RTX 2070 XC Ultra - Fan keeps turning on and off

Author
Flogger23m
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 118
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/06/12 13:44:16 (permalink)
The fan on my RTX 2070 XC Ultra keeps turning on, and then off instantly. Only for the process to repeat again in a few seconds. The noise is louder than a consistent low level of RPM. This seems to have started a few months back and I assume that is due to rising ambient temperature as the season changes.

The problem is, my previous cards (MSI GTX 970, EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition) did not have this issue. They would essentially stay quiet until a 3D application started and then spool up the fans. With the 2070 even at idle you consistently hear the fans spool up and then off. It simply isn't a quiet card unlike previous models. Is there any fix for this?

I know I can move the target temperature the fans start up to something else, either lower or higher, but then when the ambient temperatures change again we'll be back to square one. Lets say we target 50C, it will start turning the fans on and off immediately again. For reference, I think the default is 55C.

I will also note that despite being a 3 slot cooler, the card is notably louder under load than the GTX 1070 SC Black that it replaced. Not horrifically loud, but noticeably louder. Seems like a regression for those of us who want quiet PCs.

And a video of what the fans do at idle:
https://www.youtube.com/w...Q&feature=youtu.be

2 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30974
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: RTX 2070 XC Ultra - Fan keeps turning on and off 2019/06/12 14:17:20 (permalink)
    If you increase your case fan speeds does the card stay cooler ?

What resolution & refresh is your monitor(s) ?

Hardware acceleration turned on in your browser ? (turn it off)

With X1 you could raise the hysteresis setting from the default of 0 to say 5.  Then if your fan turns on @ 50C it would not turn off until 45C

Set your fan to run say at 25 - 30% all the time as the new baseline speed (minimum speed)

You could share some details about your PC, case fans .......

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Flogger23m
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 118
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: RTX 2070 XC Ultra - Fan keeps turning on and off 2019/06/12 14:42:20 (permalink)
    The fan on/off seems to occur even when browsers are closed. Monitor is 1440P but I don't think resolution has much of anything to do with a GPU fan. Refresh rate should be 120, but it looks like it is currently 85 in the monitor settings (Acer Predator). Edit: Switched back to 120hz via nvidia control panel. Monitor is a Acer Predator xb271hu but I doubt monitors have anything to do with GPU fan hardware. Obviously the fans will still turn on/off instantly even if the monitor is disconnected physically.

I am going to assume the only "fix" for EVGA's RTX cooler is to enable a fan profile that runs 24/7 at a low RPM. Not exactly ideal since it has been done in the past flawlessly and advertised as having a being able to turn off fans completely at idle. Can't say I am happy,  especially since the card is louder than the old GTX 1070 it replaced at load. Seems like EVGA is consistently regressing each generation.

post edited by Flogger23m - 2019/06/12 15:06:06
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile