EVGA

RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts

Author
mahenryak
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/09/15 15:18:48 (permalink)
I have a new evga rtx 2080 super (black series) and I am experiencing random restartsl.  I swapped out both PSU and RAM, even though memory tests found no issues.  Running in debug mode seems to postpone the crash/restart but not fix it entirely, as ultimately the pattern of freeze --> black screen --> Restart would occur again.  I am currently using EVGA 1000 G+; MSI MEG Z390 ACE motherboard; i9 9900k cpu.  I have independent rails to my graphics card (two different VGA-labeled power connectors are connected to pins on card.)

I followed the steps to do a clean boot uninstall / re-install but I get the same result.  I've since examined the memory dump and see a reference to a Symantec process as well as NVIDIA process.  I am currently trying to download Youngblood from the Bethsesda site, which was redeemed with the purchase of the card, with both Symantec Smart Firewall and Auto-Protect disabled.  This will take some time as my Internet speed is not great (10Mbps).  If the download completes without incident then I may try overclocking and running a stress test.  I am leaning toward returning to Newegg as a defective card right now for replacement while I am still within the window of time allowed,  but I'm not quite there, yet.  I don't have any prior experience troubleshooting these cards.

Additional Information: 
This is a new pc build.  My random restarts have been occurring without OC.  CPU and GPU temps are low.  Also, if you're curious as to why I am testing utilizing the download from the Bethseda site, there is not particular reason other than it has crashed routinely while downloading from this site or the EPIC games site. It has seemed that multi-tasking while downloading is a way to expedite the crash.

The download that I started a couple of hours ago is still running.  Debug mode is off and Norton Smart Firewall and Auto-Protect are still disabled.
post edited by mahenryak - 2019/09/15 15:36:17

27 Replies Related Threads

mahenryak
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/16 09:16:39 (permalink)
    By way of follow up, in case this may help someone else, my system remained on for virtually all of yesterday and the Youngblood download completed.  I then ran a Prime95 blended stress test on the cpu, with no OC configured.  I let that go for two hours before stopping it and my system survived unscathed--Norton Smart Firewall and Auto-Protection still disabled.  (I did notice my cpu temp was about 93C when I stopped it, but this is a different story.)  
    So, I then left the system virtually idle all night long, but this time I re-enabled both Norton Smart Firewall and Auto-Protection.  The computer survived all night without a restart.  I left it on as I headed off to work today.  I'll check it tonight when I get home. 

P.S.
    I have the Power Settings set to never go to sleep (both system and hard drive).
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30991
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/16 11:43:46 (permalink)
    The issue would happen at any time & Not just when benchmark or game was running ?

Which Nvidia driver are you using ?

What changes in Nvidia Control Panel have you made - if any ?

No issues showing in Device Manager ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/16 12:15:10 (permalink)
    Not saying the gpu may not have problems too , BUT  93 C on your cpu is high.  That could definitely be shutting down your system too., ( thermal shutdown to prevent massive damage )

This could apply to the gpu & cpu.  I would for sure check / redo the TIM on your cpu and get that under control -> then move on to testing the gpu afterwards.

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/16 12:42:31 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b
    Not saying the gpu may not have problems too , BUT  93 C on your cpu is high.  That could definitely be shutting down your system too., ( thermal shutdown to prevent massive damage )

This could apply to the gpu & cpu.  I would for sure check / redo the TIM on your cpu and get that under control -> then move on to testing the gpu afterwards.

+1  This.  

93c on a CPU is degrading and can and in most cases spike higher than that before you notice the temps and or a thermal shutdown.  I would prioritize this in your troubleshooting asap.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    mahenryak
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/16 14:21:29 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies.  Regarding the 93C on the CPU this was only AFTER stress testing.  Yes, I'm aware this is high.   Normally, the CPU is purring along at around 31C - to 37C.  If I wasn't clear before, the random restarts were happening prior to the stress test and under no load to speak of, not under gaming circumstances. 

Edit:
    For example, it restarted on me yesterday morning while I was simply attempting to download a game that I had redeemed from the Bethesda site, prior to disabling Norton.  I was at the computer and can verify that the CPU temp was under 40C at the time (37C if memory serves me right).  I went to open up Google Chrome and, voila, display froze and ultimately a restart occurred.

And, by the way, I only did the stress test after an 8 or 9 hour stretch of up time. So, not to get distracted on that point...

Cool GTX
    The issue would happen at any time & Not just when benchmark or game was running ?

Correct.  Issue would happen at any time, no gaming involved.
    Cool GTX
    Which Nvidia driver are you using ?

The latest available -- September 10, I believe.
    Cool GTX
    What changes in Nvidia Control Panel have you made - if any ?

I tried both with and without G-Sync (my monitor is on the supported list).  I also tried in Debug mode.

Cool GTX
    No issues showing in Device Manager ?

Correct.  No issues appearing in Device Manager.

I am going to check and see if it remained on all day after I get home tonight.  There's a chance that my issue may be behind me--at least one can hope.

(edit by Cool GTX - fixed quotes)
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2019/09/16 14:38:23
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/16 14:39:15 (permalink)
    Is hardware acceleration turned Off in Chrome ?  (it is known to cause issue)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/16 14:43:08 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

Hardware acceleration shouldn't cause an issue if your hardware and drivers are working properly. I mean, that is what your expensive hardware is for, right? ... To accelerate tasks.

I haven't needed to turn hardware acceleration off.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

mahenryak
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/16 14:46:58 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

I did not know this was a potential issue.  I will have to check this out, later.  If hardware acceleration is on by default, then yes it is on.  Otherwise it would be off as I didn't actively turn it on.  Thank you.
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/16 14:47:27 (permalink)
    Not sure then - random restarts is usually PSU  power issue  or  thermal shutdown from either the cpu or gpu.    Memory problems is typically blue screen freezes and then restarts.

you say you changed psu & ram already ,  so narrowing it down to cpu or gpu problems .

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/16 14:51:15 (permalink)
    So you've had no problems after removing the Norton software?
    mahenryak
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/16 14:54:45 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b
    Not sure then - random restarts is usually PSU  power issue  or  thermal shutdown from either the cpu or gpu.    Memory problems is typically blue screen freezes and then restarts.

you say you changed psu & ram already ,  so narrowing it down to cpu or gpu problems .

Yes.  I  have swapped out both the PSU and the RAM.  I am not getting a blue screen.  The behavior hasn't always been exactly the same, but usually it is a frozen screen, followed by a delayed restart effect.  All components used have been brand new out of the box.  Am I misguided to think that somehow my anti-virus software could have been the culprit given that I saw a reference to it in the memory dump?  
    DeadlyMercury
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 422
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/16 14:59:17 (permalink)
    Shouldn't if it works correctly. And there was always issues with chrome HW acceleration on nvidia.

"An original idea. That can't be too hard. The library must be full of them."
    Stephen Fry
    mahenryak
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/16 15:00:47 (permalink)
    Sajin

I feel a qualified, 'Yes', is in order, here.  Meaning, technically I did not remove it but temporarily disabled the Norton Smart Firewall and Auto-Protect features.  I did this yesterday at approximately 11:00 AM.  I was then able to successfully download a 35GB plus file from Bethseda game site, which completed at approximately 8 PM.  I was then able to run a stress test for approximately two more hours (that's when I got the high CPU temp spikes).  No random restarts even with the high CPU spikes during the Prime95 v. 29.xxx default test configuration (blended).  I then restarted just for good measure, left it on all night, basically idle, and no subsequent restart occurred overnight (verified with net stats workstation command).  When I get home I intend to check it out and see if it restarted during the day.  My wife is currently home and is just occasionally checking the Email and surfing.
    post edited by mahenryak - 2019/09/16 15:08:00
    mahenryak
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/16 15:04:29 (permalink)
    DeadlyMercury
    Shouldn't if it works correctly. And there was always issues with chrome HW acceleration on nvidia.

Okay.   Second mention of this.   I am definitely going to check on the Chrome HW Acceleration setting.
    DeadlyMercury
    iCX Member
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/16 15:11:06 (permalink)
    But its affect only chrome (itself or video on sites like youtube), not whole OS.

Stephen Fry
    mahenryak
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/16 15:18:28 (permalink)
    DeadlyMercury
    But its affect only chrome (itself or video on sites like youtube), not whole OS.

True, I did consider this, but I'd like to take care of it since it has come up and while it is still fresh on my mind.  Thank you.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/16 19:22:29 (permalink)
    I think this is a hardware and or thermal issue.  I think you're wasting your time trying to resolve software related issues when it doesn't seem as such but than again, I guess it's not a bad idea to rule all of that out as well.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/16 19:24:26 (permalink)
    mahenryak
    Sajin

I feel a qualified, 'Yes', is in order, here.  Meaning, technically I did not remove it but temporarily disabled the Norton Smart Firewall and Auto-Protect features.  I did this yesterday at approximately 11:00 AM.  I was then able to successfully download a 35GB plus file from Bethseda game site, which completed at approximately 8 PM.  I was then able to run a stress test for approximately two more hours (that's when I got the high CPU temp spikes).  No random restarts even with the high CPU spikes during the Prime95 v. 29.xxx default test configuration (blended).  I then restarted just for good measure, left it on all night, basically idle, and no subsequent restart occurred overnight (verified with net stats workstation command).  When I get home I intend to check it out and see if it restarted during the day.  My wife is currently home and is just occasionally checking the Email and surfing.

Good deal.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/16 20:17:52 (permalink)
    DeadlyMercury

Again, as a user of Chrome and solely NVIDIA products for at least the last 9 years, I strongly disagree.

If you have issues with hardware acceleration, there may be something wrong with your hardware. ;)

mahenryak
    If hardware acceleration is on by default, then yes it is on.

Yes it is on by default. You paid for an expensive video card with hardware acceleration. Why would you not use the hardware acceleration which you paid for?
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2019/09/16 20:20:06

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

mahenryak
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/16 21:56:58 (permalink)
    When I returned home tonight my computer had not restarted all day.  I am going to run a Prime95 v.26 blended stress test tonight.  I have a modest OC setting of 4.6 right now,  following MSI's recommendations in their guide.  I have been monitoring my temperatures and they have been holding steady in the 60s, occasionally touching the low 70s, so I feel fairly safe to let it run tonight.  I realize this is not stressing/testing my graphics card. I'm thinking tomorrow night I can do some stress testing of the graphics card.

I'm just trying to keep the CPU occupied tonight in a relatively safe manner to see how stable it is overnight.  If I am completely missing the boat here, please feel free to chime in.

I will revisit the Chrome hardware acceleration issue another day.  (I did disable it for the time being.  I have to read up on this some more.  ty_ger07 what you are saying does make sense.  This is all new to me.

Edit:
    I ended up with an OC setting of 4.5.  It's been running over an hour now with safe temperatures (currently in the low to mid 60s).  I am going to keep it at this setting overnight, now.
    post edited by mahenryak - 2019/09/16 23:20:13
    DeadlyMercury
    iCX Member
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/17 01:25:17 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    DeadlyMercury

Again, as a user of Chrome and solely NVIDIA products for at least the last 9 years, I strongly disagree.

If you have issues with hardware acceleration, there may be something wrong with your hardware. ;)

Yep, it is on hardware issue. But somehow only in chrome. And somehow with different hardware even on laptops with nvidia gpu.
    Really? :)

Stephen Fry
    mahenryak
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/17 09:12:48 (permalink)
    Hello.  My Prime95 v.26 blended stress test ran for a little over eight (8) hours last night and all seemed well this morning.  CPU temps in the 60's with two cores having a maximum of 80 (remaining core maximums in the low to mid 70s).  This was at an OC of 4.5 (very modest, I know).  The main thing I was trying to do was establish stability with my CPU and memory.  I'm beginning to feel better about things but I'm not completely there, just yet.

Tonight when I return home I'm thinking I'd like to do a modest stress test of the Graphics card.  If you have any suggestions / comments I'd be interested in hearing them.

Edit:
    No random restarts for more than forty-four (44) hours, now.
    post edited by mahenryak - 2019/09/17 09:18:16
    mahenryak
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/17 21:14:21 (permalink)
    Well, I just finished running a couple of different benchmark tests on my GPU followed by about an hour long session in a game (Youngblood).  Absolutely, no issues.  I think it's time to wrap this one up--at least for now.  My PC seems quite stable and I have no complaints about the performance of either the CPU or the GPU at the moment.  
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/17 21:29:26 (permalink)

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/18 10:37:27 (permalink)
    mahenryak
    Well, I just finished running a couple of different benchmark tests on my GPU followed by about an hour long session in a game (Youngblood).  Absolutely, no issues.  I think it's time to wrap this one up--at least for now.  My PC seems quite stable and I have no complaints about the performance of either the CPU or the GPU at the moment.  

Glad to see it was only your Norton - setting - that were causing downloads to fail - not sure why it would cause reboots though

mahenryak
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/18 11:14:55 (permalink)
    Thank you.   I'm not totally convinced it was Norton, either, but disabling it temporarily did seem to coincide with an immediate disappearance of the problem.  This doesn't explain in my mind why then after re-enabling Norton the problem would not resurface.  I suppose it is possible that the time lapse allowed for an update that fixed it but this would seem highly unlikely to me.  It wasn't like there was a prompt to install a patch or anything.  In the end, I am just chalking it up to one of those things. 

I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed, kick back, and enjoy my new pc build for a while and hope for the best.  
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: RTX 2080 Super - Random Restarts 2019/09/18 11:41:48 (permalink)
    mahenryak
    Thank you.   I'm not totally convinced it was Norton, either, but disabling it temporarily did seem to coincide with an immediate disappearance of the problem.  This doesn't explain in my mind why then after re-enabling Norton the problem would not resurface.  I suppose it is possible that the time lapse allowed for an update that fixed it but this would seem highly unlikely to me.  It wasn't like there was a prompt to install a patch or anything.  In the end, I am just chalking it up to one of those things. 

I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed, kick back, and enjoy my new pc build for a while and hope for the best.  

Yep, it's one of those phenomenons.  I've had similar things happen to me before where my GPU wouldn't load up, uninstall, reinstall blah blah back and forth.  Eventually I had to RMA the GPU months later but all is well now.   

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile