EVGA

Does serial number on box match on serial number on card?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Stealth3si
  • Total Posts : 47
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/08/20 16:24:14 (permalink)
I tried to have EVGA customer support lookup a serial number on a box but they said they can find no ship record date information based on that number and asked me for the serial number on the card itself. If they are the same I do not want to open the factory sealed box for nothing. But if they are different then I will open it.

Can anyone kindly verify if the serial number on their (already opened) box is different than (or same as) the card inside?

[URL=http://www.evga.com/regis...filiatecode=XL8QPA2M1H][/URL] 
Antec 300 Illusion Case █ EVGA Supernova 750W B2 █ ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer █ Intel i7-4790k (4.70Ghz @ 1.275V) █ Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU Cooler █ G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (4x4GB) 1866Mhz CL9 █ EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GAMING █ Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, 850 EVO 250GB, 830 Pro 256GB | WD Caviar Green 1TB/2TB █ Logitech K800 Wireless Keyboard █ Logitech G700s Rechargeable Mouse █ Dell S2716DGR 27" 1440p G-Sync █ Sony XBR55X900E 55" 4K HDR LED █ Sound Blaster Z > O2 Amp > Fostex Massdrop Th-X00 Custom Mod █ Denon AVR-X3300W > Ascend HTM-200 SE Bookshelf 5 Speakers █ Windows 10 Pro x64 AU > Ibik Aster Multi-seat Gaming

30 Replies Related Threads

sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2413
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/20 16:28:23 (permalink)
    If it's still sealed why would you think it's not a matched serial number on the card? Why do you not want to open it, are you wanting to resell it?

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/20 16:49:46 (permalink)
    Yes, they should match.
    TxMtb
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/20 17:17:29 (permalink)
    dwexpress
    If it's still sealed why would you think it's not a matched serial number on the card? Why do you not want to open it, are you wanting to resell it?

If EVGA support can't find the serial number from the box and have asked to have the one off the card what are you supposed to do?

I tried to have EVGA customer support lookup a serial number on a box but they said they can find no ship record

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/20 17:29:03 (permalink)
    Stealth3si
    I tried to have EVGA customer support lookup a serial number on a box but they said they can find no ship record date information based on that number and asked me for the serial number on the card itself. If they are the same I do not want to open the factory sealed box for nothing. But if they are different then I will open it.

Can anyone kindly verify if the serial number on their (already opened) box is different than (or same as) the card inside?

Unless there was a mix-up --> serial numbers should be the same ---> Box & Card

What Card where did you buy it ?

Was this an open box "special"

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/20 17:36:09 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Stealth3si

His original post says it's factory sealed so I don't get where the thought comes they wouldn't match. Because they can't find a ship record doesn't mean it's not a valid serial number.
    post edited by dwexpress - 2019/08/20 17:38:54

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/20 17:40:35 (permalink)
    dwexpress
    Cool GTX
    Stealth3si

His original post says it's factory sealed so I don't get where the thought comes they wouldn't match.

2 basic options:

1) "resealed" Return maybe ? --> I'd be worried the card has been "Altered"

2) Factory mistake ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Stealth3si
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/20 18:02:47 (permalink)
    Thanks for confirming!

I bought it from eBay so unless I provide original invoice from authorized reseller to EVGA ( contacted eBay seller today and waiting for the rep from his parent company to reply with original invoice information), I am going to resell it as new unopened item with warranty status as unconfirmed.

dwexpress

I do want to keep it but if there is gonig to be issues with transferrable warranty on it, I do not want to keep a card with no warranty. I would just rather sell it as it is, unopened.

TxMtb
    dwexpress

If EVGA support can't find the serial number from the box and have asked to have the one off the card what are you supposed to do?

I tried to have EVGA customer support lookup a serial number on a box but they said they can find no ship record

I should open it per their request. But if I open the box and the numbers match, which they should according to this thread, that number still won't give a ship date. If it ends up being different, like ane xtra SKU number or letter or something alongside the exact serial number, then maybe it will have a record of a ship date? idk

Cool GTX
    Stealth3si

Unless there was a mix-up --> serial numbers should be the same ---> Box & Card

I bought it off eBay as brand new. He said it bought it for a worker's build or something that never started. It's still factory sealed and see no tampering with the clear plastic.

dwexpress
    Cool GTX
    Stealth3si

Unless there was a mix-up --> serial numbers should be the same ---> Box & Card

His original post says it's factory sealed so I don't get where the thought comes they wouldn't match. Because they can't find a ship record doesn't mean it's not a valid serial number.

I do not know either. EVGA just asked me for the serial number on the card. I don't think I need to open it if the box is sealed. The only reason i would think it is different is because the number on the card itself could have additoinal characters or information beside it??? which meant it might be in their system?? who knows.
    post edited by Stealth3si - 2019/08/20 20:25:55

Antec 300 Illusion Case █ EVGA Supernova 750W B2 █ ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer █ Intel i7-4790k (4.70Ghz @ 1.275V) █ Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU Cooler █ G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (4x4GB) 1866Mhz CL9 █ EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GAMING █ Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, 850 EVO 250GB, 830 Pro 256GB | WD Caviar Green 1TB/2TB █ Logitech K800 Wireless Keyboard █ Logitech G700s Rechargeable Mouse █ Dell S2716DGR 27" 1440p G-Sync █ Sony XBR55X900E 55" 4K HDR LED █ Sound Blaster Z > O2 Amp > Fostex Massdrop Th-X00 Custom Mod █ Denon AVR-X3300W > Ascend HTM-200 SE Bookshelf 5 Speakers █ Windows 10 Pro x64 AU > Ibik Aster Multi-seat Gaming
    jameshulsmann
    • Total Posts : 64
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/21 11:46:54 (permalink)
    My recent 2070S purchase was direct from EVGA and the box itself was not sealed in anyway (it was covered in a plastic-bag like thing, but beyond some tape, it was not "sealed" in any fashion).

Perhaps other places will add shrink wrap or something - or EVGA does so when they sell it to other stores.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/21 13:29:31 (permalink)
    Where did the original buyer get the card from? Even if the box is fully sealed, it is still a second hand purchase, so your invoice will come from the eBay purchase or PayPal receipt, it wouldn’t need the original invoice. The original invoice may assist in finding out where the error is though, but opening the box will not change the warranty information unless the serial number does mismatch on the box and card.

People have taken “brand new products” sealed by the factory, and found that someone had opened the box and switched the product, then resealed it. I am not saying this is what has happened with your card by any means, but factory seals have been bypass before. People are very crafty.

It’s strange to see a card be sold at least 2.. 3.. maybe 4 times, without ever being opened. Seems like it would have been easier to buy one directly from an authorized retailer.
    Stealth3si
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/21 13:29:51 (permalink)
    jameshulsmann
    My recent 2070S purchase was direct from EVGA and the box itself was not sealed in anyway (it was covered in a plastic-bag like thing, but beyond some tape, it was not "sealed" in any fashion).

Perhaps other places will add shrink wrap or something - or EVGA does so when they sell it to other stores.

If you mean the official evga clear sealed tape where the seal is unbroken and prevents you from opening the box without first cutting it or peeling it off, then I would understand it to be factory sealed.

jameshulsmann
    • Total Posts : 64
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/21 14:01:15 (permalink)
    Stealth3si
    jameshulsmann

If you mean the official evga clear sealed tape where the seal is unbroken and prevents you from opening the box without first cutting it or peeling it off, then I would understand it to be factory sealed.

Ahh, I was envisioning something more like shrinkwrap, or something. 
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18926
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/21 19:34:16 (permalink)

Sounds shady af to me. I'd try to return it - if EVGA says it's an invalid serial number, then I'd say the card inside is likely counterfeit. Also, it's EBay... 50/50 chance of getting ripped off there, particularly with relatively high value PC parts.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Stealth3si
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/22 03:55:09 (permalink)
    Nereus

Sounds shady af to me. I'd try to return it - if EVGA says it's an invalid serial number, then I'd say the card inside is likely counterfeit. Also, it's EBay... 50/50 chance of getting ripped off there, particularly with relatively high value PC parts.

I am still waiting on the seller's reply. If I get no response in a week or two I will try to return it.

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/22 04:11:15 (permalink)
    Stealth3si
    Nereus

I am still waiting on the seller's reply. If I get no response in a week or two I will try to return it.

+1 Nereus!! You wait a week or two you might be screwed with ebay/paypal etc... this is the type of thing you handle immediately. The longer you wait the worse its going to look for you cause they are going to wonder why you weren't taking care of it asap.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/22 05:06:31 (permalink)
    wmmills
    Stealth3si
    Nereus

+1 Nereus!! You wait a week or two you might be screwed with ebay/paypal etc... this is the type of thing you handle immediately. The longer you wait the worse its going to look for you cause they are going to wonder why you weren't taking care of it asap.

Yup, act immediately. Don't open it, seller will claim it's not in same condition or you exchanged it for a used card and you'll be stuck with it. This is exactly the sort of crap they do. Contact EBay/Paypal today and say you've been sold a counterfeit GPU and EVGA confirmed the serial number is invalid. Get it in writing (email) from EVGA to confirm. If you open it up, you're likely stuck with it. I'd also send a photo of the serial number badge to EVGA just to be sure they punched it in correctly.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

hellshocker
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 180
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/22 07:20:41 (permalink)
    from the one's I was looking at the a week ago they where coming from warehouse distribution's that was selling these things on Ebay I was going to buy one then I seen who was selling them so I just got my here at EVGA's store I wasn't about to take a chance on a $1500 card not knowing if it was going to be covered by EVGA.   oh and if I was you I wood going for a return ASAP

P55 Classified 200,  CPU: I7 875k @ 4.2 GHz's, EVGA GTX 980 ti hybrid + Obsidian 900D, EK Supreme HF block, black ice gtx xtreme 360,  corsair dominator platinum 8GB 1600MHz,  sound blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty, supernova 1000 p2.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/22 07:27:41 (permalink)
    wmmills
    Stealth3si
    Nereus

Nereus
    wmmills
    Stealth3si
    Nereus

Yup, act immediately. Don't open it, seller will claim it's not in same condition or you exchanged it for a used card and you'll be stuck with it. This is exactly the sort of crap they do. Contact EBay/Paypal today and say you've been sold a counterfeit GPU and EVGA confirmed the serial number is invalid. Get it in writing (email) from EVGA to confirm. If you open it up, you're likely stuck with it. I'd also send a photo of the serial number badge to EVGA just to be sure they punched it in correctly.

This  +1

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/22 10:09:36 (permalink)
    Stealth3si
    Nereus

a week ... NO way 3 days tops

Stealth3si
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/22 14:59:33 (permalink)
    Woo! EVGA located and confirmed the serial number is legit. Turns out it was simply a logistical oversight earlier this month which is why they found no information on it. 

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/22 15:29:18 (permalink)
    Glad that they found the serial number is legit. I think the above posts of being worried and trying to return the product would be the best though if EVGA is ever unable to verify a number. It's better to be safe then sorry when buying from a 3rd party.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/22 15:54:36 (permalink)
    That is fantastic that they found the serial number! I would feel significantly more confident about keeping a product that shows properly in the system :-)
    Stealth3si
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/22 17:05:31 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    Glad that they found the serial number is legit. I think the above posts of being worried and trying to return the product would be the best though if EVGA is ever unable to verify a number. It's better to be safe then sorry when buying from a 3rd party.

That makes sense. So as long as I present my correspondence with EVGA I can still return it even without the seller's consent(?) Good to know.
    the_Scarlet_one
    That is fantastic that they found the serial number! I would feel significantly more confident about keeping a product that shows properly in the system :-)

I am keeping it :)

chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7220
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/22 17:29:10 (permalink)
    You do have to watch Fleabay though. I wouldn't buy anything from Fleabay, personally, because it attracts the scum of the world. 
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/22 18:37:48 (permalink)
    Stealth3si
    Woo! EVGA located and confirmed the serial number is legit. Turns out it was simply a logistical oversight earlier this month which is why they found no information on it. 

That's a relief. Next thing to do is install it and check with GPU-Z to make sure it is what they say it is. Do a couple of benchmarks after that, and as long as the numbers are around what you'd expect for that card, you're good to go.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/22 19:31:21 (permalink)
    +1

Run GPU-Z and confirm card is what it should be

sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/23 03:27:38 (permalink)
    Awesome, thats great, so my previous post was spot on, it was a legit serial number just a miss on there end with it. i had said that because i have had 2 instances of the same issue in years past. Anyway enjoy your card if you keep it.

chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7220
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/26 11:12:45 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    +1

Run GPU-Z and confirm card is what it should be

Yeah, definitely do this ^^^
    devsfan1830
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 165
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/27 12:03:32 (permalink)
    Stealth3si
    Hoggle

That makes sense. So as long as I present my correspondence with EVGA I can still return it even without the seller's consent(?) Good to know.

NOOOO. It merely means you would have had evidence to back up your suspicions about the card. You NEVER, no matter what online store, simply mail a return w/o authorization. You do that and the seller is under no obligation to refund you. For eBay the process is like this. Politely request a return. If i recall correctly, it would have a spot to attach photos. This is where you could attach a screenshot of the EVGA correspondence and/or anything fishy looking about the item. Once a seller accepts the return, they ideally but not always provide the return label. At THAT point, mail the item back. If they dont provide the label, you hafta buy one and enter that tracking info into eBay. This way, there is a record of the request and reason for the return, the sellers acceptance and that it was mailed and arrived to the seller. If the seller refuses a return and/or fails to refund you after authorizing it, you then open a dispute and eBay steps in. All of the above comes with strict time limits. If you miss any one of them you are stuck with what you bought.

ASUS Prime Z370-A / Intel Core i7-8770K / Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (PC4 25600) / EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming/ Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 / Corsair AX1200 1200W PSU / Dell Alienware AW3418DW / Razer BlackWidow Chroma / Razer Deathadder Chroma
    Mavro123
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: Does serial number on box match on serial number on card? 2019/08/28 16:58:39 (permalink)
    Yes, they should match.  Wonder if someone returned and swapped?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile