Intel I7 965 Extreme
12 GB RAM
HD 7950 GPU
Cooler Master 1200 W Gold PSU
BIOS version 6.00
Windows 10 Pro
Intel 530 SSDs in RAID 0 for system
WD 1 TB drives in RAID 1

I built this right after X58 came out.  Been a workhorse ever since.  Only upgrade Ive done is upgrading my GPU to the 7950 years ago.

This happens every time.  Nothing was changed.

Heres what it does.  Since this started I have updated my GPU driver and replaced the CMOS battery.

Will not power on.  If I unplug it then plug it back in it will boot sometimes , but every time it does it just quickly powers up for maybe 1 second then goes dead then re powers back up and boots.  When it does power on I get a single short beep when POST and nothing on the LED codes saying anything is wrong.   Its running right now bouncing back and forth between code 33 and 34.  About 75 % of the time the POST message of [ forget exact wording ] CMOS has been reset hit delete to setup BIOS or xxxx to load defaults.  Every time the time in the BIOS is wrong even though I have replaced the mobo battery with a new one.  and I have to reconfigure all my BIOS settings.

I have ran every test I can think of.  PSU , RAM overnight , I can even stress test it whatever way ( CPU / GPU etc) and it seems fine.  Until I turn it off.

Blue standby light and others seem to work fine.  When it will not turn on the blue standby mobo light is on so mobo is in standby getting power but neither the case or mobo power buttons will make it start.  The only thing I can do to get it to start is unplug or switch off the PSU and turn it back on.  Sometimes this takes multiple tries.  And then when it does boot it goes into the CMOS reset - have to redo BIOS settings and overtime the clock is off.

Im at a loss now.  Any ideas ?

Much thanks

10 Replies Related Threads

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: EVGA FTW3 X58 Weird Power Issues 2019/08/06 10:42:11 (permalink)
    Fplat
    Hello all,

EVGA FTW3 X58
    Intel I7 965 Extreme
    12 GB RAM
    HD 7950 GPU
    Cooler Master 1200 W Gold PSU
    BIOS version 6.00
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel 530 SSDs in RAID 0 for system
    WD 1 TB drives in RAID 1

I built this right after X58 came out.  Been a workhorse ever since.  Only upgrade Ive done is upgrading my GPU to the 7950 years ago.

This happens every time.  Nothing was changed.

Heres what it does.  Since this started I have updated my GPU driver and replaced the CMOS battery.

Will not power on.  If I unplug it then plug it back in it will boot sometimes , but every time it does it just quickly powers up for maybe 1 second then goes dead then re powers back up and boots.  When it does power on I get a single short beep when POST and nothing on the LED codes saying anything is wrong.   Its running right now bouncing back and forth between code 33 and 34.  About 75 % of the time the POST message of [ forget exact wording ] CMOS has been reset hit delete to setup BIOS or xxxx to load defaults.  Every time the time in the BIOS is wrong even though I have replaced the mobo battery with a new one.  and I have to reconfigure all my BIOS settings.

I have ran every test I can think of.  PSU , RAM overnight , I can even stress test it whatever way ( CPU / GPU etc) and it seems fine.  Until I turn it off.

Blue standby light and others seem to work fine.  When it will not turn on the blue standby mobo light is on so mobo is in standby getting power but neither the case or mobo power buttons will make it start.  The only thing I can do to get it to start is unplug or switch off the PSU and turn it back on.  Sometimes this takes multiple tries.  And then when it does boot it goes into the CMOS reset - have to redo BIOS settings and overtime the clock is off.

Im at a loss now.  Any ideas ?

Much thanks

Time to change the CMOS battery. And done.

Gah....how did I miss that in your first post....

I'd do it again or make sure the replacement is good because your explanation mimics a bad CMOS battery.
    post edited by HeavyHemi - 2019/08/06 12:37:26

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: EVGA FTW3 X58 Weird Power Issues 2019/08/06 11:53:58 (permalink)
    Sounds like the motherboard is going haywire if you replaced the cmos battery with a known good battery, and tried using a different psu.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102300
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: EVGA FTW3 X58 Weird Power Issues 2019/08/06 12:05:57 (permalink)
    Sounds like the motherboard or a cold boot issue with the PSU

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Fplat
    • Total Posts : 3
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: EVGA FTW3 X58 Weird Power Issues 2019/08/07 13:57:32 (permalink)
    Thank you guys / gals.

I tried replacing the CMOS battery again with a brand new one and it still has the time off on the BIOS.
    I did " test " the PSU with a PSU tester and everything checked out according to the tester but I have not yet swapped PSUs to 100 % rule it out yet.  I think that's gonna have to be my next step.

rjohnson11
    Sounds like the motherboard or a cold boot issue with the PSU

If I am having a cold boot issue which after researching some stuff about warm vs cold boot problems it seems a very good possibility , but if so it would only be PSU related right ?

Either way I guess Ill be swapping PSUs...  Ugh , I took so much time to run all the wiring so nice and perfect.

Thanks again
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102300
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: EVGA FTW3 X58 Weird Power Issues 2019/08/08 03:32:31 (permalink)
    Yes if you swap out the PSU and all is well you have found your problem. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Fplat
    • Total Posts : 3
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: EVGA FTW3 X58 Weird Power Issues 2019/08/08 05:21:40 (permalink)
    OK so a new thing happened.  Sorry if this is still same issue.  Dreading the PSU swap.   When I do that I might as well just swap - test - and then remove and replace everything in my case to clean it out some and be able to run all my wires correctly.  The big 24 pin is a PITA with the Thermaltake Level 10 case I have. 

Yesterday I updated Windows.  Of course it needed a restart.  I hit restart and it restarted and did not do the on off on off then on POST.  Instead  It started powering normally but then went to the CMOs has been reset - del to BIOS or F to load defaults.  In the BIOS the time was correct even though there was a 5 min gap between when I saw it start correctly and then walked back in the room and saw the CMOS message.

So even with no power cycling or cold boot it still could not hold the correct BIOS time.

I'm going to swap the PSU either way but is there anything I can also test on the mobo ?  Ive tried two brand new batteries even different brands.
    Neutro
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 436
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re: EVGA FTW3 X58 Weird Power Issues 2019/08/08 08:31:37 (permalink)
    Hi,

If you tried 2 different new batteries it's probably not the source of the problem.

Did you try to manually force a cmos reset anyway using the cmos reset button? Probably won't do anything but it's worth a try.

In these weird type of problems you wanna remove your motherboard from your case, remove everything from it including processor, memory ect then give it a good clean with air dust cleaner / isopropyl. While you do this unplug your PSU cord so it stays off AC for at least 30 mins and give time to the big condensators to discharge completely.

Check for any damage on the motherboard: bent CPU pins, component rust, anything. Change thermal paste on northbridge, southbridge and VRMs if needed. 

If everything is ok after cleaning and still outside your case put only the CPU, 1 stick of ram, video card, PSU, keyboard and nothing else then see how it goes. Also check that northbridge, VRMs and CPU temperature are in the green.

If the problem still occurs try to swap stuff like PSU, ram stick and CPU if you can.

If after all that it still happens then it's probably the motherboard. The X58 ones are 10 years old so that could be it. Well i hope mine which i'm still running on wont die soon tho 

If you registered your motherboard on EVGA website when you bought it it might still be under limited lifetime warranty (with a few time left) so it's worth checking as well ;)
    post edited by Neutro - 2019/08/08 08:35:42

9900k / EVGA Z370 FTW / 4070 FE / Corsair DDR4 3200 Mhz 16GB / Phanteks P600S / EVGA Supernova 1200 P2 / WD SN850 1 TB / Asus PG248Q - pix
    Chopper3200
    • Total Posts : 28
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: EVGA FTW3 X58 Weird Power Issues 2019/08/08 08:43:19 (permalink)
    I would try reseating the BIOS chip  the non power on issue could be a component flakeing out and shorting.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA FTW3 X58 Weird Power Issues 2019/08/08 08:52:24 (permalink)
    +1

Remove MB, inspect & test on non-conductive surface with a Minimum of hardware

So, once it Is Running --> it works well ?

Tin whiskers - can cause all sorts of issues

Bad CMOS switch ?

How many profiles does this MB CMOS hold ?

BIOS -dance

1) Save default settings
    2) reboot
    3) edit BIOS & save
    4) reboot

Remember to turn Windows 10 Fast Startup OFF, when upgrading drivers, firmware or hardware

Windows Central - How to disable Windows 10 fast startup (and why you'd want to)

How-to Geek The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: EVGA FTW3 X58 Weird Power Issues 2019/08/13 20:26:53 (permalink)
    Okay, if your  BIOS will not even hold the correct time after setting it, you have a major malfunction somewhere. Solve that first.
    post edited by HeavyHemi - 2019/08/14 00:44:44

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile