NU Audio Dolby Digital Live support query

Author
zCybeRz
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/07/29 14:36:33 (permalink)
Hi,

EVGA is known as a gaming brand, so it would make sense to support surround sound for games. Games output in PCM and can't pre-encode the stream because the sounds are on demand. As well as this, optical toslink doesn't have enough bandwidth for PCM 5.1, so the raw audio must be encoded on the fly to a compressed surround format - this is called Dolby Digital Live for Dolby and DTS connect for DTS.

The recent addition of nahimic virtual surround is nice - but it's only for headphones and doesn't seem as good as Dolby Headphone or DTS Headphone:X. Currently there isn't support for users with a Dolby/DTS receiver - whether that's a 5.1 setup or a headphone amp with it's own surround processing.

So my question is - is Dolby Digital Live ever going to be supported? If not, what's the reasoning? Is it a licensing (cost) issue? A technical difficulty with porting the encoder to an XMOS core? Something else?

Thanks

8 Replies Related Threads

_JoseR
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 826
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: NU Audio Dolby Digital Live support query 2019/08/02 08:23:54 (permalink)
    Don't have an answer for this one but perhaps one of our guys in product management may be able to shed some light on this. 
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: NU Audio Dolby Digital Live support query 2019/08/02 08:37:26 (permalink)
    The only digital output on the card is the S/PDIF TOSLINK port; which you say has too low of bandwidth to support 5.1 surround. Therefore, I think that you have answered your own question. If there are no connections on the card which support analog or digital 5.1 surround, how could you connect your receiver to the card? The RCA connectors on the card are analog RCA and not capable of digital coaxial. The card supports virtual surround, which is just crappy stereo fake surround; which most serious gamers know is worse than stereo for gaming audio enemy localization.

So, I would recommend that you treat the card as a stereo card and nothing more. The virtual surround is useless to any gamer. Any gamer who doesn't know that it is useless, hasn't tested it enough.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2019/08/02 08:41:52

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: NU Audio Dolby Digital Live support query 2019/08/02 09:24:54 (permalink)
    zCybeRz
    Hi,

EVGA is known as a gaming brand, so it would make sense to support surround sound for games. Games output in PCM and can't pre-encode the stream because the sounds are on demand. As well as this, optical toslink doesn't have enough bandwidth for PCM 5.1, so the raw audio must be encoded on the fly to a compressed surround format - this is called Dolby Digital Live for Dolby and DTS connect for DTS.

The recent addition of nahimic virtual surround is nice - but it's only for headphones and doesn't seem as good as Dolby Headphone or DTS Headphone:X. Currently there isn't support for users with a Dolby/DTS receiver - whether that's a 5.1 setup or a headphone amp with it's own surround processing.

So my question is - is Dolby Digital Live ever going to be supported? If not, what's the reasoning? Is it a licensing (cost) issue? A technical difficulty with porting the encoder to an XMOS core? Something else?

Thanks

There are currently no plans to support Dolby Digital Live.
    zCybeRz
    Re: NU Audio Dolby Digital Live support query 2019/08/02 12:07:49 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    The only digital output on the card is the S/PDIF TOSLINK port; which you say has too low of bandwidth to support 5.1 surround. Therefore, I think that you have answered your own question. If there are no connections on the card which support analog or digital 5.1 surround, how could you connect your receiver to the card? The RCA connectors on the card are analog RCA and not capable of digital coaxial. The card supports virtual surround, which is just crappy stereo fake surround; which most serious gamers know is worse than stereo for gaming audio enemy localization.

So, I would recommend that you treat the card as a stereo card and nothing more. The virtual surround is useless to any gamer. Any gamer who doesn't know that it is useless, hasn't tested it enough.

S/PDIF out supports compressed 5.1 formats such as Dolby Digital, so the card could output 5.1 from games if it had Dolby Digital Live encoding - hence my question. It can already output 5.1 if the content is pre-encoded such as films.

I am a gamer and I find the spatial differentiation to be much better on both true 5.1 and virtual than from a stereo source. My preference is 5.1 > Dolby Headphone > DTS Headphone > Nahimic > Stereo. If thousands of game hours isn't enough to have tested it then I don't know what is. In my experience downsampling any content from a high entropy source almost always yields a better result than the lower entropy baseline. In this case the source contains more spatial information so the result retains more of it - unless the game is creating the stereo source using positional information, but that in itself is just virtual surround.

Anyway the question has been answered below - thank you. I hope a future product will support true surround output.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: NU Audio Dolby Digital Live support query 2019/08/02 12:33:14 (permalink)
    I would recommend that you take a look at the Sound Blaster AE-5 and AE-7.  They are both newer, cheaper, and have discreet 5.1 surround sound capability.

I am a gamer and I find the spatial differentiation to be much better on both true 5.1 and virtual than from a stereo source.

I think that you are nuts.  From my experience with FPS games, multiple virtual surround products I have tested are terrible in comparison to stereo.  It's almost as if they try too hard to create presence and difference, that they end up creating echos and confusion about the location of the source of the sound.

The game developer hired a sound design team which spent months or years perfecting the sound and the way it is delivered to the gamer in stereo.  Virtual surround is still stereo.  Virtual surround is just some other team of people who know nothing about the game changing the delivery time of the sound, adjusting volume, and applying filters and affects to the sound to make it different in the way that they see fit.  If you can find an example where some unaffiliated team who knew nothing about the game applied the right filters which made a virtual surround effect which better provided spatial sound localization in the game compared to the developer's, well, feel free to share your example.

Or, maybe you think that virtual surround "sounds better".  Ok, fine.  That is your opinion.  But sounding better has nothing to do with proper spatial sound localization.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2019/08/02 12:43:44

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

jasoncodispoti
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 628
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: NU Audio Dolby Digital Live support query 2019/08/02 13:53:17 (permalink)
    I dont believe that Dolby Digital Live (DDL) has been a relevant product for a long time... DDL is simply an encoding algorithm that takes an audio signal from say a PC game and converts into a compressed Dolby Digital 5.1 signal that can than be transferred over a S/PDIF cable. As you mentioned S/PDIF only has enough bandwidth to be able to transfer either two channel PCM or compressed Dolby Digital/DTS audio. If the game in question is capable of producing a Dolby Digital 5.1 audio signal than the NU Audio card should have no issue outputting said signal. DDL would only come into play with games that are not capable of producing a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal, instead the DDL encoder would take the audio and convert it to Dolby Digital.

DDL essentially creates virtual surround AKA fake surround sound. While I do agree that some games do benefit from the Audio Immersion effect that virtual surround can create it is often times "muddy" at best, virtual surround IMO is more of a marketing ploy and not a substitute for real surround sound. When it comes to FPS games most people that I know actively disable virtual surround as it is near impossible to actually be able to tell where your opponent is at due to this "muddy" affect that it creates. 

Adding something like this to the NU Audio Card would go against its core purpose IMO and would be something that I would expect to find on a Creative Sound Card, not on a high end audiophile card. 

Intel Core i7-9800x | EVGA X299 Dark| EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | EKWB Liquid Cooled Loop | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2

zCybeRz
    Re: NU Audio Dolby Digital Live support query 2019/08/02 15:12:23 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    I would recommend that you take a look at the Sound Blaster AE-5 and AE-7

Thanks, these are actually what I was looking at, but I liked the idea of having an EVGA card to match the rest of my build =). I wont go on to debate types of virtual surround, my opinion is that Dolby Headphone is the best I've used, but I would still have liked to output 5.1 for my surround setup.

jasoncodispoti
    I dont believe that Dolby Digital Live (DDL) has been a relevant product for a long time

As far as I know games don't encode into Dolby because they need to pay licensing fees to do it. It makes more sense for more expensive sound card hardware to include it. It's been slowly dying out along with PCIe soundcards since audiophiles get external soundcards, 5.1 setups usually use analog, and headset makers started putting a USB soundcard attached to their headset - avoiding the requirement for users to also have a DDL card. Personally I still like to use my 5.1 setup and occasionally a Dolby Headphone encoder - as I have said I think it's better than the other options.

I have seen a few other posts asking about DDL support, so it's not just me who still uses it!

I kind of agree on your points on audiophile card, however I also see an EVGA card that matches my gaming GPU with RGB lights - aesthetically this thing screams gamer card. Besides that, EVGA just added virtual surround processing from Nahimic "for gamers". I was hoping it would cover both use cases.
    Andy_9_9_9_9
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: NU Audio Dolby Digital Live support query 2020/06/19 06:54:50 (permalink)
    There seems to be a lot of confusion what DDL is in this thread. It is not fake surround at all. Windows DirectX written games for example, produce surround sound (positional audio) going to multiple channels, in many cases connected via multiple analog cables. DDL encodes this (true not fake) surround into dolby digital transmittable over SPDIF coaxial or optical. It has to do that, because otherwise bandwidth would not be sufficient for 5.1 or 7.1 channels. This feature comes in handy if you get interference's for example and you want digital output via optical. If a game only outputs stereo, yes, than it would be fake virtual sound. But there is many games that don't have the dolby encoding capability (the majority) but do output surround sound. If you watch a movie for example, that is already encoded, its signal is merely passed thru, so you can hear the movie in 5.1, 7.1 or whatever because the receiver will decode it. I hope this explains, that it is not a fake feature and there is actually some use for it.

Me personally I like playing via my receiver with 4 Denon SCM40 speakers around me plus 1 subwoofer (4.1 being handled by the receiver to compensate for the missing center). Alternatively i play over headphone, which would then use Dolby Headphone or something similar transforming the multiple surround channel into a 2 channel signal providing a surround illusion. Some games have support built-in for this, in other cases the card/drivers would have to handle this. But this it not a fake surround sound either, because at the end of the day, most of us have 2 ears to listen with.

If I understand the NU audio card's features correctly it does not provide these (gaming) features like DTS or Dolby Digital Encoding or Dolby Headphone, so the game would have to provide it. If the game doesn't provide it, you could connect your motherboard's digital out, if the motherboard's audio has those features. I think EVGA could license the features and put their logos on their package if they see a market for that. Windows 10 added their own headphone surround feature, called spatial sound and that should work with the NU audio if playing over headphone.
    post edited by Andy_9_9_9_9 - 2020/06/19 07:33:05
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile