EVGA

GTX 1080 Gaming HYBRID Pump died, how to fix without sacrificing aesthetics?

Author
SaltedLevity
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/07/15 12:37:29 (permalink)
Hello! New here so apologies for the rough post.

Back on Black Friday of 2016 I purchased a PC with two GTX 1080 Hybrid AIO cards, SLI and all that.
A little less than a year later, the pump in one of them died. I'm about 90% sure it's only the pump itself, computer still reads both cards fine, it's just one doesn't get cooled and if i do anything other than idle it overheats. Touch the tubes and the working one I can feel the subtle vibrating of it working, other one does nothing. Took the offending card out, computer runs fine.

For a variety of personal reasons, the dead pump card has been sitting in a closet collecting proverbial dust (not really, it's clean), and I'm itching now to get it fixed and working properly. Obviously, not in warranty anymore. For the sake of posterity, I did try replacing the thermal paste on it to boot.

Now here's the thing, from what I gather, replacement pumps aren't made anymore. But what I'm hoping to do is find some way to get it AIO cooled again without sacrificing the matching aesthetic (it's a little silly, but two of the same cards in the PC, I want them to look the same!). I know there's some off-brand ones like NZXT with the GPU adapter, but then the two cards will look vastly different. It bothers me.

Part of me wonders if I could use the cooling component from the 2080 kit, and the existing shell portion I already have:  ?
I mean from product images it looks like it might, the actual mount portion looks identical, but that's super subjective. But I don't actually know if the mounting would be the same or if for some reason it just wouldn't be compatible from a cooling standpoint?

Was curious if anyone had any thoughts on the predicament, or knew from a technical standpoint if the the 2080 pump wouldn't work on a 1080 card. (I know it doesn't list it as compatible, but I don't know if that's a "we don't support this" type of listing, because warranty, or a flat "nope, won't work" listing!)

Technical info of my cards:
Part Number: 08G-P4-6188-BR
Description: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming, 08G-P4-6188-BR, 8GB GDDR5X, HYBRID & LED

17 Replies Related Threads

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11083
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: GTX 1080 Gaming HYBRID Pump died, how to fix without sacrificing aesthetics? 2019/07/15 13:09:42 (permalink)
    I am not sure about the 20xx series pumps, but I have 9xx and 10xx pumps (Hybrid kits) and the pumps are indeed the same
    So if you can find used or new old stock it will work
    Other option is like the NZXT bracket and corsair AIO that will work with the bracket (Some other AIO work)
    There are also other brickets and AIOs out there that will work
    Or get a full water block and go custom loop. Very good option I believe.
    Find a used, dead air cooled card on ebay and convert yours to air cooling using the fans and heat sinks.
    Sell the cards you have and upgrade to a 20xx series cards

That's about all the options I can think of.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

SaltedLevity
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: GTX 1080 Gaming HYBRID Pump died, how to fix without sacrificing aesthetics? 2019/07/15 13:22:30 (permalink)
    bill1024
    Other option is like the NZXT bracket and corsair AIO that will work with the bracket (Some other AIO work)
    There are also other brickets and AIOs out there that will work 

Thanks for the response!

Do you know what these are off the top of your head? If the bracket i have with my card can work with the NZXT CPU cooler, that's an option i'd consider provided i could use my existing 1080 shell, but I didn't think it would fit?

If you've heard of anyone who's done something like this, would love to read their post!
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11083
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: GTX 1080 Gaming HYBRID Pump died, how to fix without sacrificing aesthetics? 2019/07/15 17:12:00 (permalink)
    You can read the info to see all the AIO coolers it supports.  I think another Co. make a bracket, but I can not remember off hand.
    I do see some cheaper on ebay if you use ebay 
    This is one
     https://www.newegg.com/nzxt-rl-krg12-b1-gpu-mounting-kit/p/N82E16835146062?Description=gpu%20aio%20bracket&cm_re=gpu_aio_bracket-_-35-146-062-_-Product

in white and cheaper.
    https://www.newegg.com/nz...IAG7R8RY4673-_-Product

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: GTX 1080 Gaming HYBRID Pump died, how to fix without sacrificing aesthetics? 2019/07/17 00:21:29 (permalink)
    Nevermind...had brain gas and did not notice the -BR which is a one year warranty.

post edited by HeavyHemi - 2019/07/17 00:23:33

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

meritcs47
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: GTX 1080 Gaming HYBRID Pump died, how to fix without sacrificing aesthetics? 2019/08/07 08:17:47 (permalink)
    Hey all,

Just thought I'd inquire in this thread as well instead of creating a new thread. I'm starting to see 68C temps on my FTW 1080 Hybrid, which seems much higher than a hybrid card should be. The card is working brilliantly, no under-clocking or anything like that. But it is obvious the AIO is dying. I emailed EVGA about it and they were basically zero help, just telling me that the 10** parts are no longer in production and not available. Did not attempt to provide any help with mitigating my heat situation. I would consider buying a 20** hybrid kit to salvage the AIO out of it, because i'd rather spend more money doing that than doing a NZXT Kraken with a different AIO. 

Does anyone know if a Corsair H55 will work? I read briefly somewhere that it would work if you swap the plugs between the hybrid pump and the H55 pump, but i have not been able to find a definitive answer on that. I guess if all else absolutely fails, I'll be doing a Kraken w/AIO. But as OP said, I'd prefer to keep the factory aesthetics.

I'm also wondering if it's just a thermal paste issue. Not sure how much performance degrades over time, but I think before I do anything I will re-do the TIM with TG Kryonaut and see if that nets me any improvement. I've read about some pretty high temps resulting from aged/dried/cracked thermal paste.

Just kind of sucks because now i have a card that is otherwise perfect, but to EVGA it's just a dead card when the AIO fails. Which sucks. I work for a large company and we support our products for 5-7 years, most cases longer. So it would have been nice if EVGA would have atleast kept some pumps on hand for users to purchase and keep their older card going. Or at least make it compatible with an easily sourced AIO from Asetek or Corsair or something. Not everyone can afford to buy the new cards when they come out, but they apparently don't care about that. 
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: GTX 1080 Gaming HYBRID Pump died, how to fix without sacrificing aesthetics? 2019/08/07 08:32:01 (permalink)
    meritcs47
    Hey all,

Just thought I'd inquire in this thread as well instead of creating a new thread. I'm starting to see 68C temps on my FTW 1080 Hybrid, which seems much higher than a hybrid card should be. The card is working brilliantly, no under-clocking or anything like that. But it is obvious the AIO is dying. I emailed EVGA about it and they were basically zero help, just telling me that the 10** parts are no longer in production and not available. Did not attempt to provide any help with mitigating my heat situation. I would consider buying a 20** hybrid kit to salvage the AIO out of it, because i'd rather spend more money doing that than doing a NZXT Kraken with a different AIO. 

Does anyone know if a Corsair H55 will work? I read briefly somewhere that it would work if you swap the plugs between the hybrid pump and the H55 pump, but i have not been able to find a definitive answer on that. I guess if all else absolutely fails, I'll be doing a Kraken w/AIO. But as OP said, I'd prefer to keep the factory aesthetics.

I'm also wondering if it's just a thermal paste issue. Not sure how much performance degrades over time, but I think before I do anything I will re-do the TIM with TG Kryonaut and see if that nets me any improvement. I've read about some pretty high temps resulting from aged/dried/cracked thermal paste.

Just kind of sucks because now i have a card that is otherwise perfect, but to EVGA it's just a dead card when the AIO fails. Which sucks. I work for a large company and we support our products for 5-7 years, most cases longer. So it would have been nice if EVGA would have atleast kept some pumps on hand for users to purchase and keep their older card going. Or at least make it compatible with an easily sourced AIO from Asetek or Corsair or something. Not everyone can afford to buy the new cards when they come out, but they apparently don't care about that. 

Factory Hybrid card ?

1) EVGA does offer the inexpensive option of EVGA Extended Warranty for total of 5yr or 10 yr - within 90 days of purchase (I went with 10yr on my 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrids)

2) Basics:  Clean out the dust bunnies, Room Temp, have you cleaned the radiators, are your radiators set as intake ?  Case fans & speed - blow In or Out

MB header @ 100%

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: GTX 1080 Gaming HYBRID Pump died, how to fix without sacrificing aesthetics? 2019/08/07 12:15:03 (permalink)
    meritcs47
    Hey all,

Generally speaking, either the pump runs or it does not. It is a single speed pump. Your description sounds more like you need to redo the TIM on the card. So I agree with you that changing the TIM would be a good move, first.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

meritcs47
    Re: GTX 1080 Gaming HYBRID Pump died, how to fix without sacrificing aesthetics? 2019/08/07 13:38:51 (permalink)

Cool GTX

Factory Hybrid card ?

1) EVGA does offer the inexpensive option of for total of 5yr or 10 yr - within 90 days of purchase (I went with 10yr on my 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrids)

2) Basics:  Clean out the dust bunnies, Room Temp, have you cleaned the radiators, are your radiators set as intake ?  Case fans & speed - blow In or Out

MB header @ 100%

Factory hybrid yes.

I think I'm well outside the ability to buy the extended warranty. However i confirmed with EVGA that I am covered until Jan 2020.

I have cleaned the rads. My radiator is set as exhaust, at 100% via mobo header.

edit Cool GTX fix quote
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2019/08/07 13:45:19
    meritcs47
    Re: GTX 1080 Gaming HYBRID Pump died, how to fix without sacrificing aesthetics? 2019/08/07 13:47:49 (permalink)

HeavyHemi

Generally speaking, either the pump runs or it does not. It is a single speed pump. Your description sounds more like you need to redo the TIM on the card. So I agree with you that changing the TIM would be a good move, first.

Yes the pump works. However i am worried about evaporation of the fluid, and the cold plate getting clogged up. Basic AIO worries, being that they are not user serviceable. i will start with TIM though. Thanks for the replies guys

edit by Cool GTX fixed quote ... use your edit button & check how it should look when you quote.  Are you on mobile ?
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2019/08/07 13:50:13
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: GTX 1080 Gaming HYBRID Pump died, how to fix without sacrificing aesthetics? 2019/08/07 13:47:50 (permalink)
    Intake - coolest air to radiator will work better = lower temps

If the pump has failed there are no user serviceable parts ---> would require replacement of the AIO pump/radiator assembly

Glad it is under Warranty - EVGA RMA

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

meritcs47
    Re: GTX 1080 Gaming HYBRID Pump died, how to fix without sacrificing aesthetics? 2019/08/07 13:50:28 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Intake - coolest air to radiator will work better = lower temps

If the pump has failed there are no user serviceable parts ---> would require replacement of the AIO pump/radiator assembly

Glad it is under Warranty - EVGA RMA

The way my case configuration is, I cannot make it an intake currently. But i have an idea of how to make that happen that I might try in the near future. Involving 140>120 radiator/fan adapters lol

EVGA says the 10** parts are no longer made nor available, so if the cooler breaks I imagine it would just be a GPU replacement all together. I have ~5 more months of warranty coverage, so if it gets alot worse during that time i will try to RMA it. 
    yamabob76
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: GTX 1080 Gaming HYBRID Pump died, how to fix without sacrificing aesthetics? 2020/04/13 22:55:48 (permalink)
    I was wondering what you ended up doing? Im having the same issue with my 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid. One hose gets hot and the other does not show any signs of coolant flow due to no heat. I found that this is not a pump problem so your pump im willing to bet is still good.

Because one of your lines is hot and im guessing you can feel vibration this means your pump is working. If you feel your radiator close to wear that hose enters the prong you should feel it getting very hot while the rest of the radiator is still cold. Fluid is not flowing through the radiator....by gently tapping it on as if you were burping a baby you will see your temps drop dramatically at idle until you stop doing so.

I don't know exactly what type of blockage is causing this or why tilting or shaking the radiator does not help either, but im going to try and disassemble the radiator by removing the cores on the top and bottom. They look to be separate pieces and only being held on by metal tabs that have been bent over the top of them. Since my Hybrid system is junk anyways im willing to try and repair it while running on an air cooler for the time being. Ill report any findings!
    bankamule
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: GTX 1080 Gaming HYBRID Pump died, how to fix without sacrificing aesthetics? 2021/05/28 12:03:25 (permalink)
    yamabob76
    I was wondering what you ended up doing? Im having the same issue with my 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid. One hose gets hot and the other does not show any signs of coolant flow due to no heat. I found that this is not a pump problem so your pump im willing to bet is still good.

Because one of your lines is hot and im guessing you can feel vibration this means your pump is working. If you feel your radiator close to wear that hose enters the prong you should feel it getting very hot while the rest of the radiator is still cold. Fluid is not flowing through the radiator....by gently tapping it on as if you were burping a baby you will see your temps drop dramatically at idle until you stop doing so.

I don't know exactly what type of blockage is causing this or why tilting or shaking the radiator does not help either, but im going to try and disassemble the radiator by removing the cores on the top and bottom. They look to be separate pieces and only being held on by metal tabs that have been bent over the top of them. Since my Hybrid system is junk anyways im willing to try and repair it while running on an air cooler for the time being. Ill report any findings!

Did you ever figure out the answer to this?

I am having the exact same issue. One of the radiator hoses is very hot while the rest of the radiator is still cold. Were you able to disassemble the radiator to see what was going on?

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: GTX 1080 Gaming HYBRID Pump died, how to fix without sacrificing aesthetics? 2021/05/28 14:40:39 (permalink)
    bankamule
    yamabob76

Did you ever figure out the answer to this?

I am having the exact same issue. One of the radiator hoses is very hot while the rest of the radiator is still cold. Were you able to disassemble the radiator to see what was going on?

This thread may be useful.
    https://forums.evga.com/1...-m3281270.aspx#3300547

viceroy-karl
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re: GTX 1080 Gaming HYBRID Pump died, how to fix without sacrificing aesthetics? 2021/05/29 11:12:56 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    This thread may be useful.
    https://forums.evga.com/1...-m3281270.aspx#3300547

Thank you for referencing my post!

Crack it open and see why it failed and see if you can fix it. It's already not working so there isn't really any harm in investigating if you have the time. That's what I wound up doing with mine even though it was in warranty after I wasted money in shipping it back and forth for RMA just to be told it was fine.

I wouldn't hear excessive noise from the pump that would make me think there was a problem but the temperatures would very quickly head to 90 °C upon loading the gpu accompanied with a hot line coming from the card but a cool radiator. I only heard chugging when I took the card out and moved it around and go air stuck in the pump area where it couldn't easily escape due to the plugged up plate.

They're quite simple to fix if the pump motor still works and you are just looking at a low fluid or gummed up plate issue.

post edited by viceroy-karl - 2021/05/29 11:50:13
    jschu995
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re: GTX 1080 Gaming HYBRID Pump died, how to fix without sacrificing aesthetics? 2021/06/01 16:30:59 (permalink)
    Might as well open the cooler and try fixing yourself if you cant get rma
    knightostjohn
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 102
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re: GTX 1080 Gaming HYBRID Pump died, how to fix without sacrificing aesthetics? 2021/06/02 06:13:21 (permalink)
    I'm curious to see where this ended up as I might be having similar questions/problems with my setup. Pics of what you ended up going with?
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile