EVGA

2080 ti FTW3 Waterblock question

Author
jrwininger
  • Total Posts : 88
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/06/14 13:06:46 (permalink)
I'm currently running a Corsair H100i Platinum for my CPU and using the air cooled 2080 ti FTW3 Ultra.  I plan to put everything on a Corsair Hydro X custom loop.  Given the length of the FTW3 PCB, I can't fit a 360mm radiator and pump/reservoir in the front of the case (Corsair 570x).  It appears as though I can place a 120mm rad in the back and top front...and a 240mm rad in the top.  Would a single 120mm rad in the back and a 240mm rad in the top be sufficient for cooling a 9900k (not currently overclocked) and the 2080 ti Hydro Copper?  Would such a config look strange aesthetically?

11 Replies Related Threads

jasoncodispoti
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 628
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Waterblock question 2019/06/14 14:25:16 (permalink)
    I am not sure that is going to be enough... maybe others can chime in with there thoughts.

The general rule of thumb is that you need 120mm of radiator per device and 240mm of radiator per device that will be overclocked. That puts you at needing between 240mm and 480mm of radiator to account for overclocking. 

I used the EKWB configuration tool with the following settings...
    • Case, Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB
    • Motherboard, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Wi-Fi (you didnt state in your original post the MB you were using so I improvised)
    • CPU, Intel i9-9900k
    • GPU, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro Copper
    • RAM, 4 DIMMS 
    • Indicated that you wanted to liquid cool the CPU and GPU only. 
    • Chose the main reason for liquid cooling to be Overclocking Performance. 
    Based off of the above settings EKWB suggested using SE 240 on top and an SE 360 on the front, and an SE 120 in the rear of the case. EKWB appears to be indicating that your case is limited to the Slim Edition Radiators only (SE). The top appears to support up to a 240mm rad, front supports up to a 360mm rad, and the rear will support a 120mm rad only. I personally do not believe that the radiator they are recommending in the rear of the case is needed and would instead suggest using only the 240mm rad and the 360mm rad (at most). I would also recommend doing some measuring to see if it would be possible to fit something like a 360mm PE rad in the front of the case and a 240 SE rad in the top. EKWB estimates the total head load of your system to be around 600w which is probably about right they also estimate the cooling capacity of a 360mm PE rad to be 597w. It would not be a low noise setup, but I think that if you really wanted to (and assuming that it would fit) a single 360mm PE rad in the front of the case may be all that you need.

Note: 
    My suggestion to use a 360mm rad ONLY in the front is based off of; An assumed room temp of no more than 74F, decent quality fans think Noctua, and using a rad that is at least as thick as a EKWB PE rad.   

Remember when measuring to see if it would fit to take into account that you will need space for the fans, the radiator, the reservoir, and the pump. 
    post edited by jasoncodispoti - 2019/06/14 14:50:10

Intel Core i7-9800x | EVGA X299 Dark| EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | EKWB Liquid Cooled Loop | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2

jasoncodispoti
    SSC Member
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Waterblock question 2019/06/14 14:33:13 (permalink)
    I attempted to use Corsairs configuration tool thinking that they would know what fits in the case. However it does not appear that they have a water block for the air cooled EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra also they are indicating that only "stage 1" cooling is available for your setup, which appears to just be a single 120mm rad in the rear of the case and a single 120mm rad in the front of the case (IMO this would not be enough for cooling both the CPU and GPU).

Personally I would not go with Corsair especially since they are saying it will cost $615.86 for x2 120mm rads, pump/reservoir combo, fans, tubing, and fittings. At that price I am pretty sure that you could do a full EKWB build with higher quality parts. Plus these are all untested products... and when liquid cooled products fail it usually means they leak, electricity and liquid dont mix too well. 
    post edited by jasoncodispoti - 2019/06/14 14:37:00

Intel Core i7-9800x | EVGA X299 Dark| EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper | 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum | EKWB Liquid Cooled Loop | Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2

AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6681
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Waterblock question 2019/06/14 14:55:56 (permalink)
    No chance..

Buy a new case. Try for 360 rad per device. Both those devices are HOT! Well a 240 rad may be ok for the GPU but still.. new case and get one that fits either dual 480 or dual 360 rads.. just make sure you can fit a 360 rad in top at the same time have one in front. Sometimes the front rad will block the top so you'll have to go with a 240 on top or vise versa.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
    Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
    G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
    EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
    34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
    Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    jrwininger
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Waterblock question 2019/06/14 18:52:30 (permalink)
    jasoncodispoti
    I attempted to use Corsairs configuration tool thinking that they would know what fits in the case. However it does not appear that they have a water block for the air cooled EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra also they are indicating that only "stage 1" cooling is available for your setup, which appears to just be a single 120mm rad in the rear of the case and a single 120mm rad in the front of the case (IMO this would not be enough for cooling both the CPU and GPU).

Personally I would not go with Corsair especially since they are saying it will cost $615.86 for x2 120mm rads, pump/reservoir combo, fans, tubing, and fittings. At that price I am pretty sure that you could do a full EKWB build with higher quality parts. Plus these are all untested products... and when liquid cooled products fail it usually means they leak, electricity and liquid dont mix too well. 

I was initially looking at the Corsair Hydro X products because they seemed more accessible for someone new to custom water loops.  However, their pump/reservoir can only be mounted vertically, which prevents me from mounting a 360mm rad in front.  However, I've noticed that the EK pump/reservoir can be mounted horizontally...meaning I could mount it under the GPU and then have room in the front for a 360mm rad. It also looks like their SE 240 will fit on the top of my case.  Are there any issues with mounting the pump horizontally?  Also, will there be any issues use the EVGA waterblock vs the EK (since I've already purchased the EVGA version)?
    post edited by jrwininger - 2019/06/14 19:20:41
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Waterblock question 2019/06/14 19:45:35 (permalink)
    jasoncodispoti

Actually their prices aren't so bad after all plus, some of the folks that joined Corsair were some of the guys from EK a while back.

jrwininger

I was initially looking at the Corsair Hydro X products because they seemed more accessible for someone new to custom water loops.  However, their pump/reservoir can only be mounted vertically, which prevents me from mounting a 360mm rad in front.  However, I've noticed that the EK pump/reservoir can be mounted horizontally...meaning I could mount it under the GPU and then have room in the front for a 360mm rad. It also looks like their SE 240 will fit on the top of my case.  Are there any issues with mounting the pump horizontally?  Also, will there be any issues use the EVGA waterblock vs the EK (since I've already purchased the EVGA version)?

You can install the pump/res combo horizontal or vertical to a fan or at least on a fan placement of the case.  Might need to use some type of rubber washers for the vibrations unless it's included in the kit.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    jrwininger
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Waterblock question 2019/06/14 19:54:46 (permalink)

You can install the pump/res combo horizontal or vertical to a fan or at least on a fan placement of the case.  Might need to use some type of rubber washers for the vibrations unless it's included in the kit.

Are you sure?  The Corsair documentation states that it must be installed vertically?
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Waterblock question 2019/06/14 22:05:12 (permalink)
    jrwininger

Are you sure?  The Corsair documentation states that it must be installed vertically?

I should have been more clear.  You can mount it to a vertical or horizontal fan mount, not the actual pump/res combo as that has to stay vertical as seen in the examples.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    jrwininger
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Waterblock question 2019/06/15 01:18:59 (permalink)
    Are there any issues with mixing EKWB pump/res with other Corsair Hydro X stuff?  They offer a pump/res that will fit correctly in my case.  I'm assuming it uses standard G 1/4 ports.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Waterblock question 2019/06/15 03:31:10 (permalink)
    jrwininger
    Are there any issues with mixing EKWB pump/res with other Corsair Hydro X stuff?  They offer a pump/res that will fit correctly in my case.  I'm assuming it uses standard G 1/4 ports.

The standard is G 1/4 ports but I always double check.

As for mixing mfgers, yes you can just make sure it's not the gaming line from EK that is aluminum based only.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    jasoncodispoti
    SSC Member
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Waterblock question 2019/06/15 08:39:26 (permalink)
    @GTXJackBauer what has tunred me off to the Corsair products is Linus recent video,  https://youtu.be/iOd64ozt3lw. Plus its just untested tech at this point and Corsair power supplies seem to be dropping like flies ever since the RTX release. 

@jrwininger this forum is a great resource for information however I would suggest that you go over to the Watercooling Sub-Reddit and ask your original question. You may even find someone over there that has the same case and setup that you are looking to go with that can provide some information for you. 

For a point of reference I have an EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro Copper and an Intel i7-9800x that are both liquid cooled using x1 EKWB SE 360mm radiator and a x1 PE 360mm radiator. I am using Noctua 120mm NF-F12 fans on the radiators and x4 Noctua 140mm NF-A14 fans for the case. The x3 fans on the 360mm PE radiator never spin faster than 1,000 RPM and I dont have any cooling issues. Your CPU is most likely not going to produce as much heat as mine (overclocked to 4.7GHz)... However once again I would head over to the Watercooling Sub-Reddit and see what they say. 

Link To Watercooling Sub-Reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooling/
    post edited by jasoncodispoti - 2019/06/15 08:46:09

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Waterblock question 2019/06/15 09:22:22 (permalink)
    jasoncodispoti
    @GTXJackBauer what has tunred me off to the Corsair products is Linus recent video,  https://youtu.be/iOd64ozt3lw. Plus its just untested tech at this point and Corsair power supplies seem to be dropping like flies ever since the RTX release. 

While I enjoy some of his very knowledgeable videos, what he should have said was, don't use distilled and biocide only or just water but use premixed fluids from reputed companies like I have since I made the switch.  That's the corrosion on his block since he never put anti corrossive in his loop but only anti growth as most do.  Plus most anti growth is silver based which is bad, bad news for nickle plating, especially EK's which he ironically was using on his GPU in the video.  Many mistakes he just brushed off and told everyone, 'it's all ok'. lol

Edit: I didn't complete the video while I posted this because I had so much to say and didn't want to forget.  I was just at Corsair's forums asking about their new CPU blocks.  While I'm interested in their black CPU block for when I do the CPU/MB/RAM upgrade, I was disappointed to see that the 'IN' port is on the right side of the CPU block and not on the left when most loops I've seen run a clockwise flow pattern, especially for a cylinder res/pump platform.  You'll either have to criss cross your tubing like Linus just did for example or install the the WB upside down.

As for Corsair's new gear, don't be too alarmed because two of the top guy's at EK have joined their team a few years back so you can guess they know what they're doing.

As for their PSUs, I have mixed feelings about them since I experienced a nasty blow out that took out 3 things including a MB and GPU in 2014 when I made the PC upgrade than. Long story short, all parties involved took care of me, that includes EVGA since their MB and GTX 480 was involved.  The issue seemed to be the Corsair PSU had an old firmware unknown to customers that didn't have the protections in place until Windows was loaded with Corsair Link to software enabled it when majority of PSUs are hardware enabled off the start.  Nonetheless, their PSUs have received their newer firmware unknown to everyone as my replacement AX1200i did as well.  (Found out through a reviewer who did a lot of investigating on the matters is where I concluded what had happened to me as well.)  It was a tough 4+ months but my secondary old rig kept me sane for the time being while I was down. 

Till this day I'd still buy a Corsair PSU, of course secondary to a Seasonic but it's still kinda of a tossup for me between the two because I get attracted to devices that have software implementation for monitoring and control.  Of course with working software and great CS is the big seller for me as well and always has been.

Did I say long story short, I lied! 
    post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2019/06/15 09:29:43

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile