EVGA

getting random driver crashes, but i cant trigger it to crash

Author
philhalo66
  • Total Posts : 92
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/07/06 18:31:07 (permalink)
Okay so basically my drivers have been crashing for 2-3 months very randomly. i cant seem to trigger a crash. I ran furmark for over 30 minutes and it got hot as hell but didnt crash. i ran timespy extreme for well over 2 hours without issue, ran heaven for a few hours and didnt crash. But i play wow for an hour or 2 and sometimes it will crash multiple times but not always. i reinstalled the nvidia driver using DDU a few days ago and it seemed fine it had way less crashes but an hour ago it did it again. im at the end of my rope here, i dont know what could be causing this. i monitor GPU temps and when it crashed earlier it was 66C and turboing to 1974MHz my system is as follows
Intel 9900k stock
Gigabyte aorus Z390 PRO
16GB DDR4 stock 3600MHz
Corsair RM850i (watched voltages and power it was within spec)

POWDERED DONUTS MAKE ME GO NUTS!

12 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: getting random driver crashes, but i cant trigger it to crash 2019/07/06 18:56:20 (permalink)
    remove All OC on your system

Some MB will OC the BCLK - this will OC the PCIe lanes

What software is running with you game ?

Playing online ?

try WhoCrashed

try Older drivers

Are you using a UPS ?  could it be a possible power issue ?  like when refrigerator, A/C or microwave comes on it causes a power drop ?

Running XMP for your RAM ? remove & set manually RAM timing & Voltage

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

philhalo66
    Re: getting random driver crashes, but i cant trigger it to crash 2019/07/06 19:25:15 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    remove All OC on your system

Some MB will OC the BCLK - this will OC the PCIe lanes

What software is running with you game ?

Playing online ?

try WhoCrashed

try Older drivers

Are you using a UPS ?  could it be a possible power issue ?  like when refrigerator, A/C or microwave comes on it causes a power drop ?

Running XMP for your RAM ? remove & set manually RAM timing & Voltage

i forgot to mention, everything is 100% stock including the PCI-E lanes. i have tried running nothing but the game and it still crashes so its nothing with that.
    i will try older drivers tonight. right now i got the card removed in an attempt to test the game but intel hd graphics isnt supported anymore so i cant even isolate the card itself. i am not running a UPS but i have monitored the voltage in the outlet with a high end multimeter at the suggestion of a friend. voltage is rock solid stable at 118.3V for over 96 hours of checking. its on a dedicated circuit so i dont think its a brown out issue.
    i am running the ram at XMP but i've had this system since march 13th and only recently has drivers been crashing. honestly i dont want to mess with the ram settings this motherboard isnt super accurate for voltage settings but XMP is rock solid 1.35V for some reason.

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: getting random driver crashes, but i cant trigger it to crash 2019/07/06 20:01:21 (permalink)
    Well, Wow is a bad game to test cause its highly cpu dependent and its highly internet dependent.... either one can cause crashes but both together can almost guarantee it. Are you using mods on wow? What hdd/ssd make/models are you using for the wow install? the O/S install? How filled are they? It sounds like your running the whole system on auto, in bios, which isn't a great thing to do for stability so you may want to manually setup the voltages for your ram and cpu and the ram timings with a 2 for command rate and see where that gets ya.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    philhalo66
    Re: getting random driver crashes, but i cant trigger it to crash 2019/07/06 23:15:07 (permalink)
    wmmills
    Well, Wow is a bad game to test cause its highly cpu dependent and its highly internet dependent.... either one can cause crashes but both together can almost guarantee it. Are you using mods on wow? What hdd/ssd make/models are you using for the wow install? the O/S install? How filled are they? It sounds like your running the whole system on auto, in bios, which isn't a great thing to do for stability so you may want to manually setup the voltages for your ram and cpu and the ram timings with a 2 for command rate and see where that gets ya.

well a full rundown of my system is
    Intel Core i9 9900K stock 4.7 1.25V
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 (oc or stock drivers crash regardless of the settings) 
    16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3600MHz
    Intel 660P 512GB NVME SSD only windows and a select few games mostly older titles like halo ce and battlefront 2 (2005)
    Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (wow is on here as well as most of my games)
    seagate 2TB 2.5 inch just storage here no games or anything related to windows
    HGST 2TB 3.5 inch same as the 2.5 just storage
    Corsair RM850i (i monitor temps and voltages and amps closely all are well within intel and ATX spec)
    Windows 10 1809 (i did install 1903 but had stability issues so i rolled back, it forced 1903 twice and i had to rollback twice maybe this is the cause?)
    the NVME drive is little bit more than 50% full only windows and a select few games are on it though not wow. my 1TB SSD is nearly full 89GB free. my HGST drive is over 90% full but its only for ripped DVD's and backups . the 2.5 inch is less than 50% full its same deal as the 3.5 inch its a redundancy backup.

I really dont thinkg its my processor i ran assassins creed origins which is far more cpu dependent than wow is for hours and hours a day for months and never had a single issue, ram timings are on XMP so im thinking its fine but ill take a look at the timings and see if they match the ratings. i am using a few addons for wow but only 3, classic UI, recount and world quest tracker all of them are up to date, but i have tried without any and driver still crashes.

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: getting random driver crashes, but i cant trigger it to crash 2019/07/07 01:11:22 (permalink)
    Set your ram down to 2666 mhz.
    philhalo66
    Re: getting random driver crashes, but i cant trigger it to crash 2019/07/07 11:06:56 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Set your ram down to 2666 mhz.

still crashing the driver even at 2133. im starting to think its the graphics card itself. i do have another system i can test it in but its in pieces so it would be a real pain. i also have an older HX650 power supply to go with it. im going to re-install windows first. i really hope that solves it. since i rolled back 2 or 3 times im thinking windows may just be screwed up.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: getting random driver crashes, but i cant trigger it to crash 2019/07/07 11:33:23 (permalink)
    If you have Not started the Reinstall of Windows is Assassins Creed Origins - Still Rock solid with no crashes ?

thanks for the update, let us know how it goes after the Clean reinstall of Windows

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

philhalo66
    Re: getting random driver crashes, but i cant trigger it to crash 2019/07/07 19:47:18 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    If you have Not started the Reinstall of Windows is Assassins Creed Origins - Still Rock solid with no crashes ?

thanks for the update, let us know how it goes after the Clean reinstall of Windows

i didnt get a re-install yet but year just ran Assassins Creed Origins for like 3 hours with a hefty OC on the GPU too 2126MHz never once crashed or throttled or did anything weird. and i had a movie playing on the second monitor i got too. IDK why WoW is crashing the driver, maybe its something to do with the game itself.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: getting random driver crashes, but i cant trigger it to crash 2019/07/08 10:08:08 (permalink)
    philhalo66
    Cool GTX

i didnt get a re-install yet but year just ran Assassins Creed Origins for like 3 hours with a hefty OC on the GPU too 2126MHz never once crashed or throttled or did anything weird. and i had a movie playing on the second monitor i got too. IDK why WoW is crashing the driver, maybe its something to do with the game itself.

"just ran Assassins Creed Origins for like 3 hours with a hefty OC on the GPU too 2126MHz never once crashed" 

Was this with RAM back @ 3600MHz when running Assassins Creed Origins ? 

Defiantly the Game Wow - causing your crashes

memory leaks ?
    Nvidia driver issue with that specific game ?

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: getting random driver crashes, but i cant trigger it to crash 2019/07/08 14:22:37 (permalink)
    Glad to hear it was just a game related issue.
    philhalo66
    Re: getting random driver crashes, but i cant trigger it to crash 2019/07/09 11:09:02 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    philhalo66
    Cool GTX

"just ran Assassins Creed Origins for like 3 hours with a hefty OC on the GPU too 2126MHz never once crashed" 

Was this with RAM back @ 3600MHz when running Assassins Creed Origins ? 

Defiantly the Game Wow - causing your crashes

memory leaks ?
    Nvidia driver issue with that specific game ?

yep i put the memory back to XMP settings so it was 3600Mhz. considering how bad the new wow expansion was made im not surprised its buggy and causing driver crashes. I further tested it with assassin's creed odyssey at 4K for about an hour and change still no crashes. It could be a memory leak, more than once i noticed wow's exe using well over 4GB in the new zones. not even ARK uses that much ram with well known memory leaks.

thanks for the help guys, hopefully things are 100% solved now.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: getting random driver crashes, but i cant trigger it to crash 2019/07/09 11:24:40 (permalink)
    Happy to Help

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile