EVGA

Dead 1080ti SC2 Hybrid caused by mouse piss.

Author
nismowa
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/08/25 08:22:52 (permalink)
Good day Forums,

So I just got the email from EVGA that I was hoping not to get. They can't RMA my EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid because of liquid damage. There is a story to this.

It's an Embarrassing story. So I live in the country and my apt is a loft in a barn. So last November I started to smell something strange in my room. I hadnt't cleaned my computer out in like 6 months since I moved. So I open my case up and I found 2 dead mice inside. I'm really anti rgb so I had an old school no window case. So I found them to late. So I took the computer apart and gave everything a cleaning. I wish I had pics but the back of the 1080ti was a cake of dried mouse piss.

So I took the back plate off and cleaned it with Clorox wipes. I didn't see any visible damage. So I put the back plate back on and booted the system up. So I got signal to the DVI port but not HDMI and Display port.

So I removed the card and replaced it with a spare 750ti I had. So 6 months rolls around and I finally send the card in.

So this pass Friday I get that email with pictures of the back of the card and some of the pads show signs of rusting. So that 6 months I didn't use the card things started to rust. :(

So here we are right now. There are a few things I can do. I could beg EVGA for a replacement (I won't), Sell the card as is or find someone that can reflow the pads or keep it and hope that EVGA will do a trade in for old 10 series cards.

I just don't know what to do. I'm disabled vet and don't have much money. Right now I'm using a rx580 and it works but I do miss the 1080ti. So I'm looking for some help.

I can include pics of the dmg on card if wanted.
post edited by nismowa - 2019/08/26 10:10:24

18 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Dead 1080ti SC2 Hybrid caused by mouse piss. 2019/08/25 14:16:36 (permalink)
    nismowa
    Good day Forums,

So I just got the email from EVGA that I was hoping not to get. They can't RMA my EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid because of liquid damage. There is a story to this.

It's an Embarrassing story. So I live in the country and my apt is a loft in a barn. So last November I started to smell something strange in my room. I hadnt't cleaned my computer out in like 6 months since I moved. So I open my case up and I found 2 dead mice inside. I'm really anti rgb so I had an old school no window case. So I found them to late. So I took the computer apart and gave everything a cleaning. I wish I had pics but the back of the 1080ti was a cake of dried mouse piss.
    So I took the back plate off and cleaned it with Clorox wipes. I didn't see any visible damage. So I put the back plate back on and booted the system up. So I got signal to the DVI port but not HDMI and DVI.

So I removed the card and replaced it with a spare 750ti I had. So 6 months rolls around and I finally send the card in.
    So this pass Friday I get that email with pictures of the back of the card and some of the pads show signs of rusting. So that 6 months I didn't use the card things started to rust. :(

So here we are right now. There are a few things I can do. I could beg EVGA for a replacement (I won't), Sell the card as is or find someone that can reflow the pads or keep it and hope that EVGA will do a trade in for old 10 series cards.
    I just don't know what to do. I'm disabled vet and don't have much money. Right now I'm using a rx580 and it works but I do miss the 1080ti. So I'm looking for some help.

I can include pics of the dmg on card if wanted.

Unfortunately a dead card is not very valuable these days. The serial number would already be tagged as a damaged product, so the warranty would definitely be sacrificed at this point.

Due to the Urine as well as the rust, I doubt EVGA would be able to do much even with begging. Unfortunately, I believe the best bet would be to look for a cheaper GPU to purchase, like a used 1080 or a used 1080ti.

Your other option would be to possibly see if someone could take your card and clean, then reflow your card for you for an inexpensive price.
    ShootingFlames
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re: Dead 1080ti SC2 Hybrid caused by mouse piss. 2019/08/25 15:47:36 (permalink)

post edited by ShootingFlames - 2019/08/25 15:51:33

2reel
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Dead 1080ti SC2 Hybrid caused by mouse piss. 2019/08/25 16:18:41 (permalink)
    That really sucks but I don’t think much can be done. I would be trying to find ways to keep them out though since mice and electrics could be a fire hazard.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

nismowa
    Re: Dead 1080ti SC2 Hybrid caused by mouse piss. 2019/08/26 07:58:33 (permalink)
    The card works and I can game on it. The DVI works but the HDMI and DVI ports don't work. I found Eli Tech on youtube and he works on video cards. I just haven't found a way to contact him. This guy is amazing and he fixed a 980ti with a burnt cap or something like that.

I have added pictures to this post of the dmg.

Even dead/dmg 1080ti's are still getting close to $500 on ebay.

Attached Image(s)

nismowa
    Re: Dead 1080ti SC2 Hybrid caused by mouse piss. 2019/08/26 08:07:00 (permalink)
    Pic 2

Attached Image(s)

nismowa
    Re: Dead 1080ti SC2 Hybrid caused by mouse piss. 2019/08/26 08:09:06 (permalink)
    Pic 3

Attached Image(s)

nismowa
    Re: Dead 1080ti SC2 Hybrid caused by mouse piss. 2019/08/26 08:10:31 (permalink)
    Pic 4

Attached Image(s)

aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Dead 1080ti SC2 Hybrid caused by mouse piss. 2019/08/26 08:25:49 (permalink)
    Mouse piss damaging a card has to be a first for me.......

Good luck finding someone to 'fix' it for you .... We'll cross our fingers .

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    nismowa
    Re: Dead 1080ti SC2 Hybrid caused by mouse piss. 2019/08/26 13:00:23 (permalink)
    If I can't find someone in North America to look at the card, I did find an authorized EVGA repair shop in Taiwan that is willing to look at the card. What to do?

I did find some posts from a year or two go that EVGA used to offer to repair or sell a card for a fee. When did this change?

I also like the line about the product needs to be in factory condition. Even if there was no liquid dmg on my card. My rad had a lot of bent fins from handing it. Would my rma be denied? I would of been fine with been charged a service fee. I had $200 set a side for service fees.

I was hoping for the same level of CS I got from Asrock regarding a out of warranty x370 board I had to RMA from the same system that this card came from. Asrock charged me $50 to hand a replacement board. Now that is customer service.

What I learnt is I need to handle my computer with white gloves so I can get RMA service if I need to.

I also didn't expect them to take the card apart. I figured I pay the $20 for the missing stock fan and a refurb card sent to me.
    post edited by nismowa - 2019/08/26 13:39:01
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Dead 1080ti SC2 Hybrid caused by mouse piss. 2019/08/26 16:02:46 (permalink)
    nismowa
    If I can't find someone in North America to look at the card, I did find an authorized EVGA repair shop in Taiwan that is willing to look at the card. What to do?

I did find some posts from a year or two go that EVGA used to offer to repair or sell a card for a fee. When did this change?

I also like the line about the product needs to be in factory condition. Even if there was no liquid dmg on my card. My rad had a lot of bent fins from handing it. Would my rma be denied? I would of been fine with been charged a service fee. I had $200 set a side for service fees.

I was hoping for the same level of CS I got from Asrock regarding a out of warranty x370 board I had to RMA from the same system that this card came from. Asrock charged me $50 to hand a replacement board. Now that is customer service.

What I learnt is I need to handle my computer with white gloves so I can get RMA service if I need to.

I also didn't expect them to take the card apart. I figured I pay the $20 for the missing stock fan and a refurb card sent to me.

You tried to sneak one past QA to make a warranty claim and it didn't pan out for you.  Making sure your computer case is not infested with mice, is hardly 'handling with white gloves'. It's more like,  'p1ssing away a 1080 Ti'... another way to look at it. I'd be kicking myself and embarrassed personally.
    Lastly, get some of these 

Get the stiffest ones you can find. And some 90% or higher IPA. A magnifying glass is very helpful. You should be able to clean every speck of that off. It just takes time.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

nismowa
    Re: Dead 1080ti SC2 Hybrid caused by mouse piss. 2019/08/26 17:27:58 (permalink)
    I was upfront and honest with CS at the time I got the RMA approved. I told them about the dead mouse and that and they still approved it. I had a feeling that I was going to get denied because of the bent fins on the rad but not because of liquid dmg.. I thought they would offer me some options on repairing the card for a fee or offer me an option to buy a refurb card or here is a $50 to $100 credit towards a new card. That would speak volume on so many levels and would keep a card out of the land fill.

Bottom line is this: I just wanted them to test the card and confirm that both the HDMI and Display ports were not working. I do understand that they get hundreds of RMA's a week and the time to test a card is money.

So now I have a nice paper weight or I can sell it on ebay for parts and still come out with enough money for a another used 1080ti hybrid. People are still shelling out 350 to 500 for broken 1080ti's.

Let me explain the white gloves. What I have learnt from this and reading other posts is this. Any dmg to an evga product that isn't a manufacturing defect will most likely be denied by EVGA. I don't blame them but sometimes things happen that are out of the consumers control.

What I learnt is to respect my computer parts and not treat them badly.
    post edited by nismowa - 2019/08/26 17:46:32
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Dead 1080ti SC2 Hybrid caused by mouse piss. 2019/08/26 18:48:48 (permalink)
    water damage from urine is more than plenty of reason to deny an rma. If the mice had urinated on your motherboard as much as the GPU, I don’t know that asrock would have helped you. Did the motherboard have this much damage?

The amount of decay and damage on the card is probably why the ports don’t work. It would not be beneficial for any company to risk installing an obviously damaged product into their test benches for any reason.

EVGA hasn't offered a repair service for a long time. Damage caused on the users end is not covered. The fact EVGA accepted the RMA in hopes that they may be able to assist you after you explained the situation shows that they wanted to help, but the card was unrecoverable from the amount of damage.

Your best bet would be to find someone willing to attempt to fix the card, although it is unlikely that will be 100% possible due to the nature of rodent urine and the damage it can cause. Sending the card to Taiwan, depending on where you live, can be very costly as well.
    bavor
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 994
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Dead 1080ti SC2 Hybrid caused by mouse piss. 2019/08/26 19:21:29 (permalink)
    Do you have renter's insurance?  An expensive video card might be covered.  Especially if you can show them that new GTX 1080 ti Hybrid cards are listed at over $1000 on Amazon and other retailers due to low inventory.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Dead 1080ti SC2 Hybrid caused by mouse piss. 2019/08/26 19:26:50 (permalink)
    Most insurance goes off of MSRP, not inflated prices put forth by people trying to make a buck.
    Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 17474
    • Ribbons : 61
    Re: Dead 1080ti SC2 Hybrid caused by mouse piss. 2019/08/26 19:31:22 (permalink)
    what do you mean the dvi works and you can game on it but the dvi ports don't work?

"The card works and I can game on it. The DVI works but the HDMI and DVI ports don't work."

can't you pair it with another 1080  to sli it and use the video ports on the other card or use the card for back up computer. like a server?

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger" 
    Affiliate Code XZUMV9TJW5
    Associate Code: 7PM43CU71IB2IAP
    education may be expensive but wait until you get the bill for ignorance
    A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
    nismowa
    Re: Dead 1080ti SC2 Hybrid caused by mouse piss. 2019/08/26 19:58:26 (permalink)
    The dmg you see is from after I cleaned the card. It was stored in a high humility room. I don't have A/C so I think that is why rust and corrosion formed. I have seen worse cases then what's on my card be repaired. Youtuber's Eli tech fixes video cards (No way to contact him) and Louis Rossmann fixes macbooks.

Bottom line is I learnt an expensive lesson but thankful there is a market for part cards out there. The reason why I posted this in the first place is because of the knowledge in the forums and in hopes that someone knows of someone that works on video cards.

Either way I know I was going to be denied because one look at the bend fins on the rad and it would of been denied.

Anyways I'm trying to stay positive and all that. I also found someone that will do an ultra sonic cleaning of the card and see if that fixes anything. Also what thickness are the thermal pads on the vram and that?
    nismowa
    Re: Dead 1080ti SC2 Hybrid caused by mouse piss. 2019/08/26 20:04:58 (permalink)
    Delirious
    what do you mean the dvi works and you can game on it but the dvi ports don't work?

I meant Display port. I thought I corrected that in this post.

"The card works and I can game on it. The DVI works but the HDMI and DVI ports don't work."

can't you pair it with another 1080  to sli it and use the video ports on the other card or use the card for back up computer. like a server?

For some reason the DVI port will display video but when I try the Display port or HDMI I get no video. The card works beautifully but I can't use my 4 monitor set up. :(
    bavor
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 994
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Dead 1080ti SC2 Hybrid caused by mouse piss. 2019/09/07 13:03:00 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    Most insurance goes off of MSRP, not inflated prices put forth by people trying to make a buck.

Some Homeowners/Renters insurance policies go by replacement cost not MSRP.  They don't consider used items on eBay/reddit/forums a valid replacement option.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile