Faint buzzing sound with EVGA Nu when scrolling

Author
stedurlop
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/08/14 15:59:13 (permalink)
Hi,

I just got a EVGA sound card installed a few days ago and love the overall sound.  However, whenever I scroll up and down, whether it be with my mouse wheel or page up/down on my keyboard, there is a static noise for the exact duration that the page moves and it is audible in my in-ear monitor earbuds.  I have a setup where there is a pair of over-ear headphones connected to the rear headphone jack (via 3.5mm to 1/4" extension cable) and in-ear monitors connected to the RCA jacks (via a 3.5mm to RCA extension cable).  I use the software to switch between the two sources.  I have tried unplugging the headphones and leaving just the IEMs in, various different sample rates and other settings that don't interfere with my needs in the software and the 3.5mm to RCA adapter that is included with the card, but nothing seems to help.  I had this same exact setup (with dual headphones attached) on a Asus STX sound card (I know, I know) plugged into the same PCI-e slot and never experienced any interference.  The only change I made to my system itself is simply switching out sound cards.  There a lot of threads around various websites about this issue, but there doesn't seem to be a concrete fix and none that I have seen involving this specific sound card.  I tried a couple of low-level possible fixes but they didn't work, unfortunately.  Worst comes to worst is that I switch back to the Asus sound card, but EVGA is EVGA and ASUS' drivers aren't the best and no longer updated it seems.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Edit:  Another thing to note is this static noise isn't always present when scrolling and the issue seems to happen randomly.
post edited by stedurlop - 2019/08/14 16:06:58

5 Replies Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Faint buzzing sound with EVGA Nu when scrolling 2019/08/14 16:17:09 (permalink)
    It could be linked to the USB bus which both the keyboard and mouse would use as well and the NU Audio. Even though it connects to the PCIe bus it’s still using USB.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

stedurlop
    Re: Faint buzzing sound with EVGA Nu when scrolling 2019/08/14 16:48:46 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply.  On this mobo the top PCI-e x1 (or pretty much on all mobos for that matter) is connected to the DMI.  I would try a PCI-e x16 slot, but those are being populated by my EVGA 1080 Ti Hybrid card and two NVME to PCI adapters.  I could try the other PCIe x1 slot, but that is being populated by a USB extension card and from past experience with my Asus sound card and the same EVGA graphics card there is a crazy amount of interference on that slot.  Plus, I installed a Cold Zero back plate on the Nu sound card, so it wouldn't fit. I am going to try my mouse on the extension card to see if that helps, but it isn't a permanent solution since those two USB slots are for my keyboard and keypad to make sure the LEDs shut off fully with the computer.  Otherwise, I have to mess with the ErP settings, which messed with the LEDs on my other peripherals.
    LCaldas
    • Total Posts : 69
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Faint buzzing sound with EVGA Nu when scrolling 2019/08/14 17:21:39 (permalink)
    Try another slot?
    stedurlop
    Re: Faint buzzing sound with EVGA Nu when scrolling 2019/08/14 17:40:46 (permalink)
    I can't really, since the cards that I have need to stay in their slots.  I could try another one, but odds are the interference would still be preset to some degree.  Plus, I would just have to move it back to the top slot anyway.  If I had to guess, there is something wrong with the shielding or wiring of the card, but can't know for sure.  Hoping it can be resolved by some other means outside of what I have tried or can't try due to my configuration.  Either way, it should work on any PCI-e slot theoretically without interference.
    LCaldas
    • Total Posts : 69
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Faint buzzing sound with EVGA Nu when scrolling 2019/08/15 04:37:51 (permalink)
    Maybe a Ground problem
    Or a PSU with a Filter problem?
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile