, but what I thought honestly. 
    The wife knew that I had been talking about changing the setup and saw the sale on the Nu Audio card this weekend and jumped on it as a surprise. 
    I hadn't fully done my research yet and was cautiously grateful when she told me.
    I suppose I can always return it (not sure EVGA's policy regarding something like that) since I already have an optical out on my Z270 FTW.
    So if I understand you, I won't get 5.1 audio from the optical port unless I have either a hardware or software encoder? Is that something that's currently being handled by my video card? Sorry to be thick here, but I'm not up on the PC side of surround. In home theater usually either the component handles the decoding or the receiver, the content is already encoded in DD/DTS, no encoding necessary.    

Thanks for the input and I'll check out the Creative AE-7 software.  
    JY
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Nu Audio Question 2019/09/22 14:57:26 (permalink)
    You should be able t get 5.1 using optical out from onboard audio or dedicated sound card that has optical out.  I'm not current using onboard audio, but check these settings.

Right click on speaker icon by the system clock (bottom right corner)
    Select Sound > click on Playback tab at the top > click on Speakers > click configure

Do you see options like this?

Also check SPDIF-Out settings.

Right click on system clock again > select sound > Playback Tab > click on SPDIF-Out > click on Properties > Supported Formats tab

My current sound card is Creative AE-5.

viki80
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re: Nu Audio Question 2019/09/22 17:39:49 (permalink)
    For movies, u will get surround if u are using powerdvd. Other player may or may not work.
    I tried kodi player and there is no surround.
    For gaming, u wont get surround because u need dolby,dts decoder not passthrough.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Nu Audio Question 2019/09/22 19:29:11 (permalink)
    I recommend that if you do have to return the card you make sure to do something special for your wife to show her that you apricate the thought even if the card doesn't work in that setup as she had hoped. It doesn't have to be anything big just that you understand she was thinking of you and that you also think about her.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

mrplow999
    Re: Nu Audio Question 2019/09/23 12:59:40 (permalink)
    All,
    I got the chance to try out the setup as was shown above and can confirm that it does indeed work. I get the DD light on the receiver when I test the DD setting and the DTS light etc. I do only seem to be getting 2.0 on everything else. I think the receiver is automatically converting it to PLII, as I'm getting sound out of all speakers, but no indicator on the receiver display. What I'm surprised by is the visual improvement. I had everything set to pass through and game mode, but I think the receiver was adding a small bit of interference to the signal in spite of this. Text is much sharper and video is really clear. It's a noticeable improvement.
    I'l have to play around a bit more to see if the trade-off of improved visuals/slightly lower audio quality is worth it until I can find a sound card that will do DD/DTS encoding. (Dolby Digital Live! is the feature I'm looking for if I understand correctly). That's not a feature EVGA is adding is it or does that require additional hardware on the card?
    Not sure if I'm going to keep the card at this point (arrives tomorrow) but rest assured that no matter what I decide to do, the wife will get something nice as a thank you. She always does. Probably won't be the 2080ti FTW3 she has her eye on, but I see a Steam credit in her near future at the very least.

Thank you all 
    JY
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile