EVGA

Does EVGA have a Legal representation contact # ?

Author
Tgimp
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/07/13 19:23:52 (permalink)
I have had 2 980Ti pop and catch fire. The first ruined the card and my MSI X99 ACK motherboard that board was $500 and I now have a I-7 5960X sitting in a box. That's another $950 im out. Since the CPU socket was outdated I had to purchase a new mother board and CPU another $800. So $2250 later.... EVGA replaced the card as it was in warranty. The second Ti blew today. Red and orange flame then a beautiful orange glow in the exact same place as the first. Customer service said I was out of luck on the second card because its out of warranty. I researched burning cards and this seemed to also affect the 10 series. This isn't a random failure due to age of the product.This is a design flaw, lack of cooling and or cheap parts. What is more disturbing as this is accepted in the industry and the consumer is out hundreds if not thousands of $$$. Myself I don't find this acceptable. Not only am I worried my remaining 980Ti will eventually do the same but that I wont be sitting there when it happens.  

Attached Image(s)

21 Replies Related Threads

Chaos_21
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4524
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Does EVGA have a Legal representation contact # ? 2019/07/13 19:28:24 (permalink)
    kind of looks like damage from a soldering iron.

ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Intel Core i9-12900K- EVGA 360 CLC Cooler-Corsair Vengeance 4 x 16GB 3200mhz-2TB  Solidigm P41 Plus M.2 SSD--Three 1TB 970 EVO SSD's-EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA-Corsair HX1000i-Windows 11 64bit-Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Case.      
     Steam     Twitter: https://twitter.com/Chaos_21
     Use my associate code: JBGVM12HDYDJPIM to get 5%-10% discount on EVGA purchases.

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Does EVGA have a Legal representation contact # ? 2019/07/13 19:58:15 (permalink)
    Welcome to the Forum
    A very out of focus image.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21173
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Does EVGA have a Legal representation contact # ? 2019/07/13 20:12:02 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, the rate of EVGA 900 series cards' power stages burning out has skyrocketed. It has become a well established trend. There is no reason for anyone to doubt your story. Good luck on your endeavors!

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18926
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Does EVGA have a Legal representation contact # ? 2019/07/13 21:21:40 (permalink)

Hmm.. I have a 980 Ti SC sitting in my Mrs' desktop....  it doesn't get much use though.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11094
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Does EVGA have a Legal representation contact # ? 2019/07/13 21:29:20 (permalink)
    I am interested in that i7-5960x you have laying around if you want to get rid of it.

And I do still have 2 980Ti, maybe it is time to do that trade in on a new 20 series card.

Good luck OP, I know I would not be happy if my cards burst into flames.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Tgimp
    Re: Does EVGA have a Legal representation contact # ? 2019/07/13 22:39:12 (permalink)
    Its out of focus because the phone wont focus that close up. That's the best it can do. And no its not a solder job. that's a half melted chip. My last card was worse. As far as the 5960x I appreciate the offer but i'm still hunting for another motherboard to put it in. I have had EVGA since the 200 series and I always buy a pair for sli. This is the first cards I have ever had issues with. After reading other forums its happening a lot with the 9 and 10 series cards. With the strong reputation EVGA has built I am really surprised they didn't recall these cards. The only thing that's left is greed. It will take one house burning down and someone dying for them to do something about it. I saw an article where they were doing a software update to make the fans blow more to cool the cards & sending out kits to fix the issue or you could send in your card on the 10 series and they would replace the card with another. So they knew this was a issue even back to my 9 series and it carried over to the 10 series. Anyone who has these cards should be notified of the potential fire hazard. Im contacting an attorney Monday and a local TV station that covers consumer affairs. I'm simply tired of companies making millions off of consumers and were left with defective products based on poor design.  
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Does EVGA have a Legal representation contact # ? 2019/07/13 23:17:49 (permalink)
    Just a thought but if two separate cards did a similar failure within a short time period that would be a major hint that if the power supply was the same in both instances, that the PSU might be at fault, not the GPU. It's a sad fact, but most people look at the PSU as an afterthought in their builds when it's the heart of the build. A bad PSU can screw up a build fast and with catastrophic results.
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2019/07/13 23:19:05
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Does EVGA have a Legal representation contact # ? 2019/07/13 23:21:33 (permalink)
    Tgimp
    Its out of focus because the phone wont focus that close up. That's the best it can do. And no its not a solder job. that's a half melted chip. My last card was worse. As far as the 5960x I appreciate the offer but i'm still hunting for another motherboard to put it in. I have had EVGA since the 200 series and I always buy a pair for sli. This is the first cards I have ever had issues with. After reading other forums its happening a lot with the 9 and 10 series cards. With the strong reputation EVGA has built I am really surprised they didn't recall these cards. The only thing that's left is greed. It will take one house burning down and someone dying for them to do something about it. I saw an article where they were doing a software update to make the fans blow more to cool the cards & sending out kits to fix the issue or you could send in your card on the 10 series and they would replace the card with another. So they knew this was a issue even back to my 9 series and it carried over to the 10 series. Anyone who has these cards should be notified of the potential fire hazard. Im contacting an attorney Monday and a local TV station that covers consumer affairs. I'm simply tired of companies making millions off of consumers and were left with defective products based on poor design.  

This is more of a nvidia design problem than a evga problem. I would take my concerns to nvidia if your going to go that far with it.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18926
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Does EVGA have a Legal representation contact # ? 2019/07/14 00:26:24 (permalink)

Brad and WMMills both make very good points above. The fact the same issue has happened to 2 of your cards does bring into question the PSU being a factor (assuming it was the same rig). If you start contacting TV stations and making accusations that get on air, you could end up on the ugly end of a libel action. If you get an attorney who is half way decent, they will very likely tell you the same. It sucks certainly, but unless you can definitively prove fault, you could end up making things a lot worse for yourself. Be careful, and good luck.

post edited by Nereus - 2019/07/14 00:27:31

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Does EVGA have a Legal representation contact # ? 2019/07/14 01:57:58 (permalink)
    Nereus

Brad and WMMills both make very good points above. The fact the same issue has happened to 2 of your cards does bring into question the PSU being a factor (assuming it was the same rig). If you start contacting TV stations and making accusations that get on air, you could end up on the ugly end of a libel action. If you get an attorney who is half way decent, they will very likely tell you the same. It sucks certainly, but unless you can definitively prove fault, you could end up making things a lot worse for yourself. Be careful, and good luck.

My thoughts exactly.  Better bring certified evidence with huge backing when going against big tech.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11094
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Does EVGA have a Legal representation contact # ? 2019/07/14 02:20:38 (permalink)
    Have you called them and told them about the MB going out with the card?
    Be real nice, polite,  sweet talk them. get more flies with honey......

If anything it would be a small claims court action, you file and they get served to appear.
    Make your case to the judge. If you lose you may have to pay their court costs.
    And may vary from state to state on how it all works.  Lawyers could cost more than the value of the parts. If you use one that is.
    If not going with a lawyer be prepared to prove their product is faulty. there are a lot still in use with no issues.
    Sorry you having the issues. Seems like a lot cause most people do not go to a Co. web site to say how great the product is.
    They go there to complain about a faulty product so it seems out of proportion.
    Good luck what ever you do.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

STR1D3R_2
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1430
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: Does EVGA have a Legal representation contact # ? 2019/07/14 04:40:35 (permalink)
    In my trade I see a ton of damaged electrical components. In almost all cases it is due to poor or improper  wiring in a home. Old fuse style panels, cloth covered wire, poorly grounded panels, overloaded panels and or circuits, shorted circuits, loose connections, undersized wiring etc etc.
    Couple any one of the above with a component that draws a lot of power and runs hot and you WILL have an issue, over and over.
    Get your electrical system checked out by a licensed electrician asap for your own piece of mind. Additionally, in my experience, no cases will be heard without having that performed.
    post edited by STR1D3R_2 - 2019/07/14 04:56:51

Affiliate code E1HEL4HYPS
    JGLuxe
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7192
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Does EVGA have a Legal representation contact # ? 2019/07/14 07:41:32 (permalink)
    It was time for an upgrade anyways... who the heck is still using the 900 series?

Everyone wants to sue everyone these days... Welcome to America I guess.

i9-12900ks @ | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA

Tech_JoseC
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 383
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Does EVGA have a Legal representation contact # ? 2019/07/14 09:29:02 (permalink)
    Hello,

You can email us over at legal@evga.com as we do not have a phone number that you can call for that reason in particular. I'll forward this case to upper management but your graphics cards is a little bit over a year out of warranty at this point.

Thanks,
    Jose C.
    Tgimp
    Re: Does EVGA have a Legal representation contact # ? 2019/07/14 13:46:22 (permalink)
    Thank you Jose. I will send an email. For the rest who replied. Thank you for the feedback. I get it these are older cards and they don't last forever. But when 2 cards of the same series fail in the same way and there are plenty of internet posts of this happening to people other than myself and it happening to more than one series of cards. On top of that EVGA admitted there was a problem with the cooling of the cards and issued thermal pad kits to help resolve the issue. pcmag.com/news/349319/evga-patches-graphics-cards-to-stop-them-catching-fire  . It was not the power supply, as I tested it also. It is a EVGA 1600 P2. I swapped it out with a Thermaltake 850. If it really was the power supply then were back to EVGA. This is not about being whiny. This is a building frustration over recent years of failing products whether due to poor design or purchasing cheap part to to cut costs. Thermal pads cost pennies to produce and probably some number cruncher at corporate said we could save X # $$$ by not installing them and the money we will make will more than cover any that fail. This is all at the cost of the consumer. I'm not rich but I worked hard for the money I spend on these products. I research every part I put into a build and I try and buy the best. This is why I have been buying EVGA for so many years. Their customer service has always been top notch and the products generally stand the test of time. I am more frustrated as to the indifferent response I received when I called in. And a trusted company not doing the right thing. Stand behind your product when it fails! I don't want to take legal action but if that is my last and only recourse then so be it. I know the value of the time and work it took to make the money i used to purchase these products. But I wont be like today's generation of "Well that's just the way it is, deal with it". My mom will buy me another one.
    post edited by Tgimp - 2019/07/14 14:05:05
    Tech_JoseC
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 383
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Does EVGA have a Legal representation contact # ? 2019/07/14 14:36:36 (permalink)
    Tgimp

To address the article and to us admitting that there was something wrong with the cards, which we do not. This 'issue' only applied to the EVGA GeForce GTX 10 series of graphics cards, not the 900 series. The article could have been worded differently, but clicks need to be made. A BIOS patch cannot magically save a defective capacitor. We issued BIOS updates to increase the fan curve and offered the thermal pad mod to alleviate customer concerns about the temperatures of the VRM's, which were proven to not be overheating in the first place. Misinformation about the thermals were spreading. You can find a detailed and scientific analysis about this here https://www.gamersnexus.n...st-and-analysis/page-1
    pbniel
    • Total Posts : 96
    Re: Does EVGA have a Legal representation contact # ? 2019/07/15 05:49:58 (permalink)
    Not an attorney, but do review and construct insurance programs for large entities:

1. Manufacturers are responsible for their products and the resultant damage they do.

2. Replacing the product itself is usually a contractual warranty thing with the manufacturer setting the terms and the customer accepting them or going to litigation or obtaining government help like the state attorney general.

3. Liability for damage to other property or persons is usually covered under the manufacturers liability insurance for civil liability. If it can be proved that the manufacturer knew of the defect and did nothing - then it could become criminal. Criminal charges, in my experience, are very hard to prove but it has happened usually when a serious injury or death has occurred.

4. Manufacturers such as EVGA are often self-insured or have a large self-insured retention for their products insurance, so they try to avoid ever accepting liability for damage other than warranty. Additionally, they employ legal departments that would cost them little additional expense to defend individual lawsuits. These two factors make it an uphill battle for an individual to prove and pursue a case for resultant damage in court. Once again as in warranty coverage there is of course the alternative governmental route such the state attorney general or insurance department.

5. If it can be proved that the manufacturer acted in "bad faith" in handling the products liability claim this can open up punitive and/or other damages but this bar is even higher.

6. All litigation is costly - the going rate for attorneys is $500 to $1000 an hour unless you can get them to take the case on contingency where they get 30 to 50% of the award. Not many would take a case worth less than $5,000 on this basis. If you are able to get a class action going the usual payout is less than $100 per claim with the attorneys making a lot of money.

7. On a high level if the entire software and hardware computer industry were held fully responsible for it's products the damages to equipment, the lost time fixing problems (windows 10 updates), and replacing lost data would probably bankrupt every company out there including Microsoft so we would have no computers or at least any real innovation. Society would not look favorably on this vs a one off or even a class action.

All this means it probably is not worth your while to become an adversary - appealing to EVGA customer satisfaction is the best bet or simply vote with any future money.
    post edited by pbniel - 2019/07/15 05:51:19
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Does EVGA have a Legal representation contact # ? 2019/07/15 07:03:10 (permalink)
    I guess use at your own risk means nothing.
    By choosing to download the software, you affirm that EVGA Precision XOC is supplied "as-is". EVGA Corporation assumes no liability for damages, direct or consequential, which may result from the use of EVGA Precision XOC.

You must agree to the EVGA Precision XOC License Agreement to download the software.
                   I agree to the EVGA Precision XOC License Agreement above
    You have agreed to the EVGA Precision XOC License Agreement on 6/2/2016 10:52:30 AM

EVGA PRECISION XOC LICENSE AGREEMENT
    © 2016 EVGA Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
    This License Agreement is for Customer’s use of EVGA Precision XOC Software (the “Software”) and for any associated printed materials (the "Documentation" and, collectively with the Software, the “Licensed Materials”). The Software is licensed to Customer under this License Agreement by EVGA Corporation (“EVGA”) solely for use with EVGA’s VGA cards 10 series or higher (the “Corresponding VGA Cards”).  This License Agreement sets forth the terms and conditions of use of the Software only (and not of the Corresponding VGA Cards).
    By clicking to accept or agree to this License Agreement when downloading or installing the Software, you agree to comply with and be bound by this License Agreement. If you do not agree to this License Agreement, you must not install or use the Licensed Materials.  If the individual clicking to accept or agree to this License Agreement is doing so on behalf of a corporation or other entity who has purchased or obtained a Corresponding VGA Card, then you (the individual) represent and warrant that you have authority to bind such entity as the “Customer” hereunder and enter into this License Agreement on its behalf.  If the individual clicking to accept or agree to this License Agreement is not doing so on behalf of such an entity, then “Customer” refers to you (the individual).
    1. GRANT OF LICENSE
    EVGA hereby grants Customer the non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable right to (a) install the Software on one or more computers that incorporate one or more Corresponding VGA Cards, (b) use the Software solely with such Corresponding VGA Cards (and not with other graphics cards), and (c) make a reasonable number of back-up copies of such Software, subject to the below express restrictions and the other terms and conditions of this License Agreement.  Customer may also use and make a reasonable number of copies of the Documentation solely for Customer’s personal or internal use as applicable.
    2. RESTRICTION ON USE
    Customer shall not:
    • (a) reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; attempt in any other manner to obtain or derive the source code of, or any algorithms contained in, the Software; or attempt to disable any security devices or codes incorporated in the Software;
    • (b) modify, adapt or create derivative works of the Licensed Materials, or any portion therefore;
    • (c) reproduce or copy the Licensed Materials, except as expressly permitted in Section 1 above;
    • (d) distribute or transfer the Licensed Materials to any other person;
    • (e) use the Software for any commercial use, utilization and distribution, including but not limited to public demonstration or overclocking event, etc.; and
    • (f) separate any component part(s) of the Software for use on more than one computer, or otherwise used separately from the other parts.
    3. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
    Other than the express limited licenses granted hereunder, EVGA and its licensors retains all rights, title, and interest in the Licensed Materials, including in all rights in copyrights, patents, trademarks, trade secrets and other intellectual property rights underlying or covering the Licensed Materials.  Customer shall not alter, remove, or obscure any printed or displayed legal notices contained on or in copies of the Software.  The Software is protected by copyright laws and international copyright treaties, as well as other intellectual property laws and treaties.
    4. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
    TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND EVGA AND ITS AFFILIATES DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND OR NATURE, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY, RELATING TO OR ARISING FROM THE SOFTWARE, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. Without limiting the foregoing, Customer acknowledges and agrees that Customer is solely responsible for (a) verifying that the Software is being used with a Corresponding VGA Card of the appropriate version and model number, on a compatible computer and operating system; and (b) ensuring that any configuration or setting changes Customer makes to the Corresponding VGA Cards, including GPU clock offsets, memory clock offsets, fan speed, and voltage, are within manufacturer’s recommended ranges and safety and tolerance specifications.  EVGA shall have no obligation or liability for damage to the Corresponding VGA Cards, any other video cards, or any computer due to changes Customer elects to make with the Software to such hardware’s settings.
    TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL EVGA OR ITS AFFILIATES BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS, LOSS OF DATA, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF BUSINESS INFORMATION, OR ANY OTHER PECUNIARY LOSS) ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF EVGA HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
    5. TERMINATION
    Customer’s licenses and rights under this License Agreement shall terminate immediately upon Customer’s breach of any of the terms or conditions of this License Agreement. Upon any termination of this License Agreement or the licenses granted hereunder, Customer must destroy all copies of the Licensed Materials.  Sections 2, 3, 4 and 6 shall survive any termination of this License Agreement or the licenses granted hereunder.
    In addition, if Customer commences or participates in any legal proceeding against EVGA, then EVGA may, in its sole discretion, suspend or terminate all license grants and any other rights provided under this License Agreement during the legal proceedings.
    6. MISCELLANEOUS
    If any provision of this License Agreement is inconsistent with, or cannot be fully enforced under, applicable law, such provision will be construed as limited to the extent necessary to be consistent with and fully enforceable under the law. This License Agreement is the final, complete and exclusive License Agreement between the parties relating to the subject matter hereof, and supersedes all prior or contemporaneous understandings and agreements relating to such subject matter, whether oral or written. This License Agreement may only be modified in writing. Customer agrees that it will not ship, transfer or export the Software into any country or to any individual prohibited by any applicable export laws, restrictions or regulations. This License Agreement shall be construed pursuant to and governed by the laws of the State of California, without regard to its conflict of laws rules. The United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods is specifically disclaimed
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/07/15 07:07:29

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

pbniel
    Re: Does EVGA have a Legal representation contact # ? 2019/07/15 07:57:10 (permalink)
    You are right in many cases "use at your own risk" can mean nothing. These are so called contracts of Adhesion which are contracts drafted by one party (usually a business with stronger bargaining power) and signed by another party (usually one with weaker bargaining power, usually a consumer in need of goods or services). The second party typically does not have the power to negotiate or modify the terms of the contract. Adhesion contracts are commonly used for matters involving insurance, leases, deeds, mortgages, automobile purchases, and other forms of consumer credit. Courts carefully scrutinize adhesion contracts and sometimes void certain provisions because of the possibility of unequal bargaining power, unfairness, and unconscionability.
    The futility of pursuing claims like this comes more from an economic and ability to take stress than it does from the pure legal side. I see these types of waivers voided all the time at swimming pools, manufacturers of power equipment etc. In insurance this flows from the concept that you cannot or should not be able to contract away your own liability. If the customer is at fault it is another scenario.
    JGLuxe
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7192
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Does EVGA have a Legal representation contact # ? 2019/07/15 11:44:37 (permalink)
    pbniel
    Not an attorney, but do review and construct insurance programs for large entities:

1. Manufacturers are responsible for their products and the resultant damage they do. 

2. Replacing the product itself is usually a contractual warranty thing with the manufacturer setting the terms and the customer accepting them or going to litigation or obtaining government help like the state attorney general.

3. Liability for damage to other property or persons is usually covered under the manufacturers liability insurance for civil liability. If it can be proved that the manufacturer knew of the defect and did nothing - then it could become criminal. Criminal charges, in my experience, are very hard to prove but it has happened usually when a serious injury or death has occurred.

4. Manufacturers such as EVGA are often self-insured or have a large self-insured retention for their products insurance, so they try to avoid ever accepting liability for damage other than warranty. Additionally, they employ legal departments that would cost them little additional expense to defend individual lawsuits. These two factors make it an uphill battle for an individual to prove and pursue a case for resultant damage in court. Once again as in warranty coverage there is of course the alternative governmental route such the state attorney general or insurance department.

5. If it can be proved that the manufacturer acted in "bad faith" in handling the products liability claim this can open up punitive and/or other damages but this bar is even higher.

6. All litigation is costly - the going rate for attorneys is $500 to $1000 an hour unless you can get them to take the case on contingency where they get 30 to 50% of the award. Not many would take a case worth less than $5,000 on this basis. If you are able to get a class action going the usual payout is less than $100 per claim with the attorneys making a lot of money.

7. On a high level if the entire software and hardware computer industry were held fully responsible for it's products the damages to equipment, the lost time fixing problems (windows 10 updates), and replacing lost data would probably bankrupt every company out there including Microsoft so we would have no computers or at least any real innovation. Society would not look favorably on this vs a one off or even a class action.

All this means it probably is not worth your while to become an adversary - appealing to EVGA customer satisfaction is the best bet or simply vote with any future money.

First of all, This is straight from the FTC : 

• Does the warranty cover "consequential damages?" Many warranties do not cover damages caused by the product, or your time and expense in getting the damage repaired. For example, if your freezer breaks and the food spoils, the company will not pay for the lost food. 
    • Are there any conditions or limitations on the warranty? Some warranties provide coverage only if you maintain or use the product as directed. For example, a warranty may cover only personal uses—as opposed to business uses—of the product. Make sure the warranty will meet your needs.
    So technically, If it was the cause of damage, they are not liable for anything past the product that was damaged.

2nd of all, he should've bought extended warranty to help. This whole talk about lawsuits makes me sick, Take it as a lesson, go buy another companies product, who cares. I don't think the eVGA will care if a lawsuit hungry individual stops giving them money (Which it obviously isn't a lot of money, since you still have the 900 series)
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2019/07/15 13:11:00

i9-12900ks @ | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA

pbniel
    Re: Does EVGA have a Legal representation contact # ? 2019/07/19 03:27:32 (permalink)
    Agree that lawsuits may make you sick they do me also.

But:
    1. The FTC has little to do with civil liability.
    2. Warranties apply to the product and often try to throw in language about consequential damage but the consequential damage is product liability which is decided by a finder of fact (ie a court). 

As indicated there are some economic and logistical bars to recovery for consequential damages but it does happen (Microsoft has paid a few) even with a 73 page disclaimer. In the case of EVGA and the value of computer parts, I would still recommend appealing to their customer centric philosophy or just spend your money elsewhere

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile