Helpful ReplyEVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5004
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/16 14:16:34 (permalink)
Hey, did you ever figure out to get your GPU fans up to 100%?
5PTSLOW
  • Total Posts : 47
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/17 05:53:16 (permalink)
kevinc313
Hey, did you ever figure out to get your GPU fans up to 100%?

Hey Kevin,

Well, I found a sweet spot when I set the target power and range to 87% and I think it is around 71C as the temp target. I use the fan curve you suggested and when I called EVGA, they explained it is perfectly normal for temps to idle about 40-50C and be around 70-80C on full load. Even though I explained I'm not running max graphics and still getting over 70C, they insist there is nothing wrong.

In addition, they told me I can only RMA the card, but, I would get a used card as a result because I purchased from eBay (which they even pointed out is not authorized, but, they still warranty the item) and pay freight to them. All in all, it would take about two weeks to get a used card for my two-month old card. 

So, I'm trying to find a hybrid kit, but, no one has stock.

As of now, I dropped the coin and bought a new rig that I am bringing in today to get worked on.

i7-9700K
Corsair Dominator DDR4-3466 32GB RAM
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB 
Asus Maxmimus Hero IX
Dark Base Pro Rev 2 case - Silver
EVGA 1000W T2 PSU
Corsair H115i dual radiator liquid cooling
Hybrid kut GPU cooler in the future
Same GPU as I have now.

The fans have been steady at 80% speed and don't really go above that. 

Yesterday, temps never went above 68C for the hour I played. On Monday, fans hit 72C, but, never kicked on over 80% speed.  Sunday, the fans were all over the place with the same X1 configuration I've been running since we discussed this. 

However, I'm still not able to run games on max load without temps nearing 80C. My CPU under full load now, not overclocked barely hits 65C on the regular. So, to me, it seems the thermal paste helped, but, also this is a sign that airflow is decent in my case, maybe not optimal, though.

Going to keep the old rig for basic use. I've had this setup, minus the GPU for over 2.5 years now, so, an upgrade was due. 

Thanks for the help. I'll keep on this and report back once the new rig is done and confirm if I am still getting high temps even with a case that is designed for insane airflow :)

-Chris
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/17 11:53:33 (permalink)
The good news about building a new PC, you still have the older one to test your components on say if something was giving you issues with newer or any future components, other than CPUs and MBs that could be different sockets.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/18 10:57:58 (permalink)
5PTSLOWWell, I found a sweet spot when I set the target power and range to 87% and I think it is around 71C as the temp target. I use the fan curve you suggested and when I called EVGA, they explained it is perfectly normal for temps to idle about 40-50C and be around 70-80C on full load. Even though I explained I'm not running max graphics and still getting over 70C, they insist there is nothing wrong.
 -------
 ------- 

Yesterday, temps never went above 68C for the hour I played. On Monday, fans hit 72C, but, never kicked on over 80% speed.  Sunday, the fans were all over the place with the same X1 configuration I've been running since we discussed this. 

However, I'm still not able to run games on max load without temps nearing 80C. My CPU under full load now, not overclocked barely hits 65C on the regular. So, to me, it seems the thermal paste helped, but, also this is a sign that airflow is decent in my case, maybe not optimal, though.
 -------

It sounds like you're still on the stock bios fan curve which lets the card run 80C at 100% power.  

If you were using the curve I recommended, you would be hitting 100% fans at 70C.  

I'd STRONGLY recommend figuring how to run the GPU's fans at 100% before upgrading your PC or buying a hybrid kit.  It's really not even that loud.
5PTSLOW
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/18 11:05:22 (permalink)
kevinc313
5PTSLOWWell, I found a sweet spot when I set the target power and range to 87% and I think it is around 71C as the temp target. I use the fan curve you suggested and when I called EVGA, they explained it is perfectly normal for temps to idle about 40-50C and be around 70-80C on full load. Even though I explained I'm not running max graphics and still getting over 70C, they insist there is nothing wrong.
 -------
 ------- 

-------

It sounds like you're still on the stock bios fan curve which lets the card run 80C at 100% power.  

If you were using the curve I recommended, you would be hitting 100% fans at 70C.  

I'd STRONGLY recommend figuring how to run the GPU's fans at 100% before upgrading your PC or buying a hybrid kit.  It's really not even that loud.

Kevin - In the bios, the fans for the GPU were not listed. Just the case fans, CPU fan and the "external fan" which was the side panel fan on my case.

However, I did use the curve you suggested a page or two ago and was still going over 70C and the fans were increasing constantly in RPM getting louder and quieter.

I ended up calling EVGA Tech on Sunday and explained what curve I had loaded in the X1 and I was told it was way too aggressive and I should adjust the third bullet on both fan curves at 100% to 80C so they don't keep kicking on so much. This helped a bit, but, temps were pretty much consistently over 70C after an hour or so of gameplay. 

I did change them one time in X1 to 100% instead of auto and ran into an issue where they would go over max RPM listed for them and the EVGA tech kind of implied I was lying when I told them they were going that fast. 

At this point, since the build is in progress, I am going to test the GPU in the new case. If the same thing happens, then I will talk to EVGA again and hopefully get this figured out. 
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/18 12:03:06 (permalink)
5PTSLOW
In the bios, the fans for the GPU were not listed. Just the case fans, CPU fan and the "external fan" which was the side panel fan on my case.

However, I did use the curve you suggested a page or two ago and was still going over 70C and the fans were increasing constantly in RPM getting louder and quieter.

I ended up calling EVGA Tech on Sunday and explained what curve I had loaded in the X1 and I was told it was way too aggressive and I should adjust the third bullet on both fan curves at 100% to 80C so they don't keep kicking on so much. This helped a bit, but, temps were pretty much consistently over 70C after an hour or so of gameplay. 

I did change them one time in X1 to 100% instead of auto and ran into an issue where they would go over max RPM listed for them and the EVGA tech kind of implied I was lying when I told them they were going that fast. 

At this point, since the build is in progress, I am going to test the GPU in the new case. If the same thing happens, then I will talk to EVGA again and hopefully get this figured out. 

Sorry, let me clarify.  

The GPU card itself has a bios, that is the bios that I'm referring to.  It has a fan curve built into the bios, that will set the fan speed if you are running the card without Afterburner or X1, or it you don't activate fan control in those.

EVGA thinks it's perfectly OK for YOUR (and everyone's) GPU to run at 100% power, 80C and 70% fans, per the stock bios.  Thus they think that 100% fans at 80C is ok.  I think that's a bit (crazy) on the hot side.    IMHO that's too hot.  Like I said before, my fans are 100% by 65C, I don't think my card has ever gone above 70C.

If your curve was set to 100% at 70C and working properly, the fans should be totally constant at 100% when the card is 70C or over.  If the temp is swinging up and down wildly, it's because of a variable load (from the game) on the GPU making it alternatively heat up and cool off.

If you can't get the fan and temp to stabilize with a curve, I recommend you manually locking the GPU fans at a fixed level using X1.  Preferably at 100%, or at least 90%.  Then do some gaming and adjust your power level settings till you hit a comfortable equilibrium temp. 

Or you could set your GPU fan curve to go 100% by 50C or 55C, that way at any gaming power levels you lock in at max fans.
post edited by kevinc313 - 2019/07/18 12:08:58
5PTSLOW
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/18 12:04:56 (permalink)
kevinc313
5PTSLOW
In the bios, the fans for the GPU were not listed. Just the case fans, CPU fan and the "external fan" which was the side panel fan on my case.

Sorry, let me clarify.  

The GPU card itself has a bios, that is the bios that I'm referring to.  It has a fan curve built into the bios, that will set the fan speed if you are running the card without Afterburner or X1, or it you don't activate fan control in those.

EVGA thinks it's perfectly OK for YOUR (and everyone's) GPU to run at 100% power, 80C and 70% fans, per the stock bios.  I think that's a bit (crazy) on the hot side.  Thus they think that 100% fans at 80C is ok.  IMHO that's too hot.  Like I said before, my fans are 100% by 65C.  

If you can't get the fan and temp to stabilize with a curve, I recommend you manually locking the GPU fans at a fixed level using X1.  Preferably at 100%, or at least 90%.  Then do some gaming and adjust your power level settings till you hit a comfortable equilibrium temp. 

Or you could set your GPU fan curve to go 100% by 50C or 55C, that way at any gaming power levels you lock in at max fans.

That could work.

I'll try this on the build and report back with my results.

Thanks again for the help.

-Chris
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/18 12:11:17 (permalink)
5PTSLOW
That could work.

I'll try this on the build and report back with my results.

Thanks again for the help.

-Chris

Cool good luck.  I think you'll find that the fans on 100% really aren't that loud compared to case fans and do a pretty good job cooling. If that doesn't work you may have a TIM or cooler issue like the guy in the other thread.
djayyy
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/19 09:20:58 (permalink)
I had this issue on my 2080ti Black Edition which resulted in me removing the cooler, reapplying the TIM and fitting a Hybrid Cooler. Since then my card has been fantastic, It never goes over 62c now even when overclocked. The stock cooler is not fit for purpose as far as i'm concerned. 

5PTSLOW
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/20 10:06:56 (permalink)
Update - 

Just got the new setup complete.

CPU temps with the new case that has awesome airflow and a dual 280MM radiator cooler are now around 50-55C under heavy load.

GPU temps, however, are over 72-74C if I set up a custom fan curve at 100% fan power under heavy load. 

I found a reasonable spot where I use a custom fan curve that helps keep the fans from going on and off all the time, but, the GPU power is set around 80% with a target temp of 78C. Temps are steady around 70-72C and they don't kick on past 80%. But, I cannot run it full on without the fans hitting 100% constantly and revving up and down.

The new case is WAY bigger than my previous case, with a LOT of airflow as show by the major decrease in temps from the CPU.

With this being said, if I do in fact get my hands on a GPU cooler from EVGA and temps still don't reduce to the point where the fans do not have to run at 100% (they are loud, even in this case) I'll probably reach out to EVGA. However, once the GPU is disassembled, I will get a picture of the thermal paste and the rest of the inside and post it here. 

-Chris
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/20 12:32:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby 5PTSLOW 2019/07/20 13:05:19
Humm.  Try manually setting your fans until you find a volume level you are comfortable with.  Say 90%.  Then make a custom curve that ramps up to 90% at 45C, then stays flat at 90% until 80C, at which it ramps up to 100%.  Then gradually increase your power level until your temps are floating in the mid 70's, use the onscreen display to watch the temps and fan speed vs. gpu use and power level.
5PTSLOW
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/27 19:29:27 (permalink)
Update - Finally got the EVGA cooler installed.

Also, the tech found that the TIM was very poorly applied and a nice chunk of the GPU had no TIM on it when he pulled the GPU apart.

Happy to report that on 100% power, with the GPU fan set to 50% to keep noise levels down with the cooler fan on 100%, graphics set to max, after 1 hour of playing.....wait for it....48C was the max. 

I think a combination of the TIM that was poorly done from the factory along with the cooler, temps are dropping roughly 25C. I recommend anyone with higher temps to get the EVGA Hybrid Kit. Personally, I think it should be offered on ALL 2080ti cards considering the price you already pay for them and not to mention the fact that a LOT of people are seeing higher temps than what most are, even if they are deemed "within spec".

Photos Below: 

Hurikane71
  • Total Posts : 33
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/28 07:58:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby 5PTSLOW 2019/07/28 09:15:15
Great to see you got it all worked out. Since you have an Asus motherboard I would suggest grabbing their AISuite3 software to control your fan speeds. It works amazing to control each fan in your system to tune the temps and noise you want. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-HERO-WI-FI/HelpDesk_Download/ it is under utilities. As someone mentioned early, I love Evga but I found using MSI Afterburner software for the Gpu is much easier to setup. Of course you have to disable at startup the Precision X1 for MSI AB to work. I hope your new PC gives you years of great service.
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/28 11:30:21 (permalink)
5PTSLOW
Update - Finally got the EVGA cooler installed.

Also, the tech found that the TIM was very poorly applied and a nice chunk of the GPU had no TIM on it when he pulled the GPU apart.

Happy to report that on 100% power, with the GPU fan set to 50% to keep noise levels down with the cooler fan on 100%, graphics set to max, after 1 hour of playing.....wait for it....48C was the max. 

I think a combination of the TIM that was poorly done from the factory along with the cooler, temps are dropping roughly 25C. I recommend anyone with higher temps to get the EVGA Hybrid Kit. Personally, I think it should be offered on ALL 2080ti cards considering the price you already pay for them and not to mention the fact that a LOT of people are seeing higher temps than what most are, even if they are deemed "within spec".

Photos Below: 

That's an amazing result, glad to hear it all worked out in the end!
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile