EVGA

Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere.

Author
donta1979
Primarch
  • Total Posts : 15886
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 72
2019/09/11 11:31:21 (permalink)
I have gotten very picky on games, I didn't purchase any since the release of the Witcher 3 with all AAA disappointments racking up. The last two 76 and Anthem what dumpster fires... No not the Witcher 3 that game set a new standard that no studio minus Obsidian and Rock Star have been able to come close, that's just for the PC mind you. Well I had been looking at games for weeks, on steam I have looked at 8,478 games and found in my own opinion 8,369 of them to be utter garbage to cash grabs both indy and AAA. Seems to be a growing theme these days. Or if a game is good its really short... Yet people keep justifying it and keep giving these developers their money. The result more trash is put out.

Well here comes Greedfall, I was skeptical at first. Past indy games have been honestly trash... to incomplete just as bad as the dumpster fires the AAA industry throws at us. I do a lot of reading, watch a ton of videos, twitch feeds, the developers teasers to reveals. Well about 5hrs before release I was like well I have been looking for a good long quality game for months. I will bite if worse comes to worse I will get a refund and that will be that, already beat the Witcher games again and will wait patiently for the Outer Worlds next month. 

I pre load the game leave my pc on and go about my day, Well I come back home and I am like well lets give this a spin not expecting to be impressed. To my dismay the game would start at 6fps on the first video info screen then minimize. So I do that update drivers to the last ones released like last month, that didn't work so I did a reboot. Low and behold the game starts up perfectly. Ended up spending a good 2-3hrs in the starter city area, looting everything, exploring every nick and cranny. Doing all the side quest to full completion for the best out comes. I learned choices really do have consequences, you are made to make really hard choices picking the two of lesser evils or saving more people over one. To even being a man of your word. It all has an affect on how you are viewed. What you do in game really matters and you feel for the npc's. You care what happens and how you are viewed as the main hero in this tale. Messed with the crafting a little the options I found really impressive. The world looks amazing. For an indy game this is probably one of the best indy single RPG's I have ran into. The combat I found interesting the more you lvled up the more options/moves you get. The game has 1h/2h melee, kicks, magic, traps/bombs, and guns pistols and rifles. It reminds me of a fantasy Spanish/Nobles explorer game the combat was not as amazing as the Witcher but it is defiantly up there. So far I have put in about ten hours and have not ventured too far from the main city, doing every side quest, exploring every bit of the first gaming area I can. The Story picks up even more the deeper you get into the game, it draws you in like a good book. Surprisingly it was exactly what I was looking for and the bigger surprise it came from an Indy studio. The world is gorgeous, quest are amazing, soundtrack is spot on I do wish they had music going on in the pubs though just for the immersion. It is really flushed out.

Is there any bad? Well a little facial animations in the jaws and mouth are a bit creepy to off how can this be overlooked? Well it is an Indy Studio not a AAA studio that is one of the top three in the business of telling a story and making everything look super amazing for the few that do pull this off. A couple of areas that have a lot going on, like huge battlefield area's with hundreds of corpses some that you can loot, and with quest around the game did drop to 28-40 FPS for me from the regular 70-100.  I could probably reduced that a lot at the cost of some eye candy. Honestly there was not a lot going on to the point it was ruining my experience. Both can be overlooked honestly this is not a AAA Studio. 

So if you want a real surprise, a game that pulls you in like a good book, if you are willing to do all quest and explore every inch of the game, want hard choices that matter, care about what goes on in a game world and its npc's, deep character development not just on the main character but companions and npc's you run into, great combat options, a tactical pause if you want to micromanage combat, customization of your character with their gear, a great soundtrack. A game that can about hold its own with the story of New Vegas, GTA V, The Witcher 3 and the two previous games. This is a good buy, you will be entertained. It has multi option melee, guns, traps and magic combat. This game literally is the sleeper gem honestly with the crap AAA stuff minus one title The Outer Worlds this year it is up there as a contender for game of the year. That is the only game that it will be competing with. In the RPG single player market this game is really a surprise. With steam what do you have to lose if you do not like it, simply get a refund. Trust me this is one of those games that will hit you with a left hook of wow where did you come from.
post edited by donta1979 - 2019/09/11 12:16:45

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
My Build
Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller

26 Replies Related Threads

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/11 11:49:09 (permalink)
    I was waiting on reviews & feedback .  It seemed to be pretty good looking in videos and such, but you never know..so I was waiting.

Good to hear a review from a fair expert in RPG's ....  

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10330
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/11 12:15:07 (permalink)
    Thanks for the review.  I'll be looking at this one later in the year...

chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7220
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/11 12:37:47 (permalink)
    The game doesn't look any good to me, but that is my own opinion. 
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/11 12:50:52 (permalink)
    chrisdglong

Look at it this way if it was so bad to not good, it would not be outselling Gears 5.
    https://store.steampowere...mp;snr=1_4_4__tabsmore
    post edited by donta1979 - 2019/09/11 12:53:06

Heatware   

My Build
    Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/11 13:38:59 (permalink)
    donta1979
    chrisdglong

Look at it this way if it was so bad to not good, it would not be outselling Gears 5.

Doesn't matter to me, I said that "the game doesn't look good TO ME".
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/11 15:28:15 (permalink)
    chrisdglong
    donta1979
    chrisdglong

Then why bother. Just seems like wasted energy on your part to me that does not add anything of worth to the discussion. I respect what you are saying, if this is not your kind of game that you would play. Just seems like wasted time and effort to me. 
    post edited by donta1979 - 2019/09/11 15:34:53

Heatware   

My Build
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/11 16:45:56 (permalink)
    It looks interesting but not up to the graphical level of some new games and the trailer does seem to show the audio and the facial animations are not close. That could be a problem for some but the trailer also looked interesting. It almost looked like a game from about a decade ago watching the trailer but that isn't a bad thing since I play old games and as long as a game is fun with a good story who cares if the graphics are not as nice as some other games? 

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/11 17:22:53 (permalink)
    donta1979
    chrisdglong
    donta1979
    chrisdglong

Then why bother. Just seems like wasted energy on your part to me that does not add anything of worth to the discussion. I respect what you are saying, if this is not your kind of game that you would play. Just seems like wasted time and effort to me. 

Another, "only respond if you agree with me" type of post... This has become an expected staple of the internet... Sadly.
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/11 18:33:16 (permalink)
    chrisdglong
    donta1979
    chrisdglong
    donta1979
    chrisdglong

Another, "only respond if you agree with me" type of post... This has become an expected staple of the internet... Sadly.

Well when you do not give any substance, why put any effort in at all. All you are doing is wasting your own time and effort. Like me say I don't like any of the Asian developed games because to me they all feel the same like an Asian TV drama show, and if they are an mmorpg nine times out of ten they are a grind fest, to other more well known RPG games have stayed to the same formula for years to even decades lacking substance and depth.  Just some examples. At least give some substance if you are going to comment, and don't play the victim when you get called out on it.

Heatware   

My Build
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/11 18:43:42 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    It looks interesting but not up to the graphical level of some new games and the trailer does seem to show the audio and the facial animations are not close. That could be a problem for some but the trailer also looked interesting. It almost looked like a game from about a decade ago watching the trailer but that isn't a bad thing since I play old games and as long as a game is fun with a good story who cares if the graphics are not as nice as some other games? 

Very true, the world is up to par, the facial animations are a bit to be desired haha. A team of about twenty I think it was and a small budget and an indy developer at that. Still impressive when you are wrecking the competition for the month. Graphically it does surpass games from a decade ago, but the facial animations like I said that is about a decade ago and has going going hmm. It amazes me it is out selling everything, even Gears 5. Graphics are probably just under The Witcher 2 to some about on the same level. You might be impressed or you might not. Personally I am, in terms of story, character development it makes DA Inquisition and Fallout 4 look like amateur work.

Heatware   

My Build
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/11 21:25:03 (permalink)
    chrisdglong
    donta1979
    chrisdglong
    donta1979
    chrisdglong

I think the real reason was the post didn't give a reason why you thought the game didn't look good. If you had explained why it wasn't a game you would be interested in then I feel it would have gone over a lot better.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/11 23:15:46 (permalink)
    donta1979
    chrisdglong
    donta1979
    chrisdglong
    donta1979
    chrisdglong

Well when you do not give any substance, why put any effort in at all. All you are doing is wasting your own time and effort. Like me say I don't like any of the Asian developed games because to me they all feel the same like an Asian TV drama show, and if they are an mmorpg nine times out of ten they are a grind fest, to other more well known RPG games have stayed to the same formula for years to even decades lacking substance and depth.  Just some examples. At least give some substance if you are going to comment, and don't play the victim when you get called out on it.

Why are you arguing about this? Seems kind of pointless?
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/11 23:16:59 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    chrisdglong
    donta1979
    chrisdglong
    donta1979
    chrisdglong

I think the real reason was the post didn't give a reason why you thought the game didn't look good. If you had explained why it wasn't a game you would be interested in then I feel it would have gone over a lot better.

Who said that was some kind of requirement to post here? To me, the game doesn't look good. I don't really have to give a reason. 
    Tribbs
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 247
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/12 06:50:46 (permalink)
    Nice, I had been eying it, anyone played this and kingdom Come: deliverance, wondering how they compare as KCD was pretty darn brutal of a learning curve.  
    RainStryke
    The Advocate
    • Total Posts : 15872
    • Ribbons : 60
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/12 08:30:47 (permalink)
    Sounds like an excellent RPG from your review. I'll have to spread the word to friends that enjoy RPG's. I spend like 70% of my time on PUBG, the rest of it is on HOTS and Overwatch... and it's all getting kind of old.

Main PC | Secondary PC
    Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
    ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
    32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
    SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
    Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
    Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

donta1979
    Primarch
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/12 09:13:42 (permalink)
    RainStryke
    Sounds like an excellent RPG from your review. I'll have to spread the word to friends that enjoy RPG's. I spend like 70% of my time on PUBG, the rest of it is on HOTS and Overwatch... and it's all getting kind of old.

Yeah as an rpg its amazing, I have not been able to get interested in shooters anymore. =/ For me at least its been one disappointment after the other. Like I love how BFBC2 up to BF4 felt control/feel wise the newer games feel more CODish, then before paying to unlock stuff we could earn everything. Just tired of paying for a game then having to be told we have to pay more.
    post edited by donta1979 - 2019/09/12 09:23:42

Heatware   

My Build
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/12 09:15:56 (permalink)
    Tribbs
    Nice, I had been eying it, anyone played this and kingdom Come: deliverance, wondering how they compare as KCD was pretty darn brutal of a learning curve.  

I have not played that one, Just seems meh to me, I like it when swords/magic/fantasy/monsters get involved over a more traditional reality scene. The plus of Greedfall there is guns as well haha. Its not too bad the learning curve once you figure out how to kind bind, dodge to block attacks to use your full array of skills greedfall is pretty nice, it is a challenge though.

Heatware   

My Build
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/12 09:20:00 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    chrisdglong
    donta1979
    chrisdglong
    donta1979
    chrisdglong

Bingo, if he would had given a reason contributing to the why it would had gone over a lot better, instead he did not give a reason  "to me" then gets all upset saying I do not want to hear opinions that differ from my own while playing victim. I love hearing opinions to ideals that differ from my own. Just saying to me and not contributing a thing to this post just seems like wasted effort to energy to me.
    post edited by donta1979 - 2019/09/12 09:44:07

Heatware   

My Build
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/12 13:50:42 (permalink)
    Maybe because I do like having conversations with those who have opposing ideals to opinions than my own. Especially when they comment on my post =)
    post edited by Sajin - 2019/09/12 16:58:07

Heatware   

My Build
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/12 15:05:08 (permalink)
    donta1979
    chrisdglong

Why are you arguing? It really doesn't matter. If I say I don't think it looks good to me, why does it matter this much to you? Such a child.

Maybe because I do like having conversations with those who have opposing ideals to opinions than my own. Especially when they comment on my post =) 

Yet, I am sure that if I said, "I think this game is great!", you would have not said anything. Matter fact, you didn't even bother to ask why I did not think the game looked good, you jumped straight on the defense and said that you didn't know why I would even waste my energy... Sorry, but it does appear from your actions that you are just being defensive of a game you think positively about. You can think positive about a game, and your opinion probably holds more weight then mine because you have actually played the game. However, there is no need to get defensive because someone comes around saying they think the game does not "look" good. I have every right to post my opinion here, same as you do.  
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/12 16:04:35 (permalink)
    I just would like to know what about it you do not like or does not appeal to you. I did not go to the defensive I just stated a simple fact that it is out selling everything right now. An Indy title and that is rare... When you say it does not do it for you, normally some context of why is nice. Like I could play it and liked it, but it still might no be a game for you. Just like hardcore FPS players do not care for RPG's to players that just want co-op or massively multiplayer. At least back up your opinion, instead of saying "to me" in bold letters.

Heatware   

My Build
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/12 17:01:40 (permalink)
    Watch the personal attacks. Thanks.
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/12 20:29:01 (permalink)
    donta1979
    I just would like to know what about it you do not like or does not appeal to you. I did not go to the defensive I just stated a simple fact that it is out selling everything right now. An Indy title and that is rare... When you say it does not do it for you, normally some context of why is nice. Like I could play it and liked it, but it still might no be a game for you. Just like hardcore FPS players do not care for RPG's to players that just want co-op or massively multiplayer. At least back up your opinion, instead of saying "to me" in bold letters.

I bought Kingdom Come: Deliverance and didn't like it. Bought Outward and didn't like it. I did like The Witcher, but the other two just felt cheap. This game, from watching game play videos, reminds of Kingdom Come and Outward and not like The Witcher. However, I am still looking at the game and that is why I am here. I am still looking into it. From what I've seen, it doesn't look like something that I would like. 

BTW, there is nothing that says that I cannot respond to a post with "to me". Just like there is nothing that says that you cannot post your opinion. Leave it at that and don't be so sensitive. 
    post edited by chrisdglong - 2019/09/12 20:32:37
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/12 21:49:21 (permalink)
    chrisdglong
    donta1979
    chrisdglong

Why are you arguing? It really doesn't matter. If I say I don't think it looks good to me, why does it matter this much to you? Such a child.

Yet, I am sure that if I said, "I think this game is great!", you would have not said anything. Matter fact, you didn't even bother to ask why I did not think the game looked good, you jumped straight on the defense and said that you didn't know why I would even waste my energy... Sorry, but it does appear from your actions that you are just being defensive of a game you think positively about. You can think positive about a game, and your opinion probably holds more weight then mine because you have actually played the game. However, there is no need to get defensive because someone comes around saying they think the game does not "look" good. I have every right to post my opinion here, same as you do.  

Really "I think this game is great!" would still need more to keep a discussion going. When someone is able to give details about what about it they like or dislike people can talk about it or if you describe what games it's like then people realize it might be a game they would love or want to avoid. Someone could for example say why they love Tetris and how it keeps them thinking and puzzle solving as they play while someone else could say it's just a big time waste with nothing to show for it and no end other then failure. Love or hate Tetris people can share an opinion of the game and a discussion can happen. I mean what is the point of a post if nobody can discuss it?

chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/12 22:54:03 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    chrisdglong
    donta1979
    chrisdglong

Really "I think this game is great!" would still need more to keep a discussion going. When someone is able to give details about what about it they like or dislike people can talk about it or if you describe what games it's like then people realize it might be a game they would love or want to avoid. Someone could for example say why they love Tetris and how it keeps them thinking and puzzle solving as they play while someone else could say it's just a big time waste with nothing to show for it and no end other then failure. Love or hate Tetris people can share an opinion of the game and a discussion can happen. I mean what is the point of a post if nobody can discuss it?

It really doesn't matter? How did this thread become a discussion about someone posting a vague opinion? How does this have you guys so triggered? 
    blackforce
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 883
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Greedfall a sleeper gem that came out of nowhere. 2019/09/23 15:27:10 (permalink)
    cause anything triggers them if you don't like it, and yes i got the game and it is pretty bad for the price it is.
    49.99 which i got it off of greenman gaming for 42.99 but more like a 29.99 game and that's my opinion.
    post edited by blackforce - 2019/09/23 15:29:27
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile