Gpu boost 4.0

Author
Myersjames93
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 129
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/08/17 15:51:20 (permalink)
Anybody go in the control panel and mess with those settings, if so what’s the best settings to pick to make the graphics card get the most benefit

7 Replies Related Threads

Tech_JoseC
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 383
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Gpu boost 4.0 2019/08/17 16:35:14 (permalink)
    You can't change how GPU Boost 4.0 works, but you apply some changes to your graphics card to get the most out of your EVGA GeForce RTX graphics card. You can first go into the NVIDIA control panel to set power management setting so that the GPU prefers maximum performance. You can check out NVIDIA's guide here https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3130/~/setting-power-management-mode-from-adaptive-to-maximum-performance

You can then go into the Precision X1 software and max out your power limit settings and then try applying a more aggressive fan RPM onto your graphics card so that the temperatures are generally lower. GPU Boost 4.0 benefits from lower temperatures, so the lower your graphics card's temperatures, the better clock speeds you should be able to achieve, of course you are still at the mercy of Silicon lottery, but for the most part you should see some performance uplift.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30991
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Gpu boost 4.0 2019/08/17 16:43:40 (permalink)
    Moving to General Software

Home » All Forums » [Computer Hardware/Software] » General Software

this thread might turn into a discussion about using X1 - however the OP asked about Nvidia Control panel

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Myersjames93
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Gpu boost 4.0 2019/08/17 17:02:51 (permalink)
    How much more power does the graphics card get from doing this? Once I’m back at my pc going to do this hopefully I can get even more,
    Latharion
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 220
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Gpu boost 4.0 2019/08/18 14:57:09 (permalink)
    Myersjames93
    Anybody go in the control panel and mess with those settings, if so what’s the best settings to pick to make the graphics card get the most benefit

By the most benefit, are you referring to the highest quality output, or the most efficient way to run the card with a specific game, or are you looking more for better performance (higher clock speeds and frame rate, etc)?

If you are looking for higher quality, some settings to alter include "texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization"," texture filtering - Quality", "Power management mode" and possibly "threaded optimization" and "vertical sync".  The texture filtering settings usually default to a slightly lower quality setting in order to increase rendering speed at the cost of quality.  The power management mode is normally set to "optimal" which is a compromise between power consumption and power savings.  That setting can be changed to "prefer maximum performance" if the OS is mismanaging the power distribution (the power may fluctuate when the system "thinks" it's idle) in order to make the card ignore "power saving modes".  Threaded optimization can be used to force the graphics card to use multiple cores, if for some reason it is finding it difficult to recognize a system has access to them. 

I set these on a game-by-game basis, although they can also be set globally.

Intel i7 9800X 3.80Ghz (OC to 4.70 Ghz)
    32Gb Gskill Ripjaws (F4-3200C16D-16GVKB) In quad channel running at 3200MHz (XMP enabled)
    EVGA RTX 2070 Super FTW3 Ultra Gaming (with Hydro Copper waterblock)
    EVGA x299 Dark motherboard
    Corsair 5000D Airflow case
    Custom watercooling loop
    Creative X-fi Titanium Soundcard
    2x Samsung 970 Evo NVMe
    1x Professional brand 1TB SSD (Microcenter brand)
    Corsair 850 HXi PS

Myersjames93
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Gpu boost 4.0 2019/08/18 17:54:02 (permalink)
    Ohh ok. I’m also trying get the fastest Boost possible as well, as far as I can see the power management was the setting that could help that but when I messed with that setting my performance was almost exactly the same. I’m on an Aio on the kingpin, 2080 ti,
    Latharion
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 220
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Gpu boost 4.0 2019/08/19 12:59:06 (permalink)
    You are probably wanting to use PrecisionX1 (from EVGA).  It will allow you to alter things like max power, voltage, specify max clock ceiling, create custom fan profiles, etc.  Download it and give it a try.

Nvidia's "GPU Boost 4.0" technology is hardwired in the GPU. The only known way to truly alter it is changing the GPU's BIOS, which can be a bit risky, so only do that if advised or after reading more about how do it, and the pitfalls it make bring with it.

Intel i7 9800X 3.80Ghz (OC to 4.70 Ghz)
    32Gb Gskill Ripjaws (F4-3200C16D-16GVKB) In quad channel running at 3200MHz (XMP enabled)
    EVGA RTX 2070 Super FTW3 Ultra Gaming (with Hydro Copper waterblock)
    EVGA x299 Dark motherboard
    Corsair 5000D Airflow case
    Custom watercooling loop
    Creative X-fi Titanium Soundcard
    2x Samsung 970 Evo NVMe
    1x Professional brand 1TB SSD (Microcenter brand)
    Corsair 850 HXi PS

mudge991
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: Gpu boost 4.0 2019/12/22 18:01:48 (permalink)
    Myersjames93

That stuff is very safe just read the posts - They have very nicely said what setting (maximum performance, ect) you need. For me, I still need better than just water to get the temps to stay below 40c. (avoiding my first clock drop). Haven't tried messing with the BIOS voltage, Small air conditioner is what I'm looking at now.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile