EVGA

CLC280 Issue, massive post...

Author
Silhouettedemon
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/07/21 07:42:38 (permalink)
Hi, this isn't going to be short...sorry. This could be a much shorter post but thought i'd get everything out just in case.

If your an IT genius and fancy a test..read on

I sold my 2018 full spec imac to make a photo editing workhorse for my photography business. I also love gaming. Simple decision - sell imac make pc - life will be good, pc masterace t shirt watched on ebay..bring it on.

ahem..

I built my first pc a few months ago - asus z370 f gaming, evga1080ti ftw3, 16gb corsair pro ram, i7 8700k, evga clc280, evga supernova 750 g2 psu, hzxt 500 case, 2gb ssd storage and m.2 for windows 10 pro 64, asus 165hz gaming monitor

All worked great, cpu fan spinning in bios, low temps..could never connect to flow control though..never bothered me, just changed the fan speed curve in bios.

Random cpu fan error on boot, no fan picture spinning in bios but fans physically spinning and low temps, couldn't connect to flow control. Had to set cpu fan to ignore to make it boot. RMA, went through suggestions with them, sent mine off, got a brand new unit. They said the one i sent back works fine..hmm

Same issues

(as i use the pc for photography editing i bought the expensive benq sw320 monitor,it requires a separate calibrator you put on the screen and it gives you perfect adobe rgb colours, never held the calibrations so went through RMA with them (80 emails and counting), now on my 3rd replacement monitor, still makes weird calibrations, i.e useless, the ones i sent back though they say work fine)

Figured it was something else at this point, like the motherboard - dropped a tonne of cash on my new system the past few weeks and made a new build psu ,clc280 and ram came too -

Asus z390 Maximus XI Code, I9 9900k, 32gb corsair pro ram, evga supernova 750 g2 psu, clc280 aio, fractal design meshify c case, 4tb ssd, m.2 for windows 10 pro 64, asus 165hz gaming monitor - No graphics card as 1080ti from before is too big (doh!) waiting on a new one, using cpu graphics so far for this.

When i started it, cpu fan error :(!! Set to ignore in bios, installed windows on m.2 (brand new), no drives connected bar m.2
After installing all drivers and updates i tried calibrating the benq monitor..nope, makes the screen look orange and fails its own validation calibration at the end..i cry a little at this point..how can this be!!!!!???

VERY LONG troubleshooting with my friend commences - reset cmos, everything plugged in right, all drives unplugged, ram tested one stick at a time etc etc
Calibrator device (xrite i1 display) tested on girlfriends laptop to asus monitor, using its own software worked fine, meaning the calibrator works fine. You don't use the xrite software on the benq, it has its own software and saves the calibration to the monitor not the pc.

TURNS OUT i had plugged the 'to motherboard' cable from the clc to cpu fan instead of the aio pump header and also the usb cable from the clc into the aio pump header. Pretty sure the vague evga videos on this said to do that! 
So, this explains why flow control has never worked.

The 'to motherboard' cable now goes to the aio pump header and the usb cable goes to a usb 2 header.

Still the same, fans are running at full and cpu is cool but don't see cpu fan spinning in bios, cpu fan error on boot

Reinstalled flow control, Device not found, same message i've ever seen

As i didn't have it plugged in right the first time and also set a curve on the cpu fan to make the fans quieter..have i damaged the CLC280??

One forum post i saw said something about and asustek usb driver in device manager, its not there for me (see attached pic)

With regards to my benq monitor i can only hope this has some knock on effect to that, although highly unlikely

please help :(

Attached Image(s)

4 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: CLC280 Issue, massive post... 2019/07/21 10:37:16 (permalink)
    Lets see if we can Help

Any Errors in Device Manager ?

---->  Remember to turn Windows 10 Fast Startup OFF, when upgrading drivers, firmware or hardware

Windows Central - How to disable Windows 10 fast startup (and why you'd want to)

How-to Geek The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode

See FAQ 59704

If you are receiving an error message when trying to install EVGA Flow Control or have
    disconnecting issues while using the software please try the following steps:

We recommend connecting the CLC fan header to the CPU1 or CPU2 header on your motherboard.

Make sure the fan header setting in BIOS is set to MAX or 100%. Do not use a PWM fan <------- this
    curve for the header you connect the CLC to.

If your motherboard has a fan header designated for a "Pump" you should connect the CLC
    fan header to this specific location.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: CLC280 Issue, massive post... 2019/07/21 10:45:15 (permalink)
    Do you have the USB cable connected to the CLC? Also is your version of windows fully updated? I would try a different header for the USB if possible. As for the motherboard header keep in mind that you also have the pump power not just fan speed. I know on my ASUS motherboard I had to disable the CPU fan speed check to get my system to boot since it was showing too low as it was trying to monitor the pump.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Silhouettedemon
    Re: CLC280 Issue, massive post... 2019/07/21 11:43:04 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Lets see if we can Help

Any Errors in Device Manager ?

---->  Remember to turn Windows 10 Fast Startup OFF, when upgrading drivers, firmware or hardware

Windows Central -                         How-to Geek

See

If you are receiving an error message when trying to install or have
    disconnecting issues while using the software please try the following steps:

We recommend connecting the CLC fan header to the CPU1 or CPU2 header on your motherboard.

Make sure the fan header setting in BIOS is set to MAX or 100%. Do not use a PWM fan <------- this
    curve for the header you connect the CLC to.

If your motherboard has a fan header designated for a "Pump" you should connect the CLC
    fan header to this specific location.

Thanks for the reply.

As per the picture i attached, no errors in DM

I have just turned off fast boot in bios and control panel. Uninstalled flow control and led sync, rebooted, reinstalled flow control, still device not found.

The TO MOTHERBOARD cable is going to my AIO PUMP header - Fans are at full speed
    USB from CLC is going to a USB 2 Header on the board.
    Silhouettedemon
    Re: CLC280 Issue, massive post... 2019/07/21 12:06:01 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    Do you have the USB cable connected to the CLC? Also is your version of windows fully updated? I would try a different header for the USB if possible. As for the motherboard header keep in mind that you also have the pump power not just fan speed. I know on my ASUS motherboard I had to disable the CPU fan speed check to get my system to boot since it was showing too low as it was trying to monitor the pump.

Hi there, thanks for helping out!

The TO MOTHERBOARD cable is going to my AIO PUMP header - Fans are at full speed PWM
    AIO Pump in bios is PWM 100%
    USB from CLC is going to a USB 2 Header on the board.

Windows is fully updated.

I've tried another usb header. I also used a micro usb to usbA cable from the clc to a back usb input on the case. No dice

I've had to set the cpu fan speed to ignore in the bios, to make it boot.

When i first set this up in my first build, the cpu fan picture was spinning in the bios with the fan speed readout, surely that's what you want??
    post edited by Silhouettedemon - 2019/07/21 12:14:30
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile